Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:18

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Question Been to doc and recommended to stay off potassium, calcium and magnesium!!!!!

I am wondering what to do now as I went to doc this a.m. and she has suggested that I stay off the "heavy metals" (potassium, calcium and magnesium) as they could do harm especially the potassium.... I am going to the Hospital to have my blood tested and this will probably be next week, and then doc says we can discuss what levels of the "Heavy metals" I can go back on, but she was not happy!!
I did say to her that Dr Atkins and our (this) forum says it is fine, but she said wait for the blood results to come back.
I am mortified for that is what I felt gave me my energy - for being a veggie I found I was terribly awfully tired the whole constant time and reading DANDR and your forum it is suggested that these "heavy metals" would be fine.... Doc's argument that the British are more conservative with the tablet taking and to wait for these blood results!!!
Any suggestions from anyone out there as to should I wait or take Dr Conservative's advice?????
BTW I am taking 500mg magnesium, 800mg calcium and 2x99mg potassium. Thanks in advance for my tummy has dropped in my shoes. I feel as if a lifeline may be taken away from me - yes I know that one shouldn't be dependant on things but ........ help!
Fi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

This forum is strictly for advice [ altho it been excellant advice] but for now I would listen to your doc and wait for the tests. I will tell U tho I dont have the utmost confidence in everything a doctor says. I went to mine and my BP was really low, I was dizzy and having muscle fatigue. He wasnt concerned but I was. I did some research and came up with that I was very low in potassium. Once I added the supplement, I noticed a huge difference in just a couple days. I had my BP rechecked and it was up somewhat so the potassium definitely made a great difference in how I feel.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:34

Stats: 235/158/150
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have also heard to say away from them. Im taking a muti-vit. and feel fine. I think I will stick to that.. what ever worksss I say..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Potassium, calcium and magnesium are NOT heavy metals ... even in their pure state, they are minerals that are readily dissolved in water solution .. as opposed to mercury, lead or aluminum. THOSE are heavy metals.

K (potassium), Ca (calcium) and Mg (magnesium) are vital minerals called electrolytes, without which the human body could not function at all. They are vital for transmission of nerve impulses, muscle contraction (in particular the heart muscle and the muscles in our arms and legs called skeletal muscles).

K, Ca and Mg are found in EVERYTHING you eat. Since they are dissolved in water ... increases in urine output can cause to levels being depleted, especially K and Mg. Certain disease states can cause the body to retain these electrolytes .. kidney failure especially, and certain blood pressure and heart medications. Most foods contain these minerals in greater or lesser amounts. Dark green leafy vegetables and ocean fish are rich in potassium and magnesium especially.

The daily requirement for potassium is 2500 mg per day -- some of this is recycled by the body, some will come from food. When there is increased water loss .. eg, the early stages of low-carbing, heavy exercise & sweating, etc .. a supplement ensures that levels remain adequate. The daily requirement for magnesium is 450 mg, and for calcium it's 1,000 to 1,500 mg per day. The World Health Organization has recognized that chronic deficiency of calcium is the leading cause of osteoporosis in adults over age 50.

Healthy kidneys are designed to prevent a buildup of these electrolytes. Unfortunately, there's not a similar mechanism to ensure that they are not lost, and so they must be replaced on a daily basis or levels will drop.

A blood test is certainly worthwhile .. but I think your doctor is over-reacting and, dare I say, misinformed.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:34

BF:

Dear waterh2o, gwilson38 and Doreen T,
Thank you so very much for your replies, I shall print out yours Doreen and certainly show it to my doc when next I go.... Doreen, your information is so precious when you feel as if you have had obstacles thrown your way, thank you my friend.
I spoke to my hubby and I have his full support (in other words keep taking them, for he has seen a significant difference in my level of wearyness). gwilson38, thank you too for your snippet of info, I think you are right for the potassium certainly helps me with my fatigue I'm sure. waterh20, you too are right - with what works for you then so be it, I however, don't think I could survive on a multivit cos of my awful tiredness (I probably would have to take 6 bottles a day, tee hee), so now that I have read all your information, I shall certainly keep taking the tablets. Thanks once again, I do so appreciate it. Good luck with all your plans too.
Fi

#6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 13:44

BF:
Arrow Technical advice in light of blood tests please

Today, Thursday, I have had a message left on my answer machine from the doc's surgery and she said that she has received my blood results back and that there is something with my liver and that I must stop taking these "Heavy Metal" supplements and to have another blood test in 3 months. (I am to ring the surgery tomorrow to speak with her, Friday at noon as they were closed when I got back) Oh please help for I really don't want to stop doing this WOE for I enjoy it and it works for me - I really believe in it. I also don't wish to start eating meat/fish. Is there any reason why I should stop taking these supplements in Dr Atkin's eyes, are they really harmful? Or is it the British doc being over cautious?
What technical questions should I ask her to know whether there is an issue?
Doreen T, I have your input from last time on the ready beside my phone, but I feel I am not equipped to say the right things - I already feel a little on the defensive about losing my way of life/eating to someone more in authority and am terribly anxious about it all. I hope upon hopes that you can understand how I feel
I anxiously await your reply/response/advice....
Thank you
Fi
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 13:53

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You may ask for a copy to be made of your blood tests and take it to a different doctor for a second opinion?

