Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 02:47

Plan: CAD
Stats: 434/397/170 Female 69"
BF:50%
Progress: 14%
Arrow Do you have 200+ lbs to loose?

I am trying to find others like me with 200 lbs or more to loose. I am very new to this forum and would love to visit with others like me that have 200+ pounds to loose. I know I could search through all the journals, trying to find others like me with - but I thought this might be the quickest way to find you out there!!!!

Ok, here is some of 200+ pounds to loose question...

1. How do you weigh yourself? (My scale only goes up to 390 lbs. ... :eek

2. Where or how do you "workout"? (I am doing chair "dancing" and walking)

3. What is the weirdest reaction you have had about the diet you are on? (I was eating a green salad and my son asked, "are you sure you should eat all of that?" I had to laugh inside thinking about what he would have said if he saw my "reward meal" - I'm on CAD)

Thank you for reading and I look forward to responses...????

~ Pam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 06:53
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well... I don't have QUITE 200... but I started at 170, which is certainly close. *g* I'm down 14 pounds now, which is very good... but I see a long stretch ahead of me!

To be honest... I don't HAVE a scale! I tried to buy one a few months ago, before I'd had a weigh in--and I thought I was under 300 pounds. Imagine my disgust when the one I bought wouldn't read my weight accuratly!

I get weighed in at the gym I go to once a month, and have decided not to be tempted to try and weigh in between. I may have been curious last month... but getting on the scale every day and seeing no change... or maybe one pound gone... wouldn't have felt as good as getting on it last week to see 7 had melted off!

I work out at Curves, a gym for women. Even though I'm certainly large... there are women larger than me there who are doing all the same exercises and losing weight! It's very low impact, work at your own pace--and a very comfortable atmosphere.

The nicest part about Curves it that if you come in looking to lose weight--if you're not doing low-carb, they SUGGEST it to you. They have a plan (Very Atkins-esque) that they offer to those who aren't following a low carb plan yet.

As for reactions... *g* Well, my family and my fiance are both very supportive and happy for me, especially when I got on the scale last week and saw my second chunk of pounds gone in as many months! My mother is the one who made me start low carbing, so even though we live quite a ways away we're good at supporting each other.

My roommate, however... well, her doctor put her on some weird diet pills while my doctor was encouraging me on low-carb (I love my doctor)... so at first she watched me eat these nice meals with steak or turkey or chicken and cheese and fresh veggies and fruit with a very superior look (as if saying--you'll never eat that and lose weight!). Lately, she's been looking a little jealous.

Which makes me wonder... I've heard so many horror stories about doctors and low carbing... am I just very lucky, or does anyone else have a doctor who is educated and approving of low carb diets?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 10:20
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Pam,

I started with approximately 185 pounds to lose, although my goal weight still leaves me in the "overweight" category on the official weight charts, so if I was totally honest I'd probably say I had closer to 200 pounds to lose.

Here's my answer to your first question:

I actually don't know exactly what I weighed when I started low carbing last July. My doctor's scale only went up to 350 and I was above that. 360, which is what I entered in my profile, is only an estimate and I think I may well have been closer to 370. My bathroom scale only went up to 330.

I started low carbing in July and did not weigh again until mid or late September when I happened to be in a place with a doctor's scale that went up to 350. I decided to try the scale and found that I was at 335. A few weeks after that I started being able to weigh myself on my bathroom scale.

For the first couple of months I just took it on faith that low carbing was working for me. I had tried everything else except weight loss surgery, so I had no other alternatives. I could tell that for the first time since I could remember I was not hungry all the time and I was eating less than I had been. At a minimum, I figured that by eating less I was at least halting the constant weight gain that had plagued me for the past 15 or 20 years. I also had more energy and just felt healthier. These things, combined with the fact that I was at the end of my rope and had no other alternatives, kept me going.

If you are interested, you can read the first entry in my journal which summarizes my first few months of low carbing (I didn't start the journal until I had already been doing this for four months).

Here's my answer to your second question:

When I started low carbing, the only exercise I could do was in the water. My knees and back could not handle my weight well enough to allow me to do any exercise that involved standing. Fortunately for me, I have always been a lap swimmer and even at my heaviest weight I swam regularly. I gradually added walking into my exercise routine as my weight began to drop and walking is now my primary exercise. (I walk for 50 minutes to an hour, four to six days a week.) I am now starting to experiment with somewhat more strenuous exercise -- a little bike riding and jogging a few steps here and there during my walks. I'm also including more hills in my walks -- when I first started walking I tried to find the most level routes and now I try to find hilly routes that challenge me more.

If you really want inspiration about exercising while at a high weight, click here for Quiggley's journal. She started low carbing when she weighed about 570 and started water exercise when she weighed around 450. She now weighs around 330.

Here's my answer to your third question:

I don't think I've had any weird reactions to the way I eat. When I started low carbing, I did not tell anyone except my husband that I was changing the way I was eating. I had to tell him, because he is the main cook and grocery shopper in our household. He was very concerned about the impact of my weight on my health and was therefore very supportive of the changes I was making. He read all the articles I was reading that led me to make the decision to low carb, so he understood the science behind this way of eating. I am very fortunate to be married to such a kind, understanding man. Most people in my life now know how I am eating because they have noticed my weight loss and asked. Given my success (losing 80+ pounds and four clothing sizes is pretty noticeable), they cannot react any way except positively.

