Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Exclamation Dia-besity Shocker

I was wondering where to post this, because I think that the United States, my country, has a health emergency on its hands. Has anyone read about the CDC report that was just released saying that one out of three children born in the year 2000 will have type 2 diabetes due to the obesity problem[epidemic]? It shocked me to the core:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...e/diabetes_odds

I am sad that Dr. A did not get to write his book on this epedemic and I am honestly scared for our future. I believe that there are corporate interests including all aspects of health care corporations that want people to have diabetes and high blood pressure. And sugar lobbyists that keep the lid on what should become a national health campaign. What will happen to our children and our future if we do not state that this is a national emergency and demand education and change?

Is anyone else outraged?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 23:33

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Default dia-besity

Yes, it is appalling. I am sure it will have to change - but meanwhile people can carbo themselves into dia-besity with the blessing of the medical establishment. Reminds me of the story of Semmelweis, who figured out that if Drs washed their hands, women wouldn't get post-childbirth infections and die. He was mocked, ignored and derided, but of course was right all along.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 09:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Count me in as "outraged." It's half the reason I stick around this forum, even though I'm basically in maintenance. At least I feel I can do something about it, if I can help a few people over onto this side of the fence...

Y'know, I think about that statistic and can't help noting how much energy and effort we spend on keeping our kids away from alcohol and drugs; as well as "streetproofing". Yet the odds of any given kid becoming an alcoholic, drug addict, or getting kidnapped are quite remote compared to that one in three statistic. Educators and parents need to buckle down on their massive carb consumption!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 14:13

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Default dia-besity

In my mornings paper was a story about the local schools trying to limit vending machine use by students. Less soda, good, right? But then it went on to talk about "healty alternatives" juice, oven fries instead of french fries, etc. Still starch, still sugar. They just don't get it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/160/135
BF:
Progress: 29%

I have heard about a lot of people fighting for this also. However, what they dont get is that these vending machines make tons of money for the schools. And everyone knows that these schools can use every penny they can get. I know to many of you, this seems like robbing peter to pay paul, but it is not. If kids are getting overweight, it is not the fault of the candy bar they were able to buy during lunch. This may not help, but it is only a symptom of a problem. Most kids who get overweight do so because of an unhealthy lifestyle (to much tv, to much bad food, to little activity). This is stuff that happens after school. We can remove the vending machines, saving these kids from that one extra snack. This will likley result in budget cuts from a kids school, PE, an art program, any non traditional program will be the first to go. IMHO, this is a misguided effort that does not have the benefits to outweigh its costs.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking Amen

to all of you! We have been "fed" all the WRONG information for 30 years, so we really can't expect big changes overnight. It seems to happen a lot in the ol' USA. Hey, I'm still fuming b/c of the HRT thing-several doctors just kept pushing those hormones on me, regardless-they were so conviced it was the "right" thing to do!!! As with diet, no one waited for any long-term studies to be done. We do seem to be a very impatient bunch!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 07:19

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up

While my husband was working on the computer last night, one of those ads that pop up was one about Google searches. It gave the current top searches. Guess what number one was----"Atkins Diet" !! Fantastic!!

Kathy