Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 281/239/195
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Help: Im addicted to SF Russel Stovers!

Man, I was doing pretty good, no cheating for 5 solid months on Atkins- heck I never thought Id make it 2 weeks without pizza!

Then I found the devil (Russel Stover sugar free candies). Those toffee bars, mints and peanut butter cups are killing me. I had always counted on the absolute horrid taste of the carb solutions and/or atkins bars to keep ne away from over-indulging.... but unfortunately- these damn things taste good.

So, anyways, after 5 months of consistent loss, I've been stalled for 3 weeks and I have a feeling its the candy.

Do I need to go cold turkey here? I'm afraid the combination of these and some occassional miller lites will be my undoing this Summer.

Last edited by lowepg : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 17:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

If you're stalled, and you've added beer and candy, both of which are "sort of" low carb, you need to go cold turkey and stick to no-mistake-about-it-genuinely-low-carb meat, fats, low-starch veggies. Do it for 2 weeks (yes, do a proper old-fashioned Induction again) and if you come off the 'stall' you have your answer.

You can do anything for 2 weeks, right?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:59

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

My math says you've already successfulliy lost 42 pounds since January, right? That's pretty good! You're beating yourself up for not being where you want to be, yet you're not praising yourself for what you've accomplished!

Sounds like you already know what you need to do, or else you wouldn't be tossing it around as an idea.

May I suggest you go on induction again, but this time leave out "frankenfoods", meaning stick to the good ol' Atkins-recommended whole foods approach. Your body is craving the sweeteners that haven't had a chance to leave your system yet. Same with the beer.

Be true to yourself and remember you deserve to feel healthy, not guilty, and you have the brain power to accomplish that.
And most important: Be kind to yourself. You are going to make it. Chin up!

Hugs, Annie-Pie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 18:22
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I agree with everyone else. i had a very steady weight loss for 2 months until I started munching on the Maltitol monster 3 weeks ago. I stoped a few days ago and have already dropped another 2 lbs. Cold turkey is the way!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 18:40

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am addicted to peanut butter cups , the homemade kind and peanut butter on the spoon with a shake. Yum. Today ,already I have had 2 or 3 pb cups and 2 tbs. peanut butter. I am ready for another now. At least there are no sugar alcohols , I guess. Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:47

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

im soooo addicted to the peanut butter cups, its like an obsession. but i just decided about 5 mins ago (as i was finishing of a pack :-p) that i should give them up. i think they (among other things) are making me stall so its not worth it.... but im sure once in a while if i have one it wont be so bad
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Candy.
I LOVE candy.
I can't eat candy.
The FAT comes along with the candy.
My friends name is Stover. Russel Stover.
KILL THE SONOFABITCH.
No more candy.

The preceeding has been an epic poem by JAKE, who is currently in a hypnotic state from thinking about CANDY.

War is Hell.
Best to all;
Jake
PS: Annie-Pie; Dang , you are just so damn sweet and happy all the time! We are all so lucky to have yoU!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That stuff tastes great to be sure, but more than a little and I'm in misery from the gas and cramping. For me at least, those treats are self-limiting because I just don't want to pay the piper to do that dance.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Yeah right

Happy Jake, Thanks for the nice words. Evidently you haven't seen me before my morning coffee !

Tell ya what, Happy Jake...when I get to Salzburg in about 3 more weeks, I'm buying a few boxes of those sinfully delicious Mozart Chocolates. You know, the ones with the pistachio in the middle, the cherry, the almond paste (almonds are a good thing), the two layers of chocolate...and I will eat them for you. Deal Schmeal?

Annie-Pie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:05

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

HAHAHA! Annie-Pie!!
I just noticed you signature line. I had long forgotten about those commercials. Wasn't the quiet guy named Ed? Thanks for the memory.

~Angi~
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:40
Registered Member

BF:

Annie-Pie: If I wasn't in love with my wife...I would be in love with YOU! Enjoy those candies...and have a SAFE trip when you go, and Safe return (just in case I forget to say this later on)!
Man, those choco's sound GREAT!!!!!!!!
You lucky little camper you!
Very best regards;
"HJ"
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

[FONT=comic sans ms]Jake...you are SO hilarious!!! I get a laugh almost every time I read one of your posts....and laughing is a good thing, now what I mean?

I'm addicted to RS candies too...so far they have not stalled me and have been a HUGE help in my efforts to stop smoking. I can not imagine not being able to eat them...but I have a feeling the day will come. I'll just enjoy until then.
[/FONT]
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:

Freckles: LUCKY HUBBY! Bet he loved having THAT task!

I think I can see a new business enterprise on the horizon:
"Jakes Tales of the Tape"
For no fee at all, Jake will come to your home (Ladies only) and MEASURE you...and MY TAPE measure is missing the first 7"!!!!!!
"Have Tape, Will Travel"...
BEST to all;
Jake Tape

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 21:52.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:01

Stats: 210/200/135
BF:
Progress: 13%

Funny--I picked up a box of RS candies yesterday at CVS, but put them back. I know now not to buy them...If they really are that good, I think that I would also have a hard time stopping with one or two!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 22:08

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Default Candy Monsters!

I saw some of the RS sf candy a while back, but decided against purchasing them.

I did buy, the other day, a Sobee sf chocolate bar (the dark kind)....a sixth of a bar (3 squares) is about 6.65 carbs...but also 6.65 sugar alcohols - so does this make it 0 carbs?

I finally had some today (I woke up dreaming I had cravings and was actually eating stale easter chocolate in my dream!!!).....made some sf jello, but it wasn't ready so I broke of 3 squares...very yummy....broke of 3 more, and decided that was enuf

I can see how this stuff can become addictive.

Is it possible that my antihistamine pill gave me the cravings? Had bad allery attack this am, so I took one around noon, and ever since then I am wanting something sweet???

Froufie

Last edited by Froufie : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 22:09.