Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/163/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Having A Rough Day....

Hi! I am on Day 11 of induction and up until today, everything was fine. This morning I woke up and thought "Oh no, not another egg!" And after that, the day hasn't improved. I did eat a 2 egg omlette with cheese and mushrooms... but I am getting sick of eating meat and salad.....

How have you guys dealt with feelings like that? Yesterday was fine, but today I am craving something sweet for the first time. I want to stay on induction for another two weeks but maybe I should start introducing some berries in my diet after 14 - maybe it would take the edge off??

Plus, we are going to East Side Marios for supper - is the salad a legal food there does anyone know?? Thanks for being here.

Leanne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:12

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Sorry to hear you're having a bad day .

The day is nearly finished here - strange thought. Try something other than eggs for breakfast. You are not limited to typical breakfast things on this woe - I sometimes have tuna and salad smothered in mayo.

Something sweet - two choices, either cave in and have something legal like sugar free jelly (jello) or cream with sweetener in it or bear it - the cravings go away in time.

You can introduce some berries after day 14 if you want - just count the carbs and limit the amounts. A few chopped strawberries with sweetener stirred into a pot of natural yogurt might be another interesting breakfast for you .

Sorry, but living in the ex USSR I have no idea what 'East Side Marios' is - but I can tell you all about State run canteens .

With salads in general, watch out for the dressings.

I sometimes have an all fish day to break the meat thing. I've also done vegitarian days, especially when I've have vegitarians dinner guests - it is possible - it gives you a challenge and a break from meat.

Cheer up

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:16

Stats: 170/163/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

Is sugar free Jello legal during Induction?? Thanks so much.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:28

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I believe that according to the Atkins book it is. Many people think you should stay away from it however fore two reasons:

1. It is sweet and you should be losing the taste for sweet things.
2. It have some nasty sweeteners in it.

Personally, it was all that kept me sane during induction (but my view is very non p.c. .

Robert
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:22

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

We all have these bad days from time to time. There are some days when I feel like I couldn't stomach even one more salad. These are the days that I usually have Atkins pancakes for lunch. LOL. Ok, so it sounds like a terrible lunch, but I just double up on the veggies for dinner and it evens out. Also, it keeps me from going all out and cheating or possibly pulling my hair out by the roots.

~Angi~
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:29

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

For a change for breakfast, have celery with cheese on it, 1/2 avocado. sometimes I'll have that then I can face eggs later on, for lunch if I need to.

Good Luck, Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:33

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

AS for as I know, Jell-O is allowed. In the first Edition of DANDR, it has Jello listed as a desert on the induction menus. I don't remember seeing it in the new one, even though it probably is. However, you will probably make your own. The other already prepared Jello has some of the bad artificial sugar.

Here is the Recipe

2 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
1 packet Kool-Aid flavoring (unsweetened)
8-10 packets (16-20 teaspoons granulated) Splenda to taste
One cup hot water
One cup cold water

Follow the basic gelatin recipe on the box. You can use a variety of flavors because of the amount of Kool-Aid flavors.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:36

Stats: 161/152/130
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default If you absolutely have to have something chocolatey...

If you have fierce chocolate cravings (as I do), here is a wonderful treat to have occasionally:

Whip together with mixer:
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbl cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tbl Splenda

According to FitDay:
Carbs: 4
Protein: 2
Fat: 12
Calories: 115

Good luck!
Kelly
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

Sorry, RickinTN, your Jello recipe is not low carb.

The 20 teaspoons of Splenda contain 10 grams of carbs:

http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?i...abetes/main.inc

Last edited by caveman : Sun, Jun-01-03 at 17:51.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Atkins makes a variety of foods like chocolate bars with only 2 grams of carbs. They also make a breakfast bar for variety. I also have used their shake mix for breakfast. Their stuf is a little pricey but real nice for a change of pace.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 19:41

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally posted by caveman
Sorry, RickinTN, your Jello recipe is not low carb.

The 20 teaspoons of Splenda contain 10 grams of carbs:

http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?i...abetes/main.inc

When I make it, I use 8 packets which is only 8 carbs. When this is divided into four servings, that is only two carbs each. The Splenda carbs are allowed on the induction as long as you don't forget to put them into your carb count
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 06:28

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Great recipe, Rick! Caveman...unless you eat the WHOLE thing at once instead of breaking it into individual servings, the carb count isn't bad at all...about what a serving of SF chocolate is....or an Atkins Advantage bar or shake.

My hubby loves jello, and I've been meaning to try this recipe for him. Might do it tonight

L
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:02

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink Daisyduke

Hi DD, I know what you mean about being sick of eggs for breakfast. I found that Atkins has a breakfast pancake mix and other items that will give us a break. I also went to the forum jump and scanned down until I found breakfast. Many people have wonderful food recipes that I am sure will help you out. Hang in there one day at a time- don't worry about tomorrow and God Bless!!Aleka
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:23

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

sugar free jello is the only thing that kept me alive durring my occasional cravings last time I did atkins... I love it
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 23:22

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile Daisyduke

I like sugar free jello too but Atkins has a recipe book out ---actually two books that have a lot of good recipes. Have you tried the pork skins yet?? The smell almosts gags me but you can crush them up with a rolling pin and make a mock french toast. The recipe is as follows-- I got it off of one of the sites--- 2 eggs---1/4 cup heavy whipping cream----3 packages of splenda ----Cinnamon to taste and 1/2 bag of a 3 oz. bag of pork skins. 1) mix eggs, cream,sweetner and cinnamon together. 2) Add crushed pork skins. 3) allow to soak until mixture looks thick and goopy (3-5min.) 4) Fry like a pancake in butter until browned--flip over. Cook till as done as you would french toast.---Serve with sugar free--Low carb syrup and butter .
Home made syrup-------Cream butter until soft or melt in pan or microwave. Add maple extract and sweeten to taste with splenda . Hope this helps you out . I added extra cinnamon to make sure I didn't taste the pigskins and believe it or not it really did taste pretty good. Hope this helps.. Aleka