Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: The ONE thing you find MOST challenging about this WOE?
Commitment to exercise 77 26.46%
Understanding all the do's and don'ts 19 6.53%
Drinking required level of water 35 12.03%
Dinners/socializing and staying on WOE outside my home 58 19.93%
Limited Beer/Alcoholic Beverages 27 9.28%
Eating enough carbs/calories 10 3.44%
Unable to resist cheating/self discipline inside my home 21 7.22%
I'm not challenged by any one thing, overall happy with the WOE 44 15.12%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Default The ONE thing I find MOST challenging about this WOE.

I realize I will have missed some but invite you to add your challenges below
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 01:51

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am very happy with low carbing!! My only difficulty is the added grocery costs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:07
Registered Member

Stats: 265/245/180 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally posted by justcindy
I am very happy with low carbing!! My only difficulty is the added grocery costs.

Ditto. Junky carb food like pasta is so cheap!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:41
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I am terrible about getting enough just plain water. Working on it, though.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's so funny how sometimes we think that everyone would think like us. I thought so many people would choose exercise, and I have NO problem eating out, in fact I prefer it, because I get tired of the foods at home. My eyes almost popped out!!! I couldn't believe more people chose that than exercise.

LOL
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:15

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

It doesn't bother me at all (low carbing) .I would rather eat this way now. My mother in law had a store bought pie ,last night , and all I could think about was the transfats in it. I remembered hearing on the news a few weeks ago about a group sueing Kraft because Oreos had trans fats (hydrdogenated oil) in them and I looked it up on the internet . They dropped their lawsuit once they knew word got out . It wasn't their intention to get money ,just to get it into the media . I really never knew how bad they were and when you look at the packages it's in everything.. I could only find one bread without it and one peanut butter.Its in margarine,shake and bake , Everything... It raises your bad cholesterol and lowers your good( promoting heart disease) . http://blueprint.bluecrossmn.com/topic/transfats Wasn't margarine made because butter was bad for cholesterol. Then there are all kinds of other food additives that I would rather stay away from ,I dont want to give my kids any of these. This is a link to a list of food additives to avoid and why.......http://www.cspinet.org/reports/food.htm Potassium bromate was another ,its a dough conditioner and it was very hard to find a bread or dough without it .It is banned in every country ,but the U.S. and Japan. The only one I found that had neither potassium bromate or trans fat was one kind of Pepperidge Farm bread. So, to me it makes me sick thinking about eating that stuff. My DH even said he is thinking twice about eating these chemicals and he is more aware now of what he will eat. Sorry for the long one... Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:22
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

The most challenging thing is to understand lowcarbing is for life.

Alina
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 05:59

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default alina, i agree

i think alina has it hit on the nose. it is hard to think of this as forever. for me it is the thought of socializing and traveling and not having what i previously thought as delights and treats...especially when i am in other countries.
there are ethnic foods that i don't think can be adapted... and i will just have to give them up.

i suppose i will feel differently once i have the body i always wanted.

because i am still on induction, i try not to think of sweets much, but i know i will have to learn how to bake differently and will learn how to make low carb items. a month now and i am still struggle with sweets.... i use to think i was just a bread freak... but i see now how addicted i was to sugar. while on induction, it is hard to look at the chocolate cake pictured on the atkins home page....argh!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:02
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Commitment to my workouts.

Peace
red
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hmmm....

I would say that all LIFE depends on one thing....going to the bathroom COMFORTABLY.

and so with this in mind I will say that keeping the water intake and fiber levels UP is the most crucial for me...and thus balanceing the carbs to get the fiber and still net-out under 20 is "tough"...but can be done. Just takes alot of balancing on your fitday and juggling of the foods...and especially hard is getting VARIETY of foods, while accomplishing this.

12 pounds in 13 days...so far so good...and plan on remaining in induction for several months at least.

I find I can deal with ANYTHING...so long as I can go to the bathroom! LOL!

My father (When he was alive) always said the "Butt was the boss"! (Only he said it differently"...LOL!

Best to all;
Jake
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:28

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Since I've been eating LC for the last 20 months, I have to say that it's become a WOL rather than a WOE for me. Really there is little challenge for me at this point in time as far as eating on plan goes. I'm pretty settled in and comfortable with the food I eat and the working out I do.

Marlaine
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 335/282/150 Female 64 inches
BF:47%
Progress: 29%

At first, bread was my nemesis. Then it was sweets. It still is sweets, and probably always will be, but that is life. I love the things this WOL does for me, especially healing my metabolism. I intend on living this way forever, but there has been and will be times when I take a day to eat high carb foods. I plan those days carefully, and go right back to the WOL after. That has not happened as often since going onto OWL-having some fruit helps tremendously! It is an educated decision that I make that is right for me. I know that means weight loss is much slower, however, it took me 30 years to get this way, and I don't expect it to change overnight. That is why it is a WOL, not just a diet.

Thanks for reading.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 07:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%
Default allatonce

My biggest challenge is foregoing my junk food(applefritters)54 to 58 carbs in each.Or a whole apple pie..Thats it..Thanks
Dont want to get mushy but you guys are wonderful...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Actually my only problem is my family. They are pretty much eating what I eat but sometimes I feel like they think that they are neglected. I gave my husband a bread machine for Xmas and I don't eat any of the bread that he makes.

The grocery bills aren't really any higher because I no longer buy oreo cookies, chips, corn or potatoes.

Black57
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 08:14

Stats: 157/141/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 59%

My challenge is that I love to bake! Bread, especially, and I have this beautiful, professional level Kitchen Aid sitting on my counter unused. I miss my Sunday afternoon adventures in excruciatingly difficult recipes! I find it relaxing and fun and I miss this the most (and of course, snarfing down the bread when it comes out of the oven!).
I'm happy to be getting over my sugar addiction- hoping the weight will continue to come off (I'm stalled right now, and impatient), and that will be its own reward. Perhaps I'll learn to bake with different kinds of flours? Anybody done this?