Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 23:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Question re: how to make LC choc chips

So I'm kind of tired of making LC choc chip cookies with SF choc chips or chopped up SF choc bars, because they are all made with sugar alcohols!!!! Even if they have Splenda too they have SAs and they just don't agree with me.

I am thinking about trying to make some homemade LC choc chips with Splenda as the only sweetener (well, maybe a sprinkle of trutina to get the synergistic affect of mixing sweeteners).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make them? I was thinking about melting unsweetened baking chocolate, adding some heavy cream (to make them "milk" choc chips perhaps?), maybe some SF Davinci syrup (no carbs vs. granular splenda), and then just a little bit of granular Splenda if needed. Then freezing them some how (mini muffin cups?) and breaking them into chips after they are frozen (then store in the freezer until use).

The only reason I hestitate with forging ahead, is because whenever I use unsweetened chocolate as a base, well, it always tastes so pungent, regardless of how much sweetener I add. So I'm not sure how this will do. Plus, if I sweeten it with Davinci instead of all granular Splenda (to have less overall carbs), will it freeze like ice? Then will then melt into a puddle in the cookies later or just soften like store bought chips do?

Any suggestions are most welcomed. I'd love Karen's thoughts too if she has the time.

Thanks! Jill

P.S. If I "perfect" this, I'll post it for everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:32

Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%

You've got the right idea! I would be careful with the davinci syrup though. May make the consistency too runny for baking them later. if you want the flavoring, just use a tbsp. Or you could opt for extracts...like orange..which is yummy with chocolate, or just vanilla...which I think makes chocolate taste really good! Another option, besides muffin cups...and easier I think, is to spread your chocolate mixture on some wax paper, or parchment paper that has been placed on a cookie sheet. then you can spread it out as thin or thick as you want. Then after you freeze it, just crumble it up! Also the cream will help to take the edge off the unsweetened chocolate. Adding a tiny bit of wax may help it to hold up to the baking too, just a thought. You can generally find the candy making wax in the baking aisle.

Rachel

Last edited by MrMsgirl : Mon, Jun-09-03 at 08:37.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:07

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%
Thumbs up Chocolate chips

Here is a recipe I found here on this site somewhere! Hope this helps!

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE "CHIPS"

3 unsweetened baking chocolate squares
2 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsp whipping cream
1/2 cup Splenda (or a little more if you like)

Melt chocolate and butter together (I do it very slowly in microwave - could do it in double broiler). Usually a little heat will soften the chocolate and just by sitting in the butter it will melt with some stirring. Mix Splenda and cream together and then stir into the chocolate mixture.

Pour and spread the mixture into a cake pan, put in the fridge to cool and harden. Then break or cut into pieces like chocolate chips. Do this the day before you need the chocolate so that it's ready.

I have put these into homemade protein bars and they work great!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 17:30

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thank you very much. I'll give them a try and see what happens!

Jill
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 15:18

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I tried making some Low-Carb Chocolate the other day. I used:

2 squares Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
1-2/3 Tbsp (24g) Coconut Oil
1-2/3 Tbsp (24g) Carb Countdown Whole Milk
1/2 tsp Stevia Extract Powder
1/2 Tbsp Liquid Saccharine

Adjusted to the amount of Chocolate you used, that would mean I used 3x as much Sugar Substitute as the recipe above called for. Mine came out kinda Bitter-Sweet, but the consistency was good. I'll try it again with less Stevia/Saccharine and see how they turn out. I might omit the Saccharine this time and just use all Stevia...I wonder how that'll effect the consistency ??? I've been trying to find PURE Cocoa Butter, as that's what's used in Real Milk Chocolate, but no such luck. All I've been able to find is Cocoa Butter made for Beauty Treatments that's got all kinds of other ingredients in it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 15:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good luck, I find chocolate doesn't mix well with splenda. Adding other stuff to it didn't help much either. For whatever reason, it doesn't soften that bitterness that chocolate has.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 18:33

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Good luck, I find chocolate doesn't mix well with splenda. Adding other stuff to it didn't help much either. For whatever reason, it doesn't soften that bitterness that chocolate has.

I think I finally got it...I decided to research how chocolate is made and I discovered something. Chocolate is made by mixing the Sugar and Milk, and then condensing it. After its condensed, they add the Chocolate and Fat. They also said that Vanilla covers up the bitterness somewhat. So, here's what I came up with:

Code:
Ingredients -- 1-3/8 cups (336g) Carb Countdown Whole Milk 5/8 tsp Stevia Extract Powder (KAL Brand) 2 Tbsp (28g) Coconut Oil 1 oz (28g) Unsweetened Baking Chocolate 1 Tbsp (12g) Vanilla Extract 1 Tbsp (12g) Whey Protein [or Carb Countdown Whole Milk] 1. Mix Milk and Stevia thoroughly. 2. Heat Milk on Medium, stirring constantly. 3. When Milk has Condensed to 1/2 cup (120g,) add Chocolate and Coconut Oil. 4. Continue stirring until fully melted and mixed. 5. Add 1 Tbsp (12g) Vanilla Extract and 1 Tbsp (12g) Whey Protein* 6. Remove from heat and stir together until fully mixed. 7. Place Parchment (Wax) Paper inside a small Plastic rectangular or square box. 8. Fold Wax Paper so that it covers both the bottom and sides of the container. 9. Cut in the corners to the height above the bottom you'd like the Chocolate to rise to. 10. Pour Chocolate in and allow to cool until a thick consistency. 11. Fold sides of Wax Paper down so that they form a wrapper around the chocolate bar. 12. Press the wax paper lightly until the chocolate is as evenly surfaced as possible. 13. Place in Freezer** and leave until hardened.

*I didn't have any Whey Protein up here, so I substituted LC Milk. My Bar came out very soft.
**It stayed soft even in the Fridge. Hence, the reason I said to use the freezer instead.

I finally found some pure Cocoa Butter. So, next time I might try using Half Cocoa Butter and Half Coconut Oil and see if it produces a Harder Bar. The Bar I got was decent, but definitely not best chocolate out there, but good enough. It tastes somewhat like a Dr. CarbRite (?) Bar, but without the Maltitol. Is that the right brand ??? If you aren't too picky about Chocolate, it should be fine. It doesn't leave a major bitter taste in my mouth like my other attempts did.

On a side note, if you don't stir the milk constantly, the cream will seperate and form a thin layer on top. This will trap the steam and when you come back, there'll be a huge Cream Bubble on the top. Just pop it and stir it back into the milk as much as possible.

Last edited by cc48510 : Sat, Apr-03-04 at 18:40.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 11:41

Plan: not
Stats: 310/310/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

U can buy chocolate chips/splenda on netrition site.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 13:49

Plan: various
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: