Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
So, cigarettes and sugar are peers in terms of being purely for pleasure without other redeeming benefits. Now, I’m not sure which of the two is more harmful, but I sure don’t see any 12 step programs to stop eating sugar.

Yeah, but I've never heard second hand sugar linked to SIDS, asthma, increased ear infections, or other respotory ailments.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:41

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I quit and I'm doing Atkins

I started Zyban the same day as Atkins. About a month later I quit. It's been working ok.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:42

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

quit smoking I meant.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally posted by niki7
Yeah, I think all of us know how bad smoking is. It's a lot easier to say don't replace smoking with food than it is to actually do it .

This WOE has nothing to do with smoking for me. I just want to drop a few pounds. I also want to try to quit again, but I can only do so much.

I feel like once I'm at my goal weight, I will feel good about myself, and when I quit and gain some weight, it won't be as bad as if I were to quit now, and feel twice as fat!

Anyhoo, www.quitnet.com is a great site if you're interested in quitting smoking. They are really awesome.

I used that site and it's a great place for support. I also used the patch which helped. I quit for 8 months so I know I can do it again. But everyone has to be ready and do it themselves; you can't be lectured into it....that never works. Good luck to you!

#35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBelle

Yeah, but I've never heard second hand sugar linked to SIDS, asthma, increased ear infections, or other respotory ailments. [/B]

No, but sugar is linked to obesity and that kills just as many; even though non-smokers do not want to believe that.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
No, but sugar is linked to obesity and that kills just as many; even though non-smokers do not want to believe that.

Yes, but only to those eating the sugar. Second hand smoke effects everyone around the smoker.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:57

BF:
Default Re: a few responses...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederick
Barbara,

“Those are the oldest and most typical arguments of someone who is not ready to face the pain of giving up a deadly addiction.”

-- Whether they are or are not, shouldn’t make the veracities of their validations any less or more significant, non? By the way, I had started smoking during college, but quit several years ago. So, I base my rationalizations on this subject on past experience, and not tainted with some defensive mechanism to further justify not giving up a beloved habit.

“True, but would one knowingly walk out in front of a moving bus or throw oneself into the shark tank at SeaWorld?”

-- This analogy is imperfect and serves little other than to empathically make a point colorfully. For instance, there are many occasions on everyday life which smoking increases one’s utility of satisfaction. To name a few, say, waiting for a friend whose late at a street corner; or, the pure pleasure of the after dinner cigarette. The same reason why some eat ice cream during the former, and order desserts during the later, is the reason why some smoke—to enhance satisfaction. Sure, there are risks and a price to be paid for the pleasure, just as there are in eating ice cream, drinking wine, or sky diving. However, running in front of a speeding bus or diving into a pool of famished sharks has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, unless we assume one has an extreme masochistic fetish for being human pancake or dreams of being dinner.

“True, but at what expense? Your heart and lungs, cancer of the stomach, diabetes? Exercise has the same impact on metabolism, but in a much healthier way.”

-- I agree with you strongly here, and one of the most pressing motivations for me to give up smoking was that my running were beginning to suffer from the adverse effects caused by smoking. Once again, exercise is not without risks either, even if much less and easily more bearable than smoking. Running can lead to joint issues in the long term, weight lifting increases blood pressure in some, and for some people, and exercise simply isn’t a feasible or practical option during a certain stage in their respective lives. For the latter, would you say smoking to increase metabolic rate to be the worst thing in the world? I say, what if their motivation was to lose weight as quickly as they can, in order to make it feasible to begin exercising?

“Well, pick one that won't kill you, like shopping or gambling.”

-- Not to be smug here, but clearly smoking is the lesser evil of many of the “other” vices, which tempts all of us in our modern society. Is it any less of a catastrophe for the gambling addict who loses everything for the sake of fueling his addiction? I’d argue to many families of those who became destitute from gambling, they’d suggest smoking to the lesser malice.

“Tobacco use has no defense.”

I agree with you here, other than pure pleasure, it has no other justification of merit. Even with chocolate or wine, some suggest there are nutrients in them, which actually benefits us; however, refined white sugar has no redeeming qualities either. So, cigarettes and sugar are peers in terms of being purely for pleasure without other redeeming benefits. Now, I’m not sure which of the two is more harmful, but I sure don’t see any 12 step programs to stop eating sugar.

With kindest regards,

Frederick

Nothing to add here. Great post, Frederick!!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 23:33

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBelle
Yeah, but I've never heard second hand sugar linked to SIDS, asthma, increased ear infections, or other respotory ailments. [/B]

LadyBelle,

Granted, second hand smoke at the very least is quite annoying to non-smokers in close proximity. However, there has never been solid scientific empirical data which asserts unequivocally that second hand smoke is harmful leading to the plethora of malevolent illnesses linked to it by popular assertion.

Have said that, I’m not narrow minded enough to suggest that just because there isn’t scientific proof (meaning the gold standard double blind placebo variety) doesn’t necessarily mean second smoke is purely benign. I’m merely suggesting that second hand smoke isn’t any more harmful than carbon monoxide exhaust from cars, or the variety of pollutants created by industrial plants, or even the pesticides used to mass produce vegetable fare. That being the case, why isn’t there more hoopla about people abstaining from driving? Shut down those industrial plants? Lets never use plastic or Styrofoam again?

Simple, we don’t because the majority still enjoys driving, drinking, cheap veggies, and coffee cups which doesn’t burn our fingers—and, therefore the side-effects, even if harmful, is acceptable. Smokers are the minority now, and their interests aren’t important enough to the majority to tolerate the possible side effects of their “smoking” leisure.

