Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:39

Plan: just low carbs
Stats: 186/181/130
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool Need some answers

[COLOR=crimson]
I need to know a couple things. Let me tell you, I am having a very hard time staying away from the foods I love, like ice cream, pizza, and so on. I am sure some would say the same.
I was wondering if I stayed on the low carb diet for five days and on Saturday and Sunday went off of it and then got back on Monday again, would that still help me to loose weight?
I'm affraid I know the answer to this....but took a shot anyhow!

Another question. What's the problem with having a cup of coffee in the mornng? Will it hinder my weight loss? And why?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:58
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

People who do a lot of exercise do have a plan similar to what you described, it's called CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet, I think).

Are you prepared to do some heavy weightlifting and such?

You'd probably have to only eat the right things at the right times on that plan. There is a forum for it.

But for most of us, eating carbs for a few days totally sets us back weeks in terms of losing weight.

Some people have no problems drinking coffee. The idea is that the caffiene in coffee can act as a stimutant to your insulin levels making you hungry or crave things. You should see how your body reacts and take your cue from that.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 21:22

BF:

That explains it then! I have been drinking coffee with caffiene in the morning and some soda with caffiene in the after noon...maybe I should switch to decaf coffee and soda huh? I really don't need to drink that soda, but i do like my coffee. But I have been really craving things to where I become a real grouch when I can't have them!

I know I want to loose weight, and I want to eat less carbs, but I do love my french fries and ice cream

Thanks!

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Kim,

I am a major coffee drinker - that one big cup in the morning, and never did give it up because it doesn't seem to bother me. But cutting down on the caffeine was still a good idea.

As for liking the fries and ice cream... there are lots of very good substitutes for the foods you are missing... try looking through the recipe section... fried zucchini strips in olive oil...REALLY cooked well with lots of salt...my new
"fries"... also the LC cheesecake is to die for...once in a while

Don't feel bored or hungry, just try to adjust your recipes to bring them into LC levels and keep your foods interesting. One of my favorite substitutes...mashed cauliflower w/butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives and some bacon bits.... YUM...better than the potatoes I thought I'd miss!!

#5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:25

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

The idea of induction is to BRAKE THOSE CRAVINGS!!! They will go away, I promise. And those foods you love sooo much? They are the reason you are heavy now. It is hard the first week, BUT you will be amazed the second week when those cravings go away. The thought of French Fries now grosses me out. And ice cream? If I really feel like it I will make some shave ice and put cream and sugar free Torani French Vanilla syrup in it.

If you "take a break" on the weekends and pig out on junk food you will 1)Not lose any weight and possibly gain more as Atkins is not a low calorie way of eating, and 2) Never truly rid yourself of those cravings.

Stick with it! You will be amazed!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

You describe your plan as "generally low carb" - what exactly have you been eating? One of the reasons low carb eating works for people is that they eat enough fat that they don't feel hungry. If you're not actually hungry, you're less likely to crave carbs, but most people have a terribly hard time getting over their fear of fat. Two excellent appetite killers are a pat of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil. Pop one of those when you get a hankering for something carby, it really helps.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Two excellent appetite killers are a pat of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil. Pop one of those when you get a hankering for something carby, it really helps.

Personaly I think that would work by making me so sick to my stomach I don't want to eat anything period, LC or not, ick :P
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 23:07
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

Hi Kim (born 9 days after me)
Looked at your profile... So I can understand you so much!!! I used to be hooked on sweets that I thought that I would never be able to give it up... I was heavy for quite a long time and it really never bothered me till one day I went to buy clothes with a friend and nothing fit me, everything was too small..I wanted to die...how could this be... was that really me?!!!
So I decided to go on a diet, I started with low cal and took pills metabolift (I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL) I was absolutly
crazy!!!! Shaking all over the place,well I did lose a lot of weight, like 20 pounds, but I punished everyone in my way.
Then I started to gain again, like 8 pounds, and the yo-yo started
Then I discovered LC and it's great!!! I can eat like a normal HB and feel good... It took me a long time to get used to it though
(more than 2 weeks) but everything is a process.. you must be patient... but if you cheat on the weekends you'll never reach your goal, you'll just be losing what you gained on the weekend, and you'll be on this cycle...
try to give yourself a month of non cheating and then see...
keep a journal and track everything ...
I hope my words can help you... if you need any other help ,
let me know,
Good luck!
Mamasita
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:14

BF:

Someone said something about eating fried zuccini instead of french fries. How are they fixed? Do they have a little flour on them and then fried?
Also, This is my third week without cheating! I can tell that things are feeling just a bit looser on me now. I was wondering, is it ok to stay on the pretty low carb thing for a long period of time? I know that the adkins diet says that you can start eating more carbs little by little up to a certain point. But I find it hard to do that. I feel I need to stay pretty low carb, like under 20 or so at least until I start loosing the weight I want too...what do you all think about it?
Oh! Don't forget the french fried zuccini recipe...and any other recipies that are good!

thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 10:50

Have you read any books (i.e. Atkins New Diet Revulotion)? It really helps understand this WOL better...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 21:36

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%
Talking

First: My first introduction into LC was the Fat Flush...we were to take a tablespoon of flaxoil every day...by spoon...unless you made into dressing or whatnot, but that was nasty. I was reminded twice daily of my mother's horror stories about taking the cod fish oil.

Talk about an appetite spoiler! Yuck! Thank god for EFA capsules.

Second: Shelly! Flag on the play, Gratutiuous Python reference, 10 yards!

JC
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 22:47
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

HI Kim:
Did you update your stats? How has it been going?
Love to hear from you
Mamasita
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 10:48

Hehe!

I love MP and found a site with Holy Grails entire script online.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Which plan has the fat flush? I've heard it a couple times mentioned and it sounds interesting.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 11:59

BF:

Someone asked if I updated my stats,,..I guess I really don't know how to do that! I will check it out...I haven't even thought about that! Thanks!
Kim...
P.S. I don't have a scale at home...I hate those things! I go by the feel of my clothes to see how much I loose, and for the feel of things, I am going to have to get new jeans if I keep loosing like I am doing! yeah!