Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Modified for women induction between 10-15 gms per day
Stats: 135/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Default whats the scoop?

What is the real scoop on the carb solutions bars? Only two grams each? They should be ok right?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 14:12

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Try closer to 14 + grams per bar.

No they aren't okay.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 14:19
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Carb Solutions bars

hi Dalene,

I tried to look up the Ingredients and Nutrient data for these things, but their website offers no such information...

The problem with many of the "lowcarb" protein bars is that they are NOT truly lowcarb. Often they contain sweeteners which the manufacturers are not required (yet) to declare as carbs, but they are in fact carbs, or else they act like carbs in the body and can and will inhibit ketosis and fat-burning. Some examples of these sweeteners are glycerine, glycerol, maltitol, HSH, sorbitol, inulin, maltodextrin and glucose polymer ... and there are others.

These bars are notorious stallers for many people, especially since the label only declares 2 carbs, so the person may eat 2 or 3 of these things a day. It may well be that the Carb Solutions bars do not contain any of those undeclared carbs ... I know a number of members here have stated they enjoy them occasionally and are losing weight. Maybe if you listed the ingredients, and the nutrient data from the label of one of the bars ... we could take a look at it, and see if there are any undeclared carbs in there.

When following Induction, especially if you've been dieting and lowcarbing longterm, it may be best to do the program EXACTLY as Atkins outlines in the book. There are no bars or other highly processed foods listed, and a minimum of sweetened recipes even. Two weeks of REAL food .... meats, fish, proteins ... fresh vegetables and salads, mayonnaise, butter, dairy products (watch the carbs) ... might be just the boost you need to break this stall that you're experiencing. Once Induction is over, and you're in ketosis and fat-burning mode, you could try adding back the bars.

Hope this helps,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%

Agonycat: How do you figure they have 14 carbs???
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 16:29
Registered Member

BF:

Carb Solution Bars:

Calories 230
Calories from fat 70
Total fat 8g
Saturated Fat 3.5g
Cholesterol 5mg
Sodium 200 mg
Potassium 120mg
Total Carbohydrate 2g
Dietary fiber 0g
Sugars 2g
Protein 22g

Doreen - is there any other information you would need?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 16:40
Forum Founder

BF:

If you plug the figures into Wa'il's handy dandy Hidden Carb Detective, you'll see that there are almost 16 carbs NOT accounted for on the label. Calories aren't made of thin air, and if you add up the calories from fat, and the calories from protein, there's nearly 75 calories leftover. They are carbs, whether or not the manufacturer declares them on the label.

Active Low-Carber Handy Carb Counter and Hidden Carb Detector can be found here .. http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/index.html ... Bookmark that page with your Favorites ..

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 16:47
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

OK - now I am soooooooooo depressed! Those bars help get me through on tough days.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 16:50
Forum Founder

BF:

what are the ingredients, now that my curiosity is piqued?? I'm dying to know what the sweetener is ... we can't get the Carb Solutions products in Canada yet.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:03
Registered Member

BF:

Carb Solution bars

Protein blend (Contains: Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein, Calcuim Caseninate, Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Glycerin, Dry Roasted Hazelnuts, Polydextrose, Xylitol, Vatiamin & Mineral Blend (Contains: Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Ascorbic Acid, dl-alpha-tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Clacium D-Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Retinyl Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin), Partially Hydogenated Palm kernel Oil, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, Natural and Articiial Flavors, Ghee (clarified butter) Maltitol, Cocoa (processed with alkali) Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Slt, Potassium Sorbate (preservative) Sucralose.

Man - that was hard to type! Never ever heard of most of it, let alone be able to spell it. I guess I don't understand how that hidden carbs counter works. Also, according to it, The Atkins Diet Advantage Bars have more like 10 carbs each. Unfortunately the Carb Solution bars taste much better. Maybe the unaccounted for calories are protein (wishful thinking?!?) lol
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:13
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by iteachca
Carb Solution bars

Protein blend (Contains: Hydrolyzed Collagen Protein, Calcuim Caseninate, Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Glycerin, Dry Roasted Hazelnuts, Polydextrose, Xylitol, Vatiamin & Mineral Blend (Contains: Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Ascorbic Acid, dl-alpha-tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Clacium D-Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Retinyl Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol, Cyanocobalamin), Partially Hydogenated Palm kernel Oil, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Cocoa Butter, Natural and Articiial Flavors, Ghee (clarified butter) Maltitol, Cocoa (processed with alkali) Partially Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin, Slt, Potassium Sorbate (preservative) Sucralose.
These are all carbohydrates that are as yet unclassified by the FDA ... which only has legal classification for sugars, starches and dietary fiber. Therefore, there is no legal requirement for the manufacturer to declare them on the label ... YET. That will change.

