Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default I screwed up and had thin crust pizza. Should I take a 'Carb Cutter?'

I have a bottle of these. Says to take them with your highest carb meals.

I know I messed up. At least it was thin crust, right?
I have a hard time resisting pizza when its my TOM.
I only ate two full slices, then some cheese from the others.

I am such a bad girl!

DO you think these carb cutters will help? Do they work at all. Gah. I'm a poophead.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:16
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I've never tried a carb cutter pill, but personally, I would just forgive myself and get back on the plan. I would bet you didn't do as much damage as you think. I heard that crab cutters only work (if they do work at all) on starchy carbs like potatoes.

I think carb cutters might help you to form the mindset that it's ok to cheat...the pills will just fix it. i don;t know about you but I would be more likely to cheat in that case.

Figure out an emergency substitution for the next time you are PMSing or are in a pizza place -- like just eating the toppings, having a big salad instead of pizza, snacking on mozzerela melted on top of slices of pepperoni, etc.

So right now -- don't beat yourself up. Do not make yourself feel bad. Have a big glass of water, say to yourself "ok, what can I learn from what happened", and continue on the program.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A Tombstone thin crust pizza, 1/4 of the pizza, has 24 effective carbs, so you didn't do THAT bad. But...learn from the experience and don't beat yourself up over it and get back on track again with the next thing you eat.
I'd hesistate to recommend a carb cutter to anyone as a means to offset a cheat. Why? Because it would be too easy to get into the mindset of "oh, well...a cheat here and there won't matter...I have the carb blockers." I'm also really skeptical over how well those things really work as well.
The whole idea behind low carb is to learn how to eat and change your eating habits for life, not how to cheat and take carb blockers to counteract it.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:32

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

The blockers don't work. At least they have not really worked for me. I would just jump back on the plan. HTH
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:46

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
originally posted by Lisa N:
Carb blockers also will only block starchy carbs, they don't block the carbs from sugar and there is a limit to how many grams of carb they can block per meal. Carb blockers also have the unfortunate effect of also blocking the absorption of important vitamins and minerals.

I wouldn't sweat it. As others have said jump back on plan and drink lots of water. It really doesn't seem worth it to put strange chemicals into your body. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:52

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Nah. Look, at your accomplishment -- you've lost <b>40%</b> of your weight! A bad day won't affect that if you just forget it and stay on track. Don't worry about it and treat tomorrow as new day.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:38

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

Wow, thank you so much. I don't feel so bad now. The only reason I do feel bad is because I do so well on a day to day basis, and am proud of that. I will just learn from it, yes.

And...WOW! I had never thought of that it way, I HAVE lost 40% of my weight

I will go for a long run tomorrow and drink tons of water tonight. Thanks for the support, people. You rock.