Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:09

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%
Question Enough Carbs

Okay guys, I am have a heck of a time getting enough carbs in. Today, I only hit 5 carbs. I am eating plenty of food. So, no problems there. I think my biggest problem is that I like very limited vegetables.

Any suggestions for me while I am still on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

how about stir frying your meat with onions or make a meatloaf with mushrooms or a side salad, i am the same as you that i dont like many veggies so i mostly have things like mushrooms and onions and the occasional side salad
hope this is helpful !
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:17

I am just wondering. I love green beans and I can probably work onions into it somehow. Mushrooms, I have never liked for some reason. Now Green Beans and onions are on the "other vegetable" list where it says you can add one cup if you have only eaten two cups of the other salad stuff. Is this because of the high carbs or because of the glycemic index? Same question on the green beans
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:19

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default A suggestion

Yeap, you are right. Need some more vegetables than that. Salad vegetables are recommended for induction. So, add a salad with full-fat dressing maybe some olives and pepperoni slices as well. Blue Cheese is my favorite, just don't forget to add the carb count.

A couple of celery stalks will help you add up to that carb limit as well.

BTW, are you sure you weren't hungry on 1500 calories? I make sure I eat at least 2000, sometimes more, but never really less.

You need some of that good fiber in vegetables, and Atkins does requires 3 cups of salad per day for that reason. If you have trouble, make sure you get the fiber one way or another (read supplements here).

Good luck Rick,

wsgts
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:21

I really wasn't hungry. I am used to eating around 1,000 (which is why I have the weight problem because my body was in a starvation mode). So, I am actually almost too full. But, I will get it there eventually LOL
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My carbs are usualy low as well, around 15. Wha tI found really helps is being creative with the salad. I hate iceberg lettace, and for years thought I hated salad. I tried "Spring Mix" from Dole, it has all veggies ok on induction.

I then add a hardboiled egg, some bacon crumbled, ham or other meat cubed if I want it to make it a more filling meal. Also altely I've started adding thinly sliced Jimica, slicing with a potatoe pealer, some avacado, feta crumbled, or what ever else is in the house.

I have the dressing on the side because when I poor it on I find you don't get any with most bites, then the bottom where all the goodies are becomes a yucky puddle.

Also add veggies into your cooking. Spinich can be added to eggs, chicken, and almost every thing else. I tried tuna salad served in 1/4 avacado from the fat fast and loved it. Cauliflower can be used as a mock posta texture, like in a mac and cheese (recipe on Atkins site).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:22

Stats: 252/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

you can have one cup of the green bean like you said if you dont have more than 2 cups of the others. i think its cause of the sugar (not sure) also i would use pickles on induction and olives are allowed no more than 20.
if you go to atkinscenter.com they is a whole bunch of information there.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:07

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

Im glad I saw this thread im on day one of induction and If only managed to take in 11 carbs today, and I had my 3 cups of veggies.. I hope thats enough IM gonna push to get more towards 20 each day, or is 11 okay?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Couple of suggestions

So... what kind of veggies do you like?

Things like broccoli, cauliflower or zucchini are great topped with cheese and baked until the cheese bubbles. (Careful with the zucchini, it is full of water. I always use a broiler pan when baking it.) Or steamed with butter. Or you could make a cheese sauce by stirring a little cream and melted cheese together.

A good "sandwich" is alfalfa sprouts, tomato, & avocado with mayo wrapped in lettuce leaves.

I cut up green pepper in good-sized chunks and use them in place of chips to make nachos. You'd be surprised how much meat & cheese you can pile on them!

How about shish kebobs? Skewer chunks of your favorite meat, seasoned just the way you like it with veggies in between each chunk. Put under the broiler or on the grill.

Think of your favorite sandwich and instead of using bread to keep everything together, toss the ingredients in a bowl for a meal.

I think you will find that you will enjoy vegetables more once you begin eating them.

Hope this helps a bit.

ljm
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:04

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

wow those are some tasty sounding ideas =)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:49

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Do you like peppers? I find that a good sweet red pepper is almost like candy to me. And they're pretty carby so I avoid them for the most part. If you could develop a liking for them, that might help you?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:07

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I have a hard time with veggies, too, Rick. I rarely get in more then 8-10 carbs a day and some days not even that. I try to eat at least some lettuce and cucumbers several times a week or a salad from time to time, but have to push myself to do that, so I rarely am getting enough veggies. I eat as much as I can and then don't worry about it. While I think veggies are VERY important overall to ones health and wellbeing, I have committed to doing the best I can and then letting it go and not obsessing over it. Hasn't hurt my weight loss so far, but then again...who knows? I may have lost even more had I been able to get in all the recommended vegetables every day.

L
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Rick!

I have lost 12 pounds in 13 days now.
My goal weight is 225 pounds because I look and feel great at that weight.

In the pic I use on this page, I am 310 pounds (Like I look right now) and that pic was taken about a month ago. (Most people see me and think I am only 250...so I suppose I hide it well!)

I eat 2250 calories a day...its hard to do now...but I force it.

I keep my fat between 68% and 72% on fitday

I eat ONE cup from the salad list and TWO cups from the "other list". I know this is "backwards"...but it is obviously working. This allows MORE FIBER for me...and still keeps carbs at under NET 20g for the day. Most days my carbs are around 30 with NET at 18 or so...the balance being my fiber.

That "other" veggie list is where the "good" veggies are, for me. I am still in "deep ketosis"...no problem...and I have no "bathroom" problems, because my fiber is up around 12-15 most days.

Hope this helps Rick...
Best to you and Jen;
Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 06:19.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:30

Thanks everyone! I do like peppers cooked in stuff. Tonight, I am going to make some meatloaf with celery, green peppers, and onions in it. It brought my calories up to 2580 and my carbs up to 16. So, that is pretty cool.

I am going to try some of the ideas mentioned.

As far as vegetables I like

Cucumbers
Celery (if mixed in something else. I don't like creme cheese or sour cream or anything else. Just peanut butter which I can't eat LOL)
Green Beans
Peppers (if cooked in something else)
Chives
Parsley

I know I am going to need to expand. So, I may have to try
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:02

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

I didn't care much for many veggies when I was younger, but I discovered years ago the reason was because I was brought up on overcooked veggies. My mom would always let the brocolli boil for 10-15 minutes. Yuk!

For things like brocolli, cauliflower, or grean beans, if you first boil the water, then throw in the veggies -- wait until the water reaches a boil again, <u>and then count to ten</u> (this part is critical, seriously ), you'll get delicous vegetables. They'll still have all (or most) of their nutrients, and won't taste putrid or bitter.

You can try shredding some cheddar over the brocolli or cauliflower when still hot so the cheese melts, or some grated parmesan (especially for the cauliflower, not so good on brocolli I find). Green beans are delicous in butter with a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

My personal favorite is brocolli stalks. Just skin the stocks, and dice into 1 inch long chunks, boil with the other veggies as described above, and you get tasty, crunchy, morsals -- also good in butter and lemon.