Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default If you know you should start exercising look here

I am starting a "start exercising challenge" to all those (including myself) who know they should be exercising but haven't gotten off their cushy butts to do it yet! Well now we will, and we'll do it together, and give support and encouragement and share our gasping, aching stories. Nahh, I don't think it will be that bad. We'll start out easy at our own levels, maybe just a walk to a neighbor's, or start taking the stairs at work. Just think of something you can do to make a positive change in your activity level and post about it and encourage others! Hope to see a lot more active people here soon!

Good luck everyone!

<----jumping jacks

Jamian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 05:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%

Great idea jamian,
Count me in I am so lazy and need a kick up the bum to get me motivated. I also need to excersise coz I am hypo and am loosing quite slowly.I promise to do some excersise today if you do. Let me know how you got on.
Hev.
"now where did I put that aerobics tape"
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 05:52

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Default I'll come along!!!

Count me in for the ride -- I mean WALK!!!

I need to get more exercise. I start and then stop. Start, and then stop. It's so hard to make it work with so much else on my schedule.

Hey, does gardening count???? I've got a whole veggie garden and flower garden to plant today. That should work off some calories? What do you think? They're calling for more rain tomorrow, so I have to get it done today while I have nice weather.

Cheer me on!! I'll cheer you too.

Feel free to visit my journal and I'll visit yours. We can keep up on our activies there and be true inspirations to each other (or, at least try.)

Jeannie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 07:25

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I absolutely need motivation to move. With all this extra weight these old joints creak when I push them too much but I will try to get going. I sure think gardening counts, I'll be mowing the lawn today, that's about 1hr of steady walking, (some uphill) I'm counting it. Good luck to all of us.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 17:10

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Thumbs up OK...OK...OK...

First of all I would like to know how you knew about my cushy butt!?!?!?!?

I need to exercise...I know I need to exercise...I hate to exercise..

I keep thinking that I will ease into it...some walking...a sit-up...or two...

I think my biggest problem is that I'm losing without exercising. Even though I know that I would become physically smaller if I put some effort into it, I can't bring myself to do it.

But now I will...starting tomorrow...LOL

OK - I'm going to do a sit-up now...or two.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 21:39

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default ok, fine...

But how about tomarrow? I'm too full to exercise now....... heh heh

I used to exercise for almost 45 mins every day, doing the Firm videos (those aren't easy) then one day I stopped. I thought, "hey! I have tons more time now after work to read the forum!" which kinda defeated the whole purpose of the forum in the first place
I was "firm" and toned and now my arms and legs are flab again. grr..
I wish I could just eat right and exercise really hard one day, then set that on repeat without actually having to go through it again.

so how do you guys deal with exercising in the heat? I'm sitting around in my skivvies too hot to move.. I about died washing the dishes!? Most of us folk here in Seattle don't buy a/c since it's only hot 3 months out of the year.

Tomarrow, I do something.

Sheri
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 23:24

BF:

Hey everybody, reporting in for Day 1 of my journey back to fitness! I have asthma, so it is hard for me to exercise at high intensities, but I have done jogging off and on before. It is easiest on my lungs in doors away from cold or poluted air. But it is warm and nice now in the evenings so I went for a light jog earlier this week , and again tonite. Only about 20 min including 5 min warm up and 5 min warm down, but I want to start out easy so I don't hate it and dread doing it.

Another activity I have been able to do with my asthma is swimming. I did it for 7 years up 'till the end of high school and even helped coach a kids team. I think I'll go to Big 5 Sporting goods and pick up a cap and good goggles and start doing laps at the university pool. Maybe alternate that with the jogging (I hate jogging, but it is the most convinient thing to do).

So Goose-Do your abs hurt yet? They better or I'll go kick your cushy butt myself!

Garriz and Jeannie, yard work is hard work, and a great low impact activity. And it's actually rewarding 'cause you see that you accomplished something. I think that is a great way to go!

How did your aerobics go Hev?

Nice to see you here Sheri. I hate how easy it is to fall off the exercise waggon. Wish your idea about putting your workout on repeat would work, verry interresting thought hehe. But if we did it before we can do it again!

'night everyone.

Jamian
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:33

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Thanks for the invite Jamain !

I got your Pm last night. Yesterday I did both cardio and toning (30 min cardio & 10 min cardio). I woke up so stiff and sore (but in a good way). Today I have a doctors appointment which is a 30 min walk there and back.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 211/199/135
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Bellydancing!

