Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Question What are your physical goals (other than weight loss)?

When I started low carbing last July, I had a lot of physical goals: being able to comfortably walk several miles in hilly terrain, being able to climb several flights of stairs without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack, being able to cross my legs, and being able to ride a bike. I have met all those goals over the past year and I started looking around for new goals to help keep me motivated to lose more weight. While working in the garden this spring, I found my new physical goal -- I want to be able to comfortably squat down while pulling weeds or working among the flowers. Right now, I'm scared to squat -- I don't feel like I can balance at my current weight (upper 270s) and I am scared it will hurt my knees. I have to sit down on the ground or get down on my knees. (At least I am able to get up from the ground -- last summer I could not do that without crawling over to something I could use to pull myself up.) My new physical goal is to be able to squat when I plant my garden in spring of 2004.

What about the rest of you? I am wondering it other members of the Triple Digits Club have physical goals that help keep them motivated to lose more weight.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, Jun-08-03 at 10:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:26

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Exclamation Welcome back Liz

As usual, you've posed an interesting question that has me thinking.

I guess my physical goals are centered around my efforts at the gym and they tend to change weekly. Can I add 2 minutes or 1 intensity level on the cross trainer? Can I add 5 lbs. to one of the machines I'm using? Can I increase by 10 the number of calories I burn on the rower? I don't do well with large goals or ones too far in the future-- probably because of the amount of weight I have to lose. One future goal I've been mulling is to finally brave the stair stepper. Even with my increased fitness, my legs still ache when climbing stairs, so I've been leery about using it.

I can really relate to the crossing legs goal-- was thrilled to find at church recently that I can now cross my legs if I'm wearing jeans or pants with spandex. Still need to lose more to cross them while wearing my dressier synthetic-material pants.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 11:45

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile

Hmmmm, physical goals...gosh...you have made me think. I know that I had been having trouble gettin on the old socks every morning..partly from the weight I am sure, and partly from a sore back that I have right now. It seems easier right now...so that must be in part to the weight loss...as the back pretty much rules my life still.
I would like to be able to walk the 18 holes when I am golfing...tend to just ride the cart the past few years...and I used to love the walking...now whether I ever get back to my passion of golfing is still up in the air due to my back...but I have my fingers crossed.
I too, would love to be able to squat down...I know that is something I haven't done in years...
I would like to build up tolerance for exercise again...I have always been a big girl, but very active, and athletic all my life. I played fastball for 30 years...was a pitcher...and played volleyball, and badminton in the winters to stay in shape...somewhere that all went away...perhaps to get back out on the badminton court?? This old body will never play ball again however..
When I get into a program...weights etc...I love it...but have to confess to owning more than my share of the lazy stock...if it is a program..ie organized...instructor there, I am more motivated...if it is just me going to the gym...gt bored...need the pep and energy from someone doing with me. But I loved lifting weights...and hopefully I will get going on that soon too.
I bought a bike two years ago...did a bit of riding, which I enjoyed...but because of my weight, was always afraid to go too far because then I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back...used to drive my friends crazy...but you know...I would love to get on that bike and peddle my ass all over town...lol
Interesting thread you have started here...have had to think about this...and will follow with interest what others have to say.
Feel free to pop in and visit me...let me know how you are doing with your goals.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 12:06

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

crossing legs. . .can just do that now on the couch. . .next a real chair. ..in my days when the only place I was actually fat was in my mind. I could cross them twice. . .wind one around the other. . .while sitting in a real chair. ~sigh~someday! redawn
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 13:26
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Walk without pain.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 13:57

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

1) Reverse heart failure
2) Reduce/eliminate PCOS symptoms
3) If needed, get to 180 for a heart transplant but see number 1.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 15:07

Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Great question . . . I love to think!

I would like to be involved with my kid's activities as they grow up (and not have them be embarrassed). To camp and hike again. To ride a bike all over. I would like to go up in a hot air balloon. I would like to try lots and lots of things just once. I would like to ride a motorocycle (and not BE the hog!!!) I know people (skinny, fat, old, and young) say there are lots of things they would like to do - but I had stopped dreaming those dreams a long time ago. I'm thankful just to think about doing anything physical again.

By the end of summer, my goal is to take my kids for a ride in a go-cart. They (4yoDS and 3yoDD) took a ride with Daddy at the beginning of summer. He was the weight, then, I am hoping to be at by the end of summer. They would love this b/c they know that this is not the norm for mom!

Have an awesome day and may all of our goals be met!

Shari
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 06:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Lightbulb Thought provoking thread!

I can honestly say that one of my wants is not to cross my legs ... I have always complained about being tall and having such long legs that I have a hard time to find pants long enough, but they paid off when I was at my heavist weight. I could still cross my legs. Now, don't get me wrong ... it's easier now and will continue to get easier.

MY WISH LIST:
  1. I want to be able to run, without feeling like I am pounding myself to death, so I can run and play with my daughter.
  2. I want to be able to do the stretching exercises for my back and really get my knee to my chest. Maybe they would work better if I could do them right.
  3. I want to be able to ride a bicycle without selfconscienciousness by time my daughter is old enough to ride one by herself.
  4. I want to be able to hug my SO and our bodies touch from head to toe, instead of meeting at the bellies only.
  5. Be comfortable on my flight back to the USA later this year.
  6. I am hoping that my back problems will ease up when I am at goal weight. I have been thinner than this and still had problems. I am hoping and crossing my fingers.

Wow, it is different actually seeing the goals in print. It's a bit more inspiring. Thanks, Liz175, for starting this post.

I hope more people post their physical goals. I wish everyone the best in attaining their goals.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:59

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default Great thread!

hmmmm lets see here.........

I want to feel comfortable in a swimsuit that doesn't contain a skirt to cover my bum & thighs... I used to swim competatively but now I'm just lucky if I get into the water without shorts over my suit.

I want to be able to walk through the woods carrying all my hunting gear and not sweat to death in the middle of winter. I want to not huff & puff and scare all the animals away before I get to my stand.... I want to be able to keep up with my hubby in the woods. (yes I'm a woman and a hunter!!! I also do cometition shooting)

I want to be able to bend over to tie my shoes without getting light-headed.

That's about it for now but will definatly keep reading what others hope for.... Will also add any I might have left out.

GREAT THREAD!!!

Jessie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 11:21

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

I want to lower by bp.... and be able to physically exert myself without sweating myself silly. And, I want to feel cooler - I am always, always the hottest person in any room!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 12:44

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I share a lot of the same goals as most of you, but I think my biggest goal is to see myself the way that my husband sees me. He always tells me I'm beautiful and sexy to him, but I just can't grasp that. All I see is fat rolls and hidden muscles. It may take some time, but I want to learn to be comfortable with who I am and what I am. Heck, I already am 30 lbs. smaller than when I met him, but I just can't get it. Go figure.

Lofty goal, but I think I can do it.

Nikki
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:48

Stats: 380/380/290 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You ask great questions!

I have a few goals.

1. Prevent the onset of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

2. I'd like to be able to snowboard in the mountains when my goal weight has been reached.

3. Be in shape so I can explore the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

4. Visit all the state parks in the Southwest.

5. Fit behind the steering wheel so I can get my driver's license.

6. Maybe find a boyfriend.

7. I would love to wear a dress and go out on the town.

~ Lichen