Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default confused about sugar

I'm in week 4, but still following induction mostly, except with a few nuts and a glass of wine once/week.

I was wondering if something that has added sugar, like a salad dressing, worcestershire sauce, etc or something else, is OUT, or if we just count those carbs in for the day?

The link to my journal is:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...wner=saltnpeppa

I would like any feedback if I'm doing anything wrong. lost 15 pounds since May 6 when I started.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:15

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I never worried about it unless its excessive. The salad dressing I always use has 3 carbs per 2 T and 3 sugars.....havent had a problem!!!
Vicky
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Saltnpeppa!

Technically, while in induction phase...the wine and nuts are OUT. But if it is working for you then Great!

The sugar can mess you up...knock you from Ketosis...and cause those carb cravings to return...so be CAREFUL with it. Some people can get away with it...but some cannot.

You really should wait untill you go to the later-phases beforeadding in different foods, and then follow the carb-ladder (as stated in Dr Atkins Book DANDR)...

Best wishes and good luck!
Jake
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:28

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Well just my opinion but you should stay away from things that have added suger. Its not just carbs you want to stay away from, but sugar as well. It can kick you out of Ketosis and or stall your weight loss.
There are so many sugar free products available why risk it.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 185/136/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 109%

Sugar is the devil, but you can't be holy all the time. I only eat foods that have 1-2 carbs of sugar /serving (assuming that it's a large enough serving). Also, as some of my cookbooks suggest, don't buy/eat anything that lists sugar as one of the top 5 ingrediants. Not fullproof but hey, it's pretty close. Check out other ways to make your dressing. This is one of those little things that are really annoying as you're "cheating" just due to a little dressing. I've found recipes for nearly all types of dressings. Might as well make a mass quanitity. Remember that everyone is different too. Some folks can have more sugar/carbs a day than others. Do what you will but make a note somewhere to change if you're having probs.

Sox
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:47

BF:

thanks for the replies.
I've finished my 2 week intro "induction" but am still pretty mcuh following that plan.
I do without sugar when at home, but was wondering how vigilent I need to be when eating out - either a restaurant or someone's house. My friends are very supportive, but if once in a while a bit of sugar slips in, I was wondering how much of a frenzy to get into about it

I read the labels on things and have stayed away from things that have added sugar, but generally wasn't sure if they were allowed if I was still in the 20-25 carbs/day.

I guess the answer is try not to have those things, but if it's only a little, don't get worked up about it.

I haven't lost anything in about 10 days, so I know I can't whine yet, but it's crummy.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:04

BF:

the other thing I was thinking about was sugar in things like sausage. I know some people make their own, but I am not that type of person.

if the store bought sausage has sugar, is it out? i guess if it's 1-5 on the ingredient list..
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can find sausage w/ no sugar. Shopping just seems to take longer when you read everything.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:08
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Technically, while in induction phase...the wine and nuts are OUT. But if it is working for you then Great!

According to Atkins, after the initial 2 weeks of Induction, nuts can be introduced back into the diet if one continues to stay at Induction level carbs.

As for the sugar question, something like Worchestershire sauce is probably harmless and, in fact, Dr. Atkins uses it in Induction friendly recipes. The amount is so small, it's negligable.

Like you say, don't worry about the small stuff. You can only control so much.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 20:13.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If the store that you buy groceries from has a fresh meat counter, check to see what's in their sausages. Often fresh sausages don't have nitrates, sugars and extra fillers in them. Ditto if you happen to have an old-fashioned butcher nearby. Most stores won't mind you asking what's in their products and probably get asked more than you would think due to more and more people developing food allergies.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:11

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I know it's hard when the weight loss stops, but it will start again, just stick to the plan. Have a look at my records below.
Good Luck Kathy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:59

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I have seen several people on the boards say you can get nitrate free uncured meats from the butcher at the grocery store. I haev been looking and I can't find any. So, would I have to ask them to bring it to me from the back?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 23:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

i live in a small town and had a heck of a tiem finding nitrate free things. The only thing I found was nitrate free hotdogs at a small health food store here. It has alot of Atkins and Keto products, so I check in there regularly. For the other things I just eat plain because of lack of choice.

I made the coment to one lady in the supermarket about looking for nitrate free, she gave me an odd look and said your not from around here are you? Turns out she is a Susan Summers dieter and they only eat whole fresh foods, no processed ones at all :P