Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Starving on CAD - Help

I am very hungry on CAD, all except my RM. I want to stay on CAD and make it part of my life....... but

Here's why and do you have any ideas what I should do.

I wake up at 4:30 am (I work and have a child) so by the time I am ready, getting her ready, making lunch, driving her to day care and then myself to work its 7:30 - 8:00 am. I sip on a cup of coffee but I'm starving. I usually eat breakfast around 9 am. Breakfast is for example 2 eggs and a few pieces of turkey bacon. Then at lunch 12:00 pm I have a small salad w/either tuna, ckn or turkey in it... blue cheese dressing. I am careful of the portions like the book says. My dinner isn't until 6 pm that night and by that time I am ready to suck up anything that gets in my way. CAD says NO snacking but dang.... I'm sooooooooo hungry. I do drink alot of water and that helps a teensy bit.

So you see its a very long day for me, any suggestions.

Ps..... I was really bad this past week but I'm trying to start over again today.

HELP !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 12:28

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

can you eat lunch an hr later?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:03

BF:

Not really, my lunch is scheduled from 11:30 am - 12:30 pm (union rules, even though I'm not union...go figure?)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: CAD-Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi Leenie,
Eek, I think you're waiting too long to eat between waking up and getting to work - that's 4.5 hours of being active on an empty stomach! No wonder you're starving by 9am. Perhaps you should eat breakfast at 6:30am (see the recipes section for quick, grabable ideas), lunch at 11:30, an afternoon snack (just a small one, celery and cheese, perhaps) at 4 or so and then you can have dinner later without that starving, eat everything (esp carbs) feeling.

You might want to look at the Schwarzbein Principle plan, which allows carbs to be stretched across 5 meals/snacks throughout the day. I did CAD for a long time but with higher carb cms than normal and realized not long ago that I'd actually be following Schwarzbein without knowing it... And, believe me, I'm a carb addict too. Yet Schwarzbein works for me, even though I do in in a CADish way, that is, I don't usually have snacks (maybe one in afternoon if I've been really active) and have been able to manage eating every 4.5 - 5 hours without feeling hungry in between. If I do feel hungry (usually false hunger), I drink water or tea and feel better.

I hope you find a plan that works for you
Robyn
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:30

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I don't know enough about CAD, so this might not apply, but looking at your diet from an Atkins / PP point of view, there's not a lot of fat in it - when I get hungry I eat more fat and that sorts things out. But I'd echo the business about eating breakfast earlier. What about a breakfast shake, ready made the night before in the fridge, so you can just drink it down and go?
I've just switched to this and its really streamlined my morning, compared with making breakfast, wich is what I was doing before.

Anyway - hope some of this helps, Jay
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:41
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You can eat 4 times a day, so you can have a snack. You are definitely going too long without eating between lunch and dinner. Have a protein snack in the afternoon if you need it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 17:05

Plan: CAD
Stats: 177/164/160 Female 5'6"
BF:34.3/
Progress: 76%

I have the same exact schedule, it is tough. I too find myself hungry between meals. I am on my second week now and find the hunger is less between meals now. I try to divert myself when I start getting hungry. Today I was hungry by 3. I made it until 5:00 but pigged out on my RM! Keep trying, I hear the hungry feeling bretween meals does get better (I hope so!) and enjoy your RM.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:46

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172/156/125
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'm new here, but not new to low carbing. Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents.

I found that when I started CAD, I needed a snack during the day. Over time I did find that need dissapeared. In fact I found I sometimes didn't need a CM breakfast. So I would suggest at first getting a snack in and see if that helps with the hunger. I too echo the need to get a little more fat in. Also, I eat enough at my CM's to fill me - I don't do portion control. Are you full after your CM's?

BTW, I do a CAD with CALP options. I try to eat a well balanced RM and do have snacks if I'm hungry.

I'm just returning from trying the Zone - unfortunately it didn't work well for me. I have found that CAD works the best of all the low carb type diets..so I started back yesterday.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 06:36

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default This helps me

Hi, when I have my eggs , I add cheese to them . This seems to stick to my ribs longer. Also , one of the options listed in the book is GTF.This helps me but check with doctor to be sure okay for you. wawtigress
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:58

BF:

Thanks so much for the advice.... I was seriously thinking about doing Atkins again.

It seems as though I have NO control over dinner and eat everything and anything I can. I've lost no weight for 2 weeks now and I should because I'm quite heavy 241 lbs. Sigh ~
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:05

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I think it's pretty common to go a bit overboard on the RM's for a while. Most everyone does. Do you think you can stand to give it a bit more time so you have time to relax with it a bit? Are you gaining? Do you stick to the 60 mins.?

Deb
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet-NO Meat or Poultry
Stats: 208/225/205 Female 66 inches
BF:~40%
Progress: -567%
Default CAD Complementary Meal Intake

Hi Leenie:

I am a new member as well, also this is my first experience with low carb eating. I am reading several books written by Drs. Heller's in hopes of forming good eating habits while achieving my weight loss goals.

Reading on page 131 of "The Carbohydrate Addict's Heart Healthy Program"; Guideline 3: Eat only low carb foods at all other meals and snacks. Explains that the quantity of food during low carbohydrate meals is not limited, as long as you include both high fiber vegetables and protein in equal portions. Half protein and half vegetables.

I hope this is helpful.

gowe
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 06:23

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default Perhaps...

Have you considered moving your reward meal to lunch? This way you could have much more to eat at that time and then feel less hungry during the remainder of the day.

Just a thought.

Jeannie