Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/190/115
BF:39%/33%/15%
Progress: 35%
Default Getting Support and Reading the Book

I know that these Bulletin Boards are for "Support" while adapting to this WOL. However, some of the questions are so basic and you can tell that some members have not read the book or been to the www.atkinscenter.com website.

It really upsets me that people really expect the "Total Support" package while saying they are doing Atkins but haven't done the research on what they should be doing. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Some of the questions that people ask are so basic, Like when can I have strawberries?

If you think I am bad about what I said, you should go to some of the other BB's. They will tell you the page # and tell you to go re-read it.

When my doctor told me to try Atkins, he told me to research it beforehand, so that I would exactly what to do. I read the book and researched the Atkins website, joined these BB and then started this WOL.

A little common sense goes a long way!!! You wouldn't operate machinery without knowing how to do it, why would you attempt to do this without fully knowing how to do it......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:59
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

What about blueberries?

I understand your rant. Sometimes I think it is also a matter of wanting an answer quickly. I have read the book, there are things I have forgotten. It is simply easier to ask the forum then to leave work and find my Atkins book and look it up.

-devil's advocate
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:07
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

You make excellent points of researching the WOE beforehand. I agree with you that quite a few questions are basic. I think though that it's ok to respond to those questions by referencing the Atkins website or the book while being patient and understanding.

They are embarking on a new way of thinking and eating, and will not always remember everything they read, and sometimes all they need is that supportive answer from someone to keep them on track. If you get frustrated with those basic questions being asked and re-asked (occasionally, I get frustrated and think "didn't they read the book?"), ignore those particular posts.

We're all here trying to achieve the same goal, and should therefore aim to encourage others with our experience.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Lean Lioness...

You make a good point and as you read more posts here on the forum, I think you'll see quite a few responses that include encouragment to read the book for whichever plan the person being responded to has chosen, especially when their profiles indicate that they have not read any books about low carbing.
Yes, you are bound to see posts from people who have jumped into low carbing without having read anything and using information that they got from the friend of a friend which is often inaccurate or incomplete.
But keep in mind that not everyone reads well or has a good memory or comprehension of what they have read.
Whether exasperated or not, it's always best to keep your answer kind and courteous....and a gentle reminder to read the book is usually not out of line.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:03

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I agree. I tell people that I researched this diet for a few years before I even embarked on induction. I was scared, man. So when I did start, I pretty much knew what I was doing and I discussed it with my family. But, I used the Atkinscenter website primarily, I have yet to purchase a book.It is funny to hear my own kids scold me by saying, "Mom, you can't have that ." I still make mistakes on it even after the research.

Talk again Later,
Black57
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 16:08

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Lean , I have not seen any of your posts until today and I have seen 2 separate posts in which you a really rude to several people. When I first found this website , I had not gotten the book yet. I wasn't even sure that I wanted to do Atkins, but the more I read posts and asked questions myself ,I found that I wanted to try it. So, I began without the book , made a few mistakes ,bought the book , read half the book and I still may have questions that may sound dumb, but that's what this website is for. No question is a dumb question. If any other new people come to this website , I , too , will encourage them and help them out if I am able. There are a lot of people that come here and are not sure if they want to do Atkins . If you do not like the questions someone posts , go to the next one and keep it to yourself..
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:27

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I don't understand why this topic upsets you so much. If you don't want to answer basic questions, then move on to the next post. Perhaps the person is confused about the whole plan, or needs clarification, even on basic points. Perhaps the person is just looking into doing Atkins and hasn't yet gotten the book, or maybe that book is on order from Amazon and hasn't come in yet. Whatever the reason...as long as the owners/moderators of this forum don't have a problem with what is being posted...I personally believe it is presumptuous of you to make three or four posts and then start blasting away at others for questions that you do not believe should be asked.

I suspect that the same questions that are repeated over and over and people who have been here for a while get tired of it...but I also suspect that those people just don't respond and move on to threads that do interest them. We all started somewhere....