Glycerin is often used in sports bars ... it is absorbed rapidly, and does not require insulin to be taken into the muscle to be used a s fuel. So, your muscles use the glycerine in preference to ketones .... ketosis and fat-burning is put on hold. You may still be showing ketones in the urine using the sticks ... but that's because the ketones are spilling ... they're not being used up by the muscles.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, that is absorbed more slowly than regular sugar. But it is absorbed nonetheless. Polydextrose is a glucose polymer, similar to maltodextrin, which is the bulking agent they add to powdered versions of most artificial sweeteners. It is a carb, and it does have calories.

My suggestion is the same as above to Dalene .... follow Induction exactly as Atkins has outlined in the book. Two weeks .. that;'s only 14 days ... eat only REAL food. When Induction is over, then cautiously add the carbs back a little at a time. You may be able to enjoy the bars occasionally, without affecting your weight loss effort. But I'm reading your posts elsewhere, and it sounds like it may well be those bars causing the stall ... and keeping your carb-cravings triggered in the process.

Just my 2¢ ..

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:20
Registered Member

BF:

Well, fortunately I haven't eaten a lot of those bars so it shouldn't have affected me that much. I have been on this diet since June 30th and lost 10 by July 8th and nothing since then. I eat mostly cheeses, meats, eggs, and steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus. The stall is soooooo frustrating.

Is there any "snacks" like these bars out there that are okay?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%

Oh my goodness!! No wonder I have not lost and or gained any weight. I have been having two a day because I couldn't get over how good they were for only 2 carbs. Now I know why. I am so glad I have been visiting this site. I have learned tons more with real life situations than just reading a dry book.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-01, 17:37
Registered Member

BF:

What about the Protein Power bars? I haven't tried them yet but according to Dr. Eades (the author) they only have 8grams of ECC
but the Hidden Carbs Calculator says otherwise...

Protein Power Bars Info:

Calories 260
Calories from Fat 50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

% Daily Value*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 6g 10%
Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 160mg 7%
Potassium 110mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate** 23g 8%
Dietary Fiber
Contains less than 1g 4%
Sugars 7g
Sugar Alcohols 14g
Protein 30g 60%

Vitamin A 0% ¤ Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 20% ¤ Iron 6%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Calories per gram:
Fat 9 ¤ Carbohydrate 4 ¤ Protein 4
** Sugar Alcohols and certain other non-absorbable carbohydrates do not react like regular carbohydrates and produce only a negligible amount of glucose in the body. When determining absorbable carbohydrate intake per serving, use 7-8 grams.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 03:51
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone - but well Ok the carb solution bar facts are VERY depressing as far as I am concerned, here they over charge you to begin with and then you find out the real carb count is way above what you thought? How can we trust anything????

Here is another recipe I have been using to get through. It also taste to good to be true. Does anyone know what the truth is on this?

Smoked fish dip to use with pork skins

3 - 8 ounce cans of tuna in water
1 pkge - 8 ounce cream cheese
2/3 cup mayo
two capfulls liquid smoke

Have been eating 1/3 of this a day with pork rines..... Is THAT ok?

And canned sardine??? It says 0 carbs, are they ok or does the fact that they are canned ruin it?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 04:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

What does this statement mean? It is on ALL the LOW carb stuff????

** Polydextrose and glycerine, while included in the 'Calories' count, have been omitted from the 'Total Carb' count as their impact on blood sugar/insulin levels is negligible.

Why in the world would Atkins sell these things with hidden carbs which would prevent a person from being succefull???? I am totally amased by this new discovery and the implications! It makes NO sense at all!