Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Starting Monday-tips needed, many questions

Hi all, just found this place. Hope I end up in the right thread
I'm starting Atkins Monday (6/9 because my children will be out of town for the rest of the month). I have read the Atkin's New Diet Cookbook and understand the basics. I have always been a Low Fat-Low Cal dieter but for some reason its not working for me now, so I'm willing to try Atkins.
If I understand the basics is no carbs/no sugar. So can I get some hints on what to watch out for, good snack foods etc. I don't eat breakfast but I do like eggs and I see alot of people recommending them. Are there some foods I wouldn't expect to be high sugar or carbs to avoid?
I'm big on snacking, the only thing i've seen is pork rinds any other suggestions? Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:06

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Hello and Welcome!

First off, you need to read Atkin's New Diet Revolution, not just the cookbook, so that you know hwo to start induction, what to stay away from etc.

There is a lot of info on the internet, but the book is really the best way to start and youcan find them at any bookstore or on Amazon.

I believe info for induction is on the Atkins Center website, but am not sure the Web address...Anyone?

good Luck!

Shelly
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:13

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Here is the website - http://atkins.com/index.html

I agree - you should read the New Diet Revolution. It has so much more information re: nutritional needs than the cookbook.

The best way to start is get the list of induction safe foods from the website.

Get rid of all the hi-carb food in your house. Give it away.

Be sure to drink LOTS of water!

Fill your fridge with lots of induction safe foods.

It really helps to plan your meals ahead of time.

Best of luck and WELCOME
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:14

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

It's www.atkinscenter.com click on How to do Atkins, then you can click on 'Before you begin' ,' induction 'and so on. When you click on induction , over to the right is a link for acceptable foods. But you really do need the book. They sell it there for $5.99 and I paid $7.99 at the book store... I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning by not having it.. Shhh! But I still haven't finished either.....I promise I will though... Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

I eat cheese cubes. One serving is about 1 carb (8 cubes), and they always fill me up.

Also snack on olives. Again, very filling.

For breakfast, I have found that eggs and cream cheese can be manipulated in countless ways.

As for the hidden sugar, I have found that alot of my spices have sugar in them (which sucks, because they are good).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:22

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
If I understand the basics is no carbs/no sugar.

Definitely no sugar, but not "no" carbs. Even on induction, you should shoot for 20 grams of carb per day coming mostly from veggies on the allowed list for induction.
The cookbook does give a brief outline as does the website, but you really need to read the whole book (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) to get the full picture. Try to get the most recent edition published in 2001.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:27
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Or get the book at the library!

Check out the recipe threads here, as well. Good luck and welcome!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 240/225/118
BF:
Progress: 12%
Wink WELCOME :)

Welcome
Hello and welcome!
Everyone here is so helpful and using this forum has been a godsend for me...I hope you utilize it as well ..click on it often for a boost!
That is my number one tip for you
Secondly ..water water water! It not only flushes excess water from your body it helps to flush fat, keep more elasticity in the skin and overall massages your vital organs keeping you hydrated..which is so important since this diet really works well as a diruetic. Which is a blessing!
Constipation is common during induction, I don't know if it is the body's shift in your way of eating or just such a cut down on fiber..but check out a good answer for that BEFORE it happens just in case. I use pysllium husks..and lots of water. There are many name brand bulk offering alternatives..no sugar added of course. SO just be prepared.
Another thing..don't look at the scales so much..measure yourself when you start. You will be surprised at the inches you will lose when the scale says little to nothing And if you weigh everyday ...average it out at the end of the week to see what you have really accomplished I know last week I was really doing well and I gained one day...on my averages on Tuesday being my seventh day in induction I had LOST So it is the overall picture that counts
That's about all I have that you have not already heard. Just keep at it ..the cravings and hunger will disappear as if a miracle has happend and when you get into your first week ..you will see an energy boost like you won't believe! That alone is enough to make me want to stay on Atkins for life! LOL
Good luck and I hope to read of your success on the boards! Happy Low Carbing!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:27

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default wow thank you all

quick responses. the book I got is Dr. Atkins' New Diet Cookbook, which has the induction and maintenance instructions (and alot of recipes) but I guess I'll get the other book and read it all weekend before I start monday (while I cram myself full of bread lol- my weakness!). The hardest part is changing from lowfat -my brain is trained to say no to meat, butter, cheese etc unless of course it says fatfree. Should be interesting to do the opposite
and I'm assuming "fake" sugar is okay, no way I can give up my Diet Coke!
Thanks again
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 240/225/118
BF:
Progress: 12%
Wink

The only thing about Diet Coke is that is needs to be caffeine free. Caffeine seems to hinder some people I gave it up and now I drink decaf everthing or no caffeine at all.

In soda...watch the sodium too..it can slow you down..I learned that first hand last week. When I switched to Diet Rite and Faygo sodas I did better. I am over the caffeine headaches and such now and I feel better NOT using caffeine....hope this helps

Also..my rule ..whatever I drink be it diet soda or crystal light ..whatever I drink ..I drink as much water as I do anything else. I keep my water intake up like that and it helps to flush out any excess so ...it works what can I say? LOL
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You also have to be careful about asperteme in the coke. Atkins recomends staying away from it as it stalls some people and also may cause health problems. Same with Saccrine. Splenda is an ok fake sugar, and there are a few others out there.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 19:18

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Solamander, try to take some key measurements. This is the one thing I really regret not doing. Because it can come in handy during those times ahead when the movement on the scale is more like an unwelcome "hover" than the much-preferred "downward movement.

Also, like everyone has said it is VERY important to read the book, so you know what the list of Acceptable Foods are for Induction. You can also view this list at the Atkins website: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html It is helpful to print out the list, so you can take it with you (it's hard to remember each and everything). Pay attention to the Special Category Foods as there are daily limits imposed in Induction. Another thing to note, whipped topping is not Cool-Whip. This is a common mistake made (I made it early on), Cool-Whip is a no-no all throughout Atkins because it contains sugar. The better alternative is to whip your own with heavy cream (it tastes better anyways).

For sugarfree jello, I use Skamito's/Angela's recipe:

2 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
1 packet Kool-Aid flavoring (unsweetened)
8-10 packets (16-20 teaspoons granulated) Splenda to taste
One cup hot water
One cup cold water

Follow the basic gelatin recipe on the box. You can use a variety of flavors because of the amount of Kool-Aid flavors. The reason I use this, all the packaged sugarfree jello mixes at the supermarket all contain aspartame.

Other "surprises" I found when starting out: Balsamic vinegar, ketchup, and BBQ sauce (not a real surprise there if you've seen a recipe for BBQ sauce) all contain sugar. Carrots are a high-carb veggie. Half-and-half is not ideal for Atkins because it contains lactose, the milk sugar. Go easy on the salt and processed meats if salt causes lots of water retention in you. Read labels!!! Can't really think of much else. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

WELCOME and GOOD LUCK to you!

I agree with those who suggest the book ,DANDR. Please read it before starting. It will HELP.

Also...read the website very carefully. www.atkinscenter.com

It will also be a HUGE help to you!

Be prepared...plan ahead...the research you do now, will greatly help later!

and remember; WATER, WATER.WATER!

Best wishes:
Jake