Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/156/140
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Sugar Alcohol, Maltitol, Lactitol?

From reading some posts I see that Malitol is a sugar alcohol that can be subtracted from net carbs but I haven't seen anything on Lactitol. I'm planning on starting OWL soon and I wanted to reward myself with a treat. I found some SF candy yesterday, Russell Stover's Pecan Delights (Maltitol), Hershey's Chocolate (Lactitol) and Nestles' Turtles (Sugar Alcohol). So these would all be acceptable is that correct?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:13

Plan: Trying CAD
Stats: 183/162.8/120 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question

Good question.

I am waiting for this answer as well.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:15

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sugar alcohols are maltitol, lactitol, sorbitol, manitol, just about anything on a sweetened LC item that ends in -ol. These are sugars that have been altered so that they aren't reccognized by your body. They taste great and are a great way to have something sweet in OWL, but they cause digestive problems in lots of people so be careful. Also lots of people find they aren't as "low carb" as they claim to be. In some people they do act almost like regular carbs and stall weight loss and/or cause cravings.

Hope that helps.

Jamian
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 13:18
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Jamian has communicated my thoughts very well. Here is a forum link regarding.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 01:37
Registered Member

Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%

To add...

"Maltitol

Characteristics
Maltitol is in a class of alternative sweeteners known as polyols which includes sorbitol, xylitol, and mannitol. Also refered to as sugar alcohols, part of polyols' chemical structure resembles sugar and part is similar to alcohols. Scientists use the terms polyhydric alcohols and polyalcohols.
Maltitol is produced by the catalytic hydrogenation of a special high maltose corn syrup that transforms the maltose to the sugar alcohol maltitol. Maltitol powders or syrups range from 50 to 89% in maltitol purity. Maltitol has no aftertaste like some of the other polyols. Like other polyols, maltitol is slowly absorbed by the system.

Maltitol is not a mono- or di-saccharide like common sugar and has different physical properties than those of sugars. The sweetness level of maltitol is about 90% that of sugar. Maltitol provides 3.0 calories per gram compared to approximately 4.0 calories per gram for sugar. Replacing all of the sugar in a product with maltitol powder results in a calorie reduction between 12 to 15%.

Common Uses
The properties of crystalline maltitol enables it to be used as the primary sweetener in many different products where sucrose is used. Some products may use maltitol as the only sweetener, while other products may use a combination of sweeteners. Common uses include, candy, chewing gum, chocolate, jams and jellies, baked goods, and frozen desserts.

Safety Considerations
Due to maltitol's slow absorbtion, excessive consumption may have a laxative effect. Although it may be better tolerated than other polyols, daily consumption should be limited. Particular care is recommended for children under 5 years old and for people with metabolic disorders. A warning statement, similar to the one for sorbitol, has been recommended for consumption greater than 100 grams per day.
Maltitol is said to be non-cariogenic; it is not readily converted to acids by bacteria in the mouth and, therefore, does not promote tooth decay.

Conversion of maltitol requires little or no insulin and does not cause a significant increase in serum glucose levels, making it suitable for diabetics. However, people with diabetes should consult their physician or health professional about including maltitol in their daily diet.

Food Labeling
Maltitol should be listed on the label, just like any other ingredient. The term "sugar alcohol" or maltitol may also appear in the Nutrition Facts panel. Products using maltitol as the sole sweetener meet the FDA's definition of "no sugar added" or "sugarless".
The number of grams of maltitol in a serving may be included voluntarily. If a product claim includes "sugar free", then the maltitol content must be shown. If other polyols are in the food, the term sugar alcohol must be used."

quoted from
http://www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/maltitol.html

Last edited by kenisswell : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 02:42.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 02:02
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ken,

Can you please include the link to your source of information?

Just printing info without a link to the source is breaching the authors' copyrights and can lead to all sorts of legal problems.

Thanks!

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 23:13
Registered Member

Stats: 175/153/150 Male 5' 6"
BF:26%/21%/15%
Progress: 88%

Sorry. I changed it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 01:35