Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 14:23

Plan: CALP
Stats: 252.8/251.6/160
BF:
Progress: 1%
Post Vacation Advice

Ok, I am going to be doing a lot of vacation traveling later this month. Of course I don't want to ruin the good work that I am doing so far.
Most of these trips I will be staying in other people homes.
Any suggestions (Especially about breakfast)??

I also am afraid that I will not be able to continue my new exercise regimen that I have just started. (Walking on the treadmill 10 minutes every day).

I thought of just waiting until mid-August when I get back in town, but I really did not want to wait another 6 weeks. I am at the point that I am really ready to do something about my weight and body. I am afraid if I wait I will lose my motivation or fall back into my same old routine.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreicated.
Big Val
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 16:51

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Well, I am going on vacation next week, just a week's camping trip, and I don't have any intention of going off CAD for it. I think if you are feeling motivated to do this, then you should give it your best shot. CAD and CALP are both plans that adapt fairly easily to holidays, because of the reward meal, of course.

If you know these people well enough to stay with them, then I presume that you would be comfortable telling them that you are on a special diet.. or that you are cutting out breads, or whatever you want to say about it. Either buy some eggs that you can cook up, or eat more unconventional foods for your first CM of the day, maybe some salmon or tuna, you could bring those with you. You could even offer to take them out for breakfast as a thank you for letting you stay there, then you could pick somewhere where you can easily eat according to CALP.

It can be done and planning is the key. If you just go off on vacation and "hope" that you will be able to follow CALP, you probably will get into trouble. So, do a little planning and then relax about it and have a great holiday!

take care,
Tracy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 18:03
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Big VAl
I've been on vacation with CAD for over 10 years and never been off during!! Okay once, but not for long. It's not worth it, CAD is!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CAD NOW
Stats: 165/145/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

i am going to Cabo in a week. with friends who are big drinkers. and i know that is going to be my biggest problem. one hour of drinking during my RM is not going to work that well. i know i am going to go off plan. not to mention that i am going to be in mexico and surrounded by my favorite high carb foods!!!!!!!! i think it is going to be more like hell than a vacation! and i know i shouldnt give in to peer pressure. i am just scared that i am going to come back and weigh in the 150s again and then i am going to cry! is there any hope????
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 13:29

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Sure there is hope, artnymph. You *could* do CAD while you are down there, if you want to. It would mean only drinking and eating your high-carb foods during your RM. Or, you can give yourself permission to not do CAD while you are away. That might be the more realistic choice for you, based on what you have said. The worst thing you can do is to promise yourself you will follow CAD, eat off-plan the whole time you are gone, feeling guilty about it so that you don't even enjoy it, and then be sad and miserable that you have gained weight while you were away.
I think it is important that you be realistic. If you decide to take a break from CAD for your holiday, then give yourself permission to enjoy the food and drinks that you will be having. And accept that yes, you will gain a few pounds, and you will have to de-tox from carbs again when you get back. Try to make good choices, having the things that are really special to you and not just everything in sight. That should minimize the damage

Take care,
Tracy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 14:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Artnymph
Tracy's advice is right on!! Helpful hint. Try to have only CM foods before 11 am. And of course you'll want a nice brunch a day or two. Like Tracy said, make it special!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CAD NOW
Stats: 165/145/125
BF:
Progress: 50%

thanks you guys, you have definitely helped put a new perspective on vacationing. i am going to eat cms as much as i can. i dont know what kind of resturants are going to be around the hotels. but i know we do have a kitchen in the timeshare we are staying in, so at least i will be able to have breakfast covered. i think the biggest problem is just going to be the alcohol consumption outside of rm. being in your twenties and trying to have a "life" at the same time trying to "diet" is really hard. i think i will be ok. i will try to do a lot of swimming and walking to help counter balance the alcohol consumption. i will definitely let you know how it goes when i get back!
thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 10:16

Plan: CALP
Stats: 252.8/251.6/160
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default artnymph

Cabo?!?! Sounds awesome!!

I am going to have a few issues with drinks on my vacation as well. I am going to stay with a girlfriend and we usually have a few daquiries while we are playing cards and hanging out together. Since I am staying at her place I don't have to worry about drinking and driving so I would be able to have 1 or 2 more drinks than if I had to drive somewhere.

To make things worse I have not lost anything after my fist week on CALP. It is quite discouraging. I really want to make this work. I am going on a cruise to the Bahamas in Sept. and I really would like to have already started my weight loss by at least 10-15 pounds by then.

Have a great trip,
Big Val