Just my two cents...
L

P.S. What you said about other BB's is exactly why I post HERE and not there. This is NOT the other BB's that you have been hanging out at and there are some super nice people here that have a lot of patience for newbies.

Last edited by whyspers : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 17:28.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:50

Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%

I use to work Labor and Delivery. Without a doubt the ladies who had taken some kind of a Birthing Class had a much easier time than those who did not. However we would never turn away someone in labor just because she had not done her homework first.
Of course it's always best to be as informed on any life change that you are planing. Who are we to judge how someone else is trying to obtain their knowledge. At least they are here and they are learning.
I guess I'm just a little old fashion, I believe if you can't say something nice...don't say anything at all.
I just hope that there is not anyone out there who reads this tread and is then too embarrassed to asked their simple question.
The only dumb question is the one Not asked.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:58

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well lets see....I could buy the book or get my daughter much needed shoes....which do you think I bought? The internet is like a huge library and I see no point in having to buy the book when all the info is at my fingertips. Bottom line, can't afford the books but I am intelligent enough to research and ask questions. Thankfully there are good people who help me figure it all out.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:08

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'll tell you what, LeanLiones, I have seen several of your posts today, and if I was a newbie to this forum, you probably would have scared me away with your preaching.

Tone it down a bit, and if it angers you that much, skip it and post to some other thread where you can say something nice or helpful.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Guys...

As a teacher I can tell you that very often students will ask questions that they actually know (or know where to get) the answers to. The motivation behind asking the question may be more complex than just getting an answer. Often, it may just be a need for reassurance or to connect with others in the room in a discussion on a particular point. Regardless, unless the student is obviously attempting to disrupt the class or deviate too far from the lesson, it is a poor educator who doesn't acknowledge the student's inquiry or concern.

In a perfect world, all students would aquaint themselves with the course materials before a lesson, all students would listen attentively and all students would learn in exactly the same way (preferably the teacher's way!) Of course this is not reality and in every learning situation people have thier own ways of absorbing or "getting" data. Reading a passage in a book may not register or have as much impact to an inductive learner than asking a person who has practiced and experienced a certian method or concept. For others, the written word is definative and discussion is redundant.
I think we can lend support here to all kinds of learners just trying to work through all the information on this WOE/ nutritional paradigm shift.

Cheers,
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya All!

Some valid points made in the origional post...however...we are all "new" at times and sometimes forget what we have read...or started after reading the website and not the book...etc...etc..

It is very nice of all the folk's here to take (give) their time to help the others who may be new and unknowing of all the in's and out's of lo-carbing.

I learn new things here every day. I am amazed at all the wonderful folk's who have come up with some very brilliant idea's about the WOE....idea's that could not be found in a book anywhere.

I believe it is our honor to help those with questions...even if they could not read the book for whatever reason...and there could be MANY reasons that an individual did not read the book first.

Just my 2g Carb's worth;
Jake
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:30
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

When I first started Atkins, I perused several BBs before choosing this one. I saw rude responses to newbies on other BBs and this one was just so friendly and helpful, hence why I am here. We are all learning together. I have the book, but there are times when I may be at work and need an answer quickly, so I'll post the question here. Early on, one person was rude to me on this BB, and I put her in her place quickly. We are all striving for the same goal and are here to share information, support and encouragement.

Last edited by Zora : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 18:35.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:34

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 244/216/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have never been on a board where you could be so honest and no one jumped down your throat no matter if what you said seemed dumb or whatever. I hope and believe that this forum will continue to stay that way.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:46

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

This board has a lot of nice caring people who dont mind answering the newbies questions. When we all started out we all had questions even though we read the book. I still have questions that may sound dumb. I read the book 2 times and I flip threw it often. But if I forgotten somethings and want to make sure I know what I am doing is correct I will ask on the board for a fast response.