Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default ravenous

I have a question for you veteran low carbers.
I am into my third week and I am STARVING! I just can't seem to get enough to eat. I am staying within my carb grams but I am eating truckloads of food.
Is this normal?
Will it pass?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:41

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Kacey... How many calories are you eating? Why don't you post a couple of days' menus here so we can help you maybe that way.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:49
Registered Member

Default I would be embarassed

Oh my! I am eating so much that I would be embarassed! I bet I am eating in excess of 2000 to 2500 cals...

I will have to find the nerve to post my food intake...

but I love the offer...

hmmmmmmmmmmm
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/148/130 Female 5.00
BF:31% by the bmi
Progress: 60%

hi
please dont be ashamed to post what you eat because ill bet you eat the same things we all do. i was a little embarrassed too at first. i have not posted my menu in a while but you can go to my journal and see what i eat. surely it isnt as bad as mine. hahahha
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:48
Registered Member

Default part 2 of my neurosis!

Oh you all are so supportive!
Part one of my "shy about posting daily menu" neurosis is that I am truly amazed at the quantity and amount of food that I am eating. As a "reformed" calorie counter it is amazing to find myself standing at the kitchen counter happily slicing off pieces of cheese and popping them in my mouth one after the other! Or putting on the amount of blue cheese or olive oil dressing that tastes good (a lot) not one teeny teaspoon. Or sauteing everything in butter...and eating as much as I want. I know that low carb (Atkins/SS) says that I can do this but...

Part two is I am afraid that if I look at everyone else's menu that I will find I am so far off the mark.

And now it is clear...yup I am the winner and champion for the newbie kook, nut burger award! (low carb of course)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hungry is good

I mean, listen to your body. If you're hungry, eat. When you've had enough, stop. When you're hungry again, eat.

Funny how my cat knows how to do this.

Looks like you're losing weight, so something's working. And from your stats, (inferring wildly here), you might have a history of other, restrictive diet programs? That maybe you really need a LOT of protein to build back up some body tissues that have been deprived for a while? (This is a blind guess--please don't take offense if I'm off base.)

I tried to follow Lucy Beale's program for a while--The Idiot's Guide to Losing Weight. She snuggles up next to LC but doesn't cross over, and didn't give me enough of a nudge to understand my problem. But her schtick is to "Eat 0-5" and stop, and if you never get past 5, you'll lose weight to your healthy level.

I couldn't follow her program because any carbs, almost, set up cravings that make me eat regardless of real hunger, but I think her logic is sound and it works for me now that I'm on this side of the LC line. So if you're hungry, eat. And if you stall, ask if you are eating out of hunger, or anger, lonely, tired*... and work on that. But if it's real hunger, eat.

*This is turning out to be my kicker. Used to eat to punch myself awake. With carbs, it works. With protein/fat, there's no "jolt" at all. One of these days, I'm going to quit trying.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Default thanks

thanks so much for the reply!
And you are right! I ahve done it all...low cal, low low cal, vegan and just about everything else too and my body is probably fed up (heheh) with all that and wants to fed!

And interestingly, today I am not hungry at all!