Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 11:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 160/131.8/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default observation

our bodies, our teeth, were not made to eat or digest processed or refined sugar. is that an accident? is it also an accident that obesity has risen immensely over the years, and so has the education of the food triangle which states you need at least 6 servings a day of bread, pasta, cereal, etc, and practically no fat? that does not include that in fruits and vegetables. why are people losing on this diet? Why are diabetics' blood sugar, and the like, dropping? why are people feeling and looking younger than ever? is it possibly that a DOCTOR made a huge discovory that disproves much of what we have taught and relied on, and fed to our children! it's a tough thing to swallow, only because it's too good to be true. but, it makes sense. look at our bodies, at men and women who lived and thrived long before us. do you think they were binging on chips and icecream? do you think they had a weight problem, a blood sugar problem. i'm no doctor or scientist, but you don't have to be to notice or read the millions of success stories. it's hard to let go of what we believed in for so long, but maybe you should try. it might change your life like it mine. and, i'll just speak for myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 22:29

Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Amen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 01:59

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

but you don't have to be to notice or read the millions of success stories

I agree with everything you said.

But it's too controversial though because you can go to sites like slimfast.com and weightwatchers.com and read a million success stories there too.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Sun, Jun-29-03 at 02:01.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 02:11

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i agree it,s controversial but it just works. i have exhibited dogs for20 years and if i had one that was too thin i would feed them up on pasta, rice bread etc, not protein or fat. why i fed myself the same way, i,ll never know.so happy to have at last got the message.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 02:15

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

ha I did the opposite. Fed my cat food that was made out of oatmeal, flour, wheat..etc and he got fat. I'm glad I also got the message and now feed us both better.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 20:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm not sure how the other diets work, but they do work for some people. I once lost 30 lbs with the low fat "Susan Powter craze" (remember that crazy lady with the shaved head?) eating TONS of snackwells cookies (all of them low fat or fat free, of course!)
But I was walking an hour a day, so I think it was the exercise that did it and not what I ate.
I know lots of people that have lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers and L.A. Weight Loss Centers (on this last one it is really expensive and they don't want to tell you any information on what they eat!)
From all the plans that I have read and know about, I think the LC is the easiest to follow and keep doing in the long run.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/150/140
BF:
Progress: 67%

People often mention how prestoric men who lived on a diet of mostly meat had healthy bodies yet usually fail to mention that they all die before they turn 40. The comparisson is pretty pointless in my opinion though I don't believe that it totally dispproves the low-carb diet. It's just a half-sighted banel boast.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 21:18
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
prestoric men who lived on a diet of mostly meat

Did they really have mostly meat though. They were hunters and gatherers. The seeds, roots, nuts, fruit and so on the women gathered probably supported the family much of the time. When the hunters did manage to bring down an animal, there would of been alot of meat to go around and almost feasting. Some of the meat may of been dried and stored, but for the most part they probably survived off the gathered foods. They also got a ton more exercise everyday just surviving. It's hard to compair a modern humans lifestyle to a group that may of walked from sunup to sunset, who ran for miles to catch prey or avoid becoming it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 21:54

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree.. Nice name, by the way..
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 16:31
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally posted by gatto
People often mention how prestoric men who lived on a diet of mostly meat had healthy bodies yet usually fail to mention that they all die before they turn 40. The comparisson is pretty pointless in my opinion though I don't believe that it totally dispproves the low-carb diet. It's just a half-sighted banel boast.

40 is just the average age. Infant mortality was appalling, a lot of babies born did not make it to their 5th birthday. Disease and lack of modern medical care cuts a huge inroad into health and longevity as well.

Meat was stored in caches and covered with rocks, frozen, as a major food source. Fat was valued highly, being rendered and stored in intestines. Man could not survive on protein alone, fat was crucial to survival. Other foods were gathered in season and some were stored, but they did not comprise the majority of the diet in winter.

Despite living in primitive conditions without modern medicine, for approximately 700,000 years humans have lived before agriculture.

Only about 100 years ago did sugar refining begin on a larger scale.

Beth
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 17:51

Stats: 160/131.8/116 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Our bodies are fascinating

i think that how are bodies are made is what is so fascinating to me. if we were meant to eat sugar and refined food, our digestive system, our teeth, etc would been very different. i'm not neccessarily trying to compare our lifestyles. just that our bodies are still the same as they were then. Made to eat meat, grains, and fruits. There must be a reason. good points on the life span, though. that is something we tend to over look. thank god for a multi vitamin, and harsher contditions in which we are forced to live. Gorcery stores and electricity helps. I don't think that their diet had everything to do with it, but it was a factor i'm sure. It's great to re feedback!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 22:41

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 226/108/160 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 179%
Default Prehistoric Man?

Found this fascinating article......

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi...tish_short.html

Sure made me scratch my head and think.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I agree that exercise is the great missing factor... I lost most of my weight on LF dieting, but was power walking constantly. Even had bathing suit legs there for a while.

I believe in the principles of LC...but they are not working for me because of my lack of exercise.

Now WHY I don't get up and power walk is another discussion...
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 14:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatto

This is true, but as Beth pointed out, 40 was an average age which can be highly influenced by a high infant mortality rate. Something else you have to realize is that without medicines and medical care, if you got sick chances were far higher that you would die from whatever you got than they are now with antibiotics and advanced medical care...even life support. Something like an infected cut which would be treated easily with an antibiotic today could be life-threatening then. Same thing for if you happened to get injured which was also a much more likely occurance since hunting for prey was a dangerous task and also put you at risk for becoming prey or having your prey turn on you and injure or kill you.
As for the health of their bodies, it's pretty unlikely that those prehistoric men and women suffered from obesity, which is really the whole point of eating more protein and less carbs. More likely than not they lived from meal to meal, walked (or ran depending on what was chasing you) wherever they went, and had to hunt or gather every bit of food that went into their mouths. Man survived prolonged periods of drought and ice ages when vegetable matter was hard to find or non-existent. What did they survive and even thrive on? Meat and animal fat. Sugar? Nope. If you wanted something sweet the question that you had to ask yourself was how many bee stings you could tolerate to get it. If fruit happened to be native to your area, you only got it when it was in season...a few weeks out of every year or a few months if there were different varieties.
It's interesting that a recent show on the Discovery channel, Walking with Cavemen, showed our prehistoric ancestors (at least those who survived) eating mostly meat and very little vegetable matter and credited the addition of large amounts of protein with man's development of a large brain.