Last edited by liz175 : Sun, May-11-03 at 10:34.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 10:41

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%
Default Sure do, I have 220 to lose...

I need to buy a scale, I have not weighed myself since I started. I could go to Kmart and get on their scale, I will when I haven't screwed up like I did yesterday and eat a bunch of junk, both sugar filled and sugar-free. I shouldnt've bought those sugar-free cookies...and went to the bakery for my daughter's junk food. Also, I haven't been doing excerises, it's hard for me to get my mind thinking that I can do things now. I have to remind myself to get up instead of getting my daughter to do it for me. I have to get up for now and move more. I have more energy but in my mind I'm still stuck. So, for me excerise will be throwing a ball with my daughter and actually retrieving the ball instead of just standing there like a stump, to walk a little more until I can walk with no problems at all or until I convince my mind that I can do it. It's a matter of reminding myself that I can.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:19

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default 200+++pounds to go! Also Scale Answers

Hi there and welcome, I started at 500 pounds and am now down to 460.
Honestly walking is the best exercise for me but I live out in the country on a pretty quiet road so I have nice walks with my dog 20min a day, 5 days a week and then I don't on the weekends to give my joints and muscles a break.

As for the scale questions, awhile ago I broke down and bought myself a very expensive scale from "Ample Stuff", I got it from thier print catalog but they might have a website or you can go to the NAFFA website and they might be able to help.
I have been VERY HAPPY with it, it weighs up to 1,000 pounds!

Hey any Doctor that doesn't have a scale that has tip weights or
is digital.............well then it is truely time to search for another Doctor of if you like that one TELL them it is thier responsiblity
to have a scale that will weigh ALL people!

I am all for "Fat Activism", if you don't say something who will?
I am also for loving yourself at any weight. For me loosing was a matter of health, I found out I was diabetic plus I had no energy!
The Atkins/low carb eating has helped so much and I am happy with my weight lose.
Sometimes the numbers see soooooo high and I have so much to lose but I tell myself "just get through today" and I do.

My husband is a lean and muscular guy and weighs like 130 pounds! Well he just found out he has high cholesterol!
He is now on the Atkins plan with me to get his blood fat levels down.

My son is 12 and tonight I was having beef and veg stew and didn't have the rice I made to go with it, he came in and said "mama isn't rice bad for your blood sugar??" I told him that I wasnt having the rice and he was relieved:-)
I admire that he is more worried about my blood sugar than ever my appearance.
My oldest boy takes after his dad is is tall and lean. He feels dad he can't gain weight no matter what! Funny but we all have our
struggles but with emotional support and inner strength we can
achieve our far away goals.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 01:20

WOW, it is sure great to hear that others are into this low carb for the long haul!!!

Breecita, liz175, Nibby, and leasmom it is sooooo good to meet you all.

leasmom, I see that you do not have a journal so I am going to respond to your posting in here..... THANKS so much replying to my post. Scales can be very expensive but sure come in handy when trying to establish wieght goals, but you can also amke goals around clothing sizes. How old is your daughter??? Throwing a ball with your daughter sounds wonderful. Life style excercise can also be effective, like parking the car in the furthest spot from the store, climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator, and retrieving the ball instead of just standing there like a stump!!!

Hope everyone will have a great week... I look forward to meeting all of you and others too!!!!

Take care,
Pam
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 13:09

Stats: 420?/325/2 Female 69"
BF:75/70.8/28
Progress:

I am 430?(I dont know for sure cause my doctors scale only goes to 350),and I should be 175.
I once got down to 189 and I think that 175 is correct.I am 5'9''.
When I lost that time I didnt do any excersize.
This time I am doing some and I dont care what my weight is as long as I feel good and am healthy.
I would like to keep track of my weight just to see what I am losing and so at the end I can brag!!lol
My disabilities dont permit me to walk but I do go to a seniors tai chi class 2x each week,am going to start chair dancing next week and as soon as I can fit a pair of long shorts I will start aqua arobics.I really want to do some weight training too but Im not sure how
I have convinced my daughter that low carbing works and she started it herself 2 weeks ago
My son can see that it works and says he will do it too.(Right now he is taking Xenical and on a low fat diet.The pills cost him 450.00 for 3 months worth so he is going to use them...)
My x sees it working and thinks its great
My closest friend is confused by it...

Take one day at a time.Be proud of what you are doing for yourself.And keep it up!

I am glad you posted.And happy to reply!
...2much
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 20:22

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Me Too!

