Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 01:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/256/174 Female 67 in
BF:53%/51%/27%
Progress: 10%
Default Working Out = Slower Wt Loss?

I started back on Atkins almost four weeks ago. Typically, I would have taken off 12-15 lbs by now. So far, I've only taken off about 5 lbs.

The only difference this time is that I've also started working out (30 min workout at Curves 3-5x per week). At the end of next week they're re-checking my measurements.

I think my shape is improving but I'm disappointed about the wt loss. I'm hoping that the other 5 lbs I expected to lose is fat that has converted to muscle

At this point, I'm just trying not to get discouraged

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Isis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 05:40

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 240/237/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Isis,
Two factors. The fact that you're "back" on Atkins says alot. I'm the queen of that. When you go back to normal eating and try to go back, the weight comes off alot slower the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. time around. But since you're working out, that plays a key factor, too. I've read many things on this forum. Many say that when you're losing inches, you're not losing pounds and when you're losing lbs., you're not losing inches. Personally, I'd much rather lose inches. I've read that when you're working out, your muscles retain more water to repair themselves. Also, that muscle weighs more than fat.
This is my umpteenth time "back" on Atkins. I've been also working out with Body Flex which combines aerobic breathing and stretching with a bar that has a resistance band. I can tell that I'm toning underneath the flab. I've lost a total of 20 1/2 inches in a 7 week period (maybe more-I didn't measure this week) but I've only lost 5 - 6 lbs. I had only lost 3 lbs. for the first 6 weeks. My suggestion is that if the scales are going to discourage you, hide them!!! Body Flex tells you to measure every 7 days and I started getting discouraged when I'd only lose an inch or two during the week, so I decided not to measure every week any more. I also read in a health magazine that many women stop working out in the first few weeks because some gain inches at first rather than lose. The quote from the magazine is "...the circumference of her legs will get larger in the initial stages, because muscle is being laid down underneath the excess adipose tissue. ...If the exercise routine continues, the increase in lean body mass will drive her metabolism up and help to burn the excess...tissue as fuel...After time and commitment to the program, the thighs will take on a leaner appearance..."
I hope that helped. I think it's wonderful that you're going to Curves! That takes commitment. Stick with it and hide those scales...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 09:19
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just one clarification. One pound of muscle does not weigh more than one pound of fat. Muscle mass supplies a different and better shape to your body than fat, and that is why there should eventually be inch loss.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:19
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Isis,
i think you're fine, i've noticed when i workout harder, than i'm supposed to, my weight isn't or doesn't change much according to the scale yet i still have a slimmer feeling than the previous day... but if i go in and do a mild workout just to burn calories, the scale moves and i feel slimmer at the same time (slimmer feeling from water loss? or fat loss? not sure, but i like it)..... good luck, don't get discouraged, your doing great!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:58

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

- one pound of anything weighs one pound

what people generally mean when discussing fat vs. muscle is that muscle is denser - that is, takes up less space, pound for pound. So you can get smaller without a change in weight if you are losing fat and gaining muscle.

think of it this way - the volume of 1 pound of feathers vs. the volume of a 1 pound dumbell.

the size difference between muscle in fat is not that great, but it is significant.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

although a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, the muscle is much more dense and fills a much smaller volume. When you are exersicing hard enough that muscle growth is encouraged, then a small growth of muscle has more weight than an equvialent amount of fat. Example a cup of muscle weighs much more than a cup of fat. So in order for a weght change to take place you have to burn a great deal of fat for a small gain in muscle.

A good exmple would be to take a feather pillow, remove a pound of feathers, replace the pound of feather with a pound of lead. Now it weighs the same but sure is a lot thinner!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 02:04

Stats: 265/256/174 Female 67 in
BF:53%/51%/27%
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks for the Info

Thanks for all the good info. It really helps. I'm sticking with low carb just because I know that alternatives don't seem to work well for me. And who knows, that "whoosh" may be right around the corner.

I am going to work on cranking up the walking (in addition to the gym).

Best regards,

Isis