In my view, that’s basically it. Why don’t we berate alcohol consumption with the same vitriolic scorn, which we do with cigarette smokers in our society? Drunk drivers kill more people per year than second hand smoke every could in a 10 years even if the dubious assertions of it’s effects were somehow proven factual. Simply, the majority enjoys alcohol.

As Churchill said, “Democracy is the worst government imaginable, but it’s the best we have.” Too true, and for the minority, majority rules really sucks!

With kindest regards,

Frederick
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 01:17

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

To take things back to the original topic...

I've been low carbing for almost a full year. I quit smoking 6 months ago. My weight loss stopped entirely despite not changing my calorie intake or my exercise output. I've lost a grand total of 7lbs in the last 6 months, compared to 32lbs in the first 6 months.

I had a couple of packs of cigarettes over the last week, and 5 of those 7lbs walked out the door.

I'm not going to say it's good for anyone, or that I recommend it, in fact I quit 'again' this morning.. but that's what my experience with smoking and low carbing has been.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 02:10
Registered Member

Stats: 208/184/154 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default I've given up! Smoking that is lol

I used to smoke and still lost weight on the atkins diet. But, then I had to give up smoking, this thought terrified me, what if all the good work I had done was about to go down the swanney river lol.

Much to my suprise and delight, the atkins actually made it easier to give up smoking, simply because of the things I was able to snack on without putting on weight. Admittedly the first day of giving up Atkins fell by the wayside, just due to the stress, but the way I felt the next day, pushed me back on to the atkins.

I have never felt so good or so smug lol. I still haven't dared weighed myself just in case, but I am now fitting in to size 16 (12 US) which I wasn't before I gave up smoking, so at least I still know that I am shaping up, even if I feel like I have put on a pound or two, which is really odd lol.

But smoking doesn't effect the WOE or at least I don't think it does...BUT in one of Dr Atkins books,the age defying diet and the vita nutrient supplement book, he tells you all the bad things smoking does do, especially with the ageing process. SO if you want to look and feel younger longer give up the dreaded weed.

Oh hark ye miss ex smoker lol. I promised not to beo ne of those born again non smokers lol, kicks myself up the derriere.

Have a great day

Suzanne
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 07:16

Stats: 277/227/170 Female 5'11
BF:37.2
Progress: 47%

Being a smoker, I think it is like any other habit that you are trying to break..one day at a time..but to all of you I am proud of everyone...even if you smoke or do not smoke just the fact that we all are trying to focus on losing weight..That is one HUGE STEP and I think that huge step may lead to other HUGE STEPS!

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE..AND THAX FOR THE ADVICE.. I think a lot of people are dealing w/ the same issues I face almost daily.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 07:39

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thanks for an excellent thread.
I think the original question was, does smoking interfere with weight loss. I think that we have anecdotal evidence that it does not.
Along the way we have explored some social issues! Fred is right, there is no real evidence that second hand smoke is causing cancer. I saw a 20/20 recently that explored that topic, and it is true. The argument has hung on the hinge of a discredited study.
Here in NYC, in Harlem specifically, they found one third of the children have asthma. Cause? Environment. I wish we were as passionate about environmental issues, as we are about smoking. Whats killing those kids are the toxins all around us, air and water, these things are killing us, but like the 90% of big fish missing from the ocean, they get little attention. The cost of Americans being overweight is far higher to each of us than smoking is. Again, there are no concrete steps taken by public interest groups or the industies fueling this obesity problem, thats why what Atkins has done is so right on. I wish he had lived to write his next book about the national epedemic of dia-besity.
We are all focusing on getting to a weight loss goal here. That step alone is an incredible one to make and our success average is expected to be about the same as someone quitting smoking, so we need to be strong for one another on that topic alone.
That said, I hope we get that national campaign to ban sugar going!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:09

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Fairchild, I agree with your first post that obesity causes more problems than smoking and apparently the insurance companies agree with you, too!!! Just before I started low carbing, I was looking at life insurance. Did you know that I could not get a quote unless I weighed less than 200 lbs??? There was a special number to call to speak with a "special services representative" to talk about life insurance for those who are obese.

Funny, though...when I put in 199 lbs. and that I smoked, the quote popped right up. I tried it without smoking at 199 lbs. as well, and while the quote was for less money each month, it wasn't a prohibitive difference. What I got from that whole thing was that insurance companies would rather insure a smoker than someone who is obese. Kinda makes you think, huh?

Anyway...I will be kicking the habit again. And yes, while I don't smoke I can preach with the rest of the reformed smokers, but then again...once a smoker, always a smoker in that you always have to watch yourself to make sure you don't start back again. My hubby quit for 8 years and started back. He's now been off them again for almost two years, but he knows the craving will never completely go away.

L
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:20

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally posted by LCBarbara

Tobacco use has no defense. The diseases it causes are killing 400,000 people in the U.S. alone EVERY YEAR!!!

I guess what they say is true, there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker

Anyhow, I am a smoker and I haven't noticed any slow downs because of it, I think my rate of loss has been excellent. I'll focus on quitting the cigs later, if I choose to.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 12:24

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I really take offense at the implications that I'm some kind of nut because I am so anti-tobacco. I recently lost my dearest nephew to cancer of the mouth and throat. (He was only 24) I guess I am a little closer to that reality than some of you. Hope it never happens to you or yours.