Ok! I've been watching this thread wanting to post....
Here goes

I have been wanting to start an exercise program for the last several weeks and just didn't know where to start. I want to walk. We have a great neighborhood and I think of walking like therapy in a way. I just can't seem to make myself get out there where people can "see" me trying! I know it doesn't make a lot of sense.
So, yesterday I tried to construct a simple routine from what I remember from school PE classes (it's been too long!)
This morning I hit Wally World in search of a video. I found a belly dancing video for fitness. I thought - what better way! Now when I'm fit and trim I can show off what I've learned! Plus I told my hubby he would have to buy me a bellydancing outfit when I reach my goal! Of course he said that would be nooooo problem
So, I'm bellydancing for fitness now and let me tell you.... it's not as easy as it looks!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:42

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Talking Ready...Set...

I managed to aerobically avoid doing my sit-up yesterday, though I did manage to walk for 5 mins to my car today. I will be counting my haircut as the rest of my exercise for today (hey, I had a lot cut off). I need to start off really really slowly and let me tell you, just thinking about the exercise that I'm going to do has made my cushy butt firmer - a little. Getting ready for work now.

I have big plans for tomorrow...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:40

Talking I DID IT!!!!

I put my 50lb 4 1/2 year old in the jogger stroller and walked all the way to the DR office. Then..... walked all the way up the most brutal hill as well. I made sure to stay well hydrated (it is 26 degrees celsius here) . I tested about 3 hours later and was throwing off ketones like crazy !!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 19:29

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up Day 1 met!!

Yay! I got off my cushy butt right after work and jogged really fast for a few minutes, but then quickly realized that wasn't going to work so I spent the rest of the 40 minutes walking, feeling like I might cough up something or barf. My lungs are way outta shape..
BUT I got checked out by a lot of cute guys so it made it more interesting...
not that I care, seeing as how I have a wonderful man, but..
it made me feel purdy anyway
maybe it's my cute black and white exercise outfit.
Next time I bring along some music. Eminem always makes me push really hard!

Phew. I'm just glad it's over for today!

congrats to the rest of you who exercised today!

oh yeah,
ps- thininBC- I LOVE Diet Vanilla Coke (discovered it Saturday) and I've been drinking it the last few days, but it's been making me retain water I think so I hafta stop.

pps-Llynya- I got into bellydance a few months ago and quickly bought 2 box sets of tapes & dvd's. Then sorta fell right back out of it. I haven't even watched them all! Who are the instructors on your tapes?

Last edited by nitrovixen : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 19:37.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:51

BF:

Llynya, glad you joined us! Belly dancing sounds like such a fun way to get in shape! Hope it works out for you.

I just got back from Big 5 and got myself a cap and goggles so I can start lap swimming again. I just find it so much easier than jogging, I don't know why. Gona get in tonite as soon as the goofers get out of the pool. Glad I'm not sore from my jog yesterday.

So great to see everyone getting active and accomplishing something! Keep it up guys!

Jamian
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:15

Talking Nitrovixen

I seriously should start another thread for those of us who are in the addictive grip of the almighty Diet Vanilla Crack -oops- I mean Coke. I love it and have a serious emotional attachement to it.

Jamain - Thanks for starting this thread. Excellent idea.

To everyone else -

Congrats on taking the steps (even if they are feeble ones )
towards being fit.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 05:52

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%

Wow! I've tasted Diet Van. Coke once, but didn't get addicted. Maybe I need to go back and try that again! (Hee Hee)

Anyway, back to exercise...

Gosh, it's hard to find time for this. My house is a disaster on a regular basis and I'm always behind on it. (Cleaning, laundry, ironing, shopping, cooking, running the kids around and now that Summer is here -- gardening -- and we have 8 acres to keep landscaped) Where the heck to put the exercise

I belong to the YMCA but just can't seem to commit to three mornings a week. I have tried over and over again, only to go once and then not return until the next week. While I'm there, I enjoy it thoroughly, but the routine thing just isn't happening. Too much else eating up my time. This is very frustrating!!!!!

I'm trying, folks. You'd think with all the work I do around here, I'd be as thin as a rail. (Fat chance with my genes.)

I'm gonna keep trying to come up with a solution, folks.

Jeannie