Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:20

Plan: meat and eggs
Stats: 174/143/130 Female 62.5
BF:26
Progress: 70%
Default Milk and milk products intolerance

I have been on the Atkins plan for a long, long time. I have not lost any weight and infact has gained a substantial amount. Last year at this time I was only 154 lbs and three weeks ago I was 174 lbs. I read that some people are intolerant to any foods that come from a cows udder. So I Quit all the milk and dairy products. That is the only change I made and now I have finally started to loose the weight.

You might ask why did I stay on the plan for such a long time if I was gaining weight but I actually do really feel much better with I eat LC

I was wndering if anyone else has this problem and how they have delt with it. It really quite restrive when you cann't use any cream, sour cream or cheese. Even a lot of the commercial salad dressings have milk whey in them. I have found that a lot of the low carb substitutes also have whey protien in them. I have found that even the whey protien is a problem.

I have been lurking on thei s board for a long time and it seems that you are very supportive and have lots of help and information for those people that seem to have a problem.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:56

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I've heard of a lot of ppl stalling with cheese.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 21:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It could be the dairy. Have you ever gone to an allergist/naturopath to have it checked out?

If you were eating a lot of high fat dairy like whipping cream, cream cheese and sour cream, it could be the calories. I know that calories don't count, but for some they do.

I feel much better avoiding cow products but like to have a wee bit of goat's cheese everyday and cream with berries for dessert when I'm out. I'm not allergic or intolerant to it but when I eat it I get a gnawing feeling of dissatisfaction in my stomach that makes me want to eat more.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I remember reading some stuff about this, written by Natrushka. I think she had this theory that cows being lactating females, their milk was full of female hormones that affected us human females a bit like the birth control pill or pregnancy might and cause us to store fat.
It sounds plausible.
Whatever the reason, when I give up dairy, I lose faster too.

It could just be that cutting out the dairy cuts carbs and calories too - I've never done it very scientifically and replaced the carbs and calories from another source to check.

Like you though Prairiegal, I resist doing this, cos the only things that keep me going sometimes are yoghurt, cream and cheese.
I save it for desperate times when I haven't lost for ages and I'm getting despondent!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
It could be the dairy. Have you ever gone to an allergist/naturopath to have it checked out?

Karen

This is a very good suggestion! I never knew that I was allergic to milk protein until I had my son. He was allergic and he broke out around his mouth and neck. We took him off of real milk and used soy and it cleared up so I decided to get tested. The testing site on my arm swelled like a balloon. That was 3 years ago and even the slightest sip of milk caused a huge break out so I use soy everything. Due to that, I strongly recommend that people have food allergy tests done...especially if you notice that a certain food type is causing internal or external problems.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 10:57

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

about a year and a half ago I discovered I was lactose intolerant. . .I would love to say my Dr. discovered it. . .but after several appointments and them looking all kinds of places (as a woman they always seem to want to find problems with the female plumbing) at the time I remember saying. . ."I really don't think it is monthly related, I really think it is disgestive.". . .Did I get listened to? No. It's my body. . .but what do I know. . .so I went on line (I was worried I had a piece of dead colon or a sever blockage) nope turns out it was lactose intolerance. . .always have lactaid on hand. ..but since starting the Atkins diet. . .cheese never was an issue even before(thanks GOD! I love extra sharp cheddar) and I guess since I am eatting so little regular milk. . .not an issue. . .cream has alot less of the sugar I can't break down and on a post about yogurt if you eat the whole milk Stoneyfield Farms it will give you back good bacteria into your system and might help with the pain. redawn
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 11:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I notice on days where I have to much dairy I seem to crave more and don't lose even a bit that day. I just have to learn how to control my dairy intake.

On a side note a few years back I become lactose intolerent after taking strong anitibiotics. Somehow I managed to get over it and was able to process milk again. I had always understood once you lost that bacteria it was gone.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 11:53

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I am not sure if the spec ex ones that can digest milk come back. . .but the accidophilus (pease like I can EVEN think about spelling that. . .I need an asprin!) bacteria. . that digest the milk sugars in milk to make yogurt. . .are some of the good bacertia that natural yogurt gives you. .. I had C-sections with all my kids and nothing help thrush fluorish like antibioctic! And the only thing that ever worked on my kids were power accido(go laugh at the other way I spelled it) powder and whole milk Stoneyfield Farm yogurt and air. . .cleared it on both ends. . .that Nyastin (sp again) stuff never touched it. . . .wouldn't a nice bowl of whole milk yogurt (be sure to mix it. . .the SF yogurt has cream on the top) strawberries and a little splenda and vanilla. . .makes a great breakfast! And helps your colon and tastes like it is bad. . .but it's good for you in many ways. . .! redawn
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 12:40

Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

I had a three week stall and quit bacon, lunch meats, most cheeses, and switched to soy milk. I then lost 6 lbs. I find that if I do drink milk now I will throw up. I will then be so hungry that salad or chicken will not satisfy me. I have just found different alternatives to dairy, it is very hard but seeing the weight loss helps. Good luck!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 07:24

Plan: meat and eggs
Stats: 174/143/130 Female 62.5
BF:26
Progress: 70%

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. I feel like I am not so alone and different. I have not really checked into the many soy dairy repalcements and I have not tried any goat or sheeps milk cheeses. I will be doing this next time that I go to the store.

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 08:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is also some LC soy milks out there. You just have to be careful to get the kind with 1 ECC and no sugar. They are relativly low in fat though so they can't help with ratios like cream can.