That would be my first step. Like Doreen pointed out, those are minerals not heavy metals, any doctor that confuses that point would soon be losing me as a patient.

Remember it is YOUR body and YOUR health. There are some really scarey doctors out there that we should question with their "medical advice".
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 14:22

BF:

Thank you very much for your reply agonycat, I must admit in my panicstations I didn't think that about asking for a 2nd opinion.
I shall, well I'll see what she says when I speak to her
Sorry if I sound so silly about it all
Fi
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 16:01

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

Definitely seek a second opinion.

Ask her how she considers a Group IA element potasium to be "heavy metals"?

The term "Heavy Metals" is generally interpreted to include those metals from periodic table groups IIA through VIA. While magnesium and calcium are group IIA metals, they are very early in the group and are almost never classified as "heavy metals". The question begs to be asked that if magnesium is a heavy metal, then what metals are NOT heavy metals? The only metals lighter than magnesium are lithium, berillium and sodium. Lithium and sodium are both IA metals, so the term "heavy metal" becomes rather meaningless if it exclused only one element,

Usually, when the term "Heavy Metals" is used in regard to metal toxicity, it involves metals like lead, arsenic and mercury - metals that are well up on the periodic table - although it can sometimes include boron which is very low in the table.

Get a second opinion.

And, no, you do not sound silly about it all. You sound like someone that is trying to make proper, informed decisions about her health and seeking as much information as you can. Doesn't sound silly to me at all.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:44

BF:
Wink Thank you for your support

I have also posted this in my journal as the 2 were linked - I am pleased to say that my doctor is now supporting me with this way of eating. I saw her and discussed with her that I really wish to do this and what it means to me and that I have a lot of support not only with my family and friends but with this forum. She has told me to re-do the blood tests in 3 months, for a liver function abnormality has arisen (0.39), nothing for me to worry about but that she wishes for me to stay clear of the magnesium and postassium for this 3 month period, I told her that I shall see whether I go back to feeling terribly drained and fatigued and if I do then I shall go back on them, she was happy with this!
I am extremely grateful for all the help, support and advice that was given during what was a traumatic decision in my low carb life - THANK YOU VERY MUCH
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:53

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thats great news! I knew you were very distressed over the whole thing. Im glad your doctor is on your side now, and Im sure in 3 months your blood tests will be fine.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 23:58

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

This is wonderful. And this REALLY shows the power and utility of this forum. Hats off to you for behaving perfectly - you had questions concerning medical advice you received from a professional, you sought input from a forum of people that are directly involved with the subject and then, knowing that those people are not experts, you took that new information back to your doctor and worked out an arrangement that both of you are happy with. Who could ask for a more perfect example of how all the pieces can come together.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 01:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up

Patients educating the doctors It takes courage and commitment to one's own well-being.

Good for you Fine.
Take care.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 13:03

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Tongue firmly in cheek....

If my dr told me to stay off the heavy metals, I'd have to tell him fine--I'll drop the Judas Priest and Metallica, but ain't NOBODY telling me to stop the AC/DC!

Honestly though--I just ran into this thread this afternoon, and I am *thrilled* to see how well things turned out. Fine, you were absolutely right to question your dr's suggestion. Everyone else jumped in with opinions and suggestions and information (Doreen, you are a godsend!), and you did the right thing by taking it along for that second consultation. Kudos to you and everyone here who helped!

I know I feel miserable without my cal/mag supplement and my potassium. If I miss the latter for a few days, I start having muscle cramps--and within a couple of days of resuming, they're gone. I was without cal/mag for a couple of weeks and during that time I felt very, very tired and fatigued (and I was fighting off some nasty bug, simultaneously--not the best situation). I resumed those three days ago, and can already feel the difference.

*We* have to take the initiative sometimes and educate the "professionals" who "help" us. Ultimately, *we* are responsible, not they. No one lives in our bodies but ourselves--it's up to us to make the decisions we need to make, and find the information we need to make them with. Good for you, Fine!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:02

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default hey

What about Led Zeppelin???? Well guess they weren't actually heavy Metal