I have 200+ to loose. I started at 380 this past January and am now down to 349. I felt so good when I broke the 350 mark. I feel good. I just hope I can stick to this. I don't seem to be loosing quickly but a steady 2 pounds a week. I don't exercise- just too big for that right now. I have heard good things aout Curves-for bigger women. When I get to 300 I think I will be ready to exercisewithout hurting myself. This forum is great. Everybody is just so supportive and encouraging. I guess we are all in the same boat--and we know each others difficulties.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 01:46

I am so glad to meet you all and know that we all have quite a bit of time to "do" on this diet adventure... but togethter we can do it!!! I love your postive energy... thank you.

It is good to hear from all of you... thanks for your postings. I am posting responses in your journals, but I did not see that you do not have one, KRJKRJ.

KRJKRJ, thanks for replying to my post. Congradulations on getting down to 349!!!! Curves - Breecita posted in my posting too and she goes to Curves!!! She seems to like it. I really don't know much about it, but maybe there is one near to my home... it says Curves- for woman, but it is in someones home or gargage. I agree that everybody is supportive and encouraging in this forum. Thinking of you.

Take Care,
Pam
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 05:31
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

KRJKRJ--If I were you, I'd go take a peek at Curves now. *g* I wasn't much lighter than you when I started, and there are women there bigger than me who are doing fine!

It's REALLY low impact, and you can really set your own pace. I can't tell you how helpful it's been for me, and the people (both employees and other women) are GREAT!

Just so you won't be surprised--Curves isn't ONLY for larger women. There are people there the size of my leg... but then there are people larger than me. There are also 15 year olds and 75 year olds. It's a great mix of women, and I think that's one of the reasons I like it so much. It's very diverse, but still a very comforting atmosphere.

So don't be afraid to take a peek... even if you're not ready yet. THey'll certainly let you try out a machine or two to see if you think you can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:30
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have more than 200 pounds to lose. In fact, 267 pounds. Now, as I read thru several hundred messages on these forums, I see that I have more weight to lose than many of the members are in total body weight. And I laughed. nah, it isn't funny. I just laughed.
I KNOW I will lose the weight I need to live as I am tired of the alternative. There are many in these forums that have already successfully taken the path I find before me now. I truely believe God has granted me the wisdom to follow them toward a healthier life. THEY know the path. I merely follow. Happily.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 23:47
Registered Member

Stats: 320/280/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi there. I don't quite have 200 lbs to lose, but close enough. I'm really glad to have found a forum that's not full of 160 lbs soccer moms complaining that they're a size 14. It's good to know there are people out there just like me.

As for the questions,
1. I don't weigh myself, our scale only goes up to 280 and I think size is more important than actual weight. (also a bit scared of the scale )

2. I mostly take walks, I live out in the boonies so I walk the logging road behind my house. They don't log here anymore so I won't get flattened . I also have an old nordictrac walkfit I drug out of the garage to use when it rains. I have only had it a couple days so I haven't really go the hang of it. I also have a stationary bycylce that I should use more than I do.

3. Not really any weird reactions, but once my best friend said "You can eat a bacon cheeseburger but not baby carrots?! What the hell kind of a crazy diet is that?!" I told her "The hell kind of a crazy diet where you actually lose weight." She couldn't really argue with that when the results where right in front of her eyes.

Funny that all our lives we were eating exactly what we thought we were supposed with no positive results. We turn around and eat greasy bacon cheeseburgers and voila, the pounds start melting away.

-dewdropt
p.s check out my journal if you want
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 00:00
Contributing Member

Stats: 420/335/175 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:Don't/go/there
Progress: 35%

Hi Pam,

I am new to this site also and have just been trying to find my way around it. I was very happy to find your posting, I am also
from the Pacific NW, I live in Washington State, 45 min. from Portland, OR.
I have been on the Atkins program since May 5th and although it
was hard at first I am now loving it. I still have my days, but have not cheated. Down 22 pounds from my Dr. scale, my scale is finally reading now starts at 400. I got it at Costco.

My son has shown the most reaction to by new eating, he always
asks, "Mommy, how many carbs are in this" Then he just starts
eating it.

I hope to start a journal soon, as soon as I figure it out.

Hope to hear from you.

Susie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:53

It is good to re-read the posting - I hope all of you are having a great day!!! the sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and i am doing just fine.

Susie - I noticed you did not have a journal, so i will answer your post here - WOW, you are doing great! Your son sounds like a big help, how old is he? I am glad you got such a good scale, mine was just great before my back injury, then i put on another 100 pounds. Hey, we are neighbors, I live in Arlington, just north of Everett. Also, we started about the same time on this big adventure... you are doing the Atkins and I am doing the slower weight loss diet called Carbs Addiction Diet - CAD. Thanks for posting!

Oh, KRJKRJ, I got hold of the Curves around here, and boy it did not fit into my budget (i'm on disability), but it really sounded neat!!!

MisterE...ummmm i wonder what that E stands for... Ed, Eager, Eggs, Ears, Excited, yes.. you keep us guessing!!!

Leasmom, how are you doing these days???

Ok, just wanted ALL of you to know I was thinking of you today and hoping al is going well for you.

Take good care of yourself,
Pam
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:23

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default 200+ lbs. to loose

UNIQUESOUL- had no idea that Curves was expensive. I won't bother to go in. I am on disability too. The check just goes so far.