Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:53

Plan: lc -excercise
Stats: 175/158/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 68%
Unhappy Cramping

Does anyone else experience leg cramping? If so what should I do? Someone suggested eating a small orange a day for about three days, however I don't want to mess up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 13:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins Diet
Stats: 232/215/190 Male 71"
BF:50%/31%/20%
Progress: 40%

Hi Zoki,

Yeah, I have that same problem, especially at night. I've started taking Centrum Silver multi vitamin, that helps a bit. But when I have leg cramps at night, I eat a tablespoon of yellow mustard and then drink a glass of water and the cramps stop within a few minutes.

Hope that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 14:02

Plan: lc -excercise
Stats: 175/158/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thanks Zoochef,

I'll give that a try. I just posted this question but since your here,
Do you know if salsa is allowed?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Zoki. Most likely the reason your friend suggested to eat oranges is that they contain potassium. I also get leg cramps due to a decrease in potassium which is found in many of the fruits and veggies that are restricted on induction. Often a supplement of potassium will do the trick without sacrificing ketosis by eating "the forbidden fruit."
Good Luck. Queen Bee
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:26
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Magnesium!

Hi Zoki,

Unfortunately leg cramps can be quite common when one first starts low carbing. They are caused because when we lose all that water at first, we also lose some minerals and electrolytes.

Potassium helps (we usually need a bit extra anyway), but magnesium is the main leg cramp preventer.

Magnesium is absorbed best when taken with calcium in a 2cal:1mag formula. I believe you can get tablets with 330mg calcium and 167mg mag. (Where I live they come in 250:125 ) It's best to take them through the day - not all at once, as the supps don't last much more than 12 hours. You'll need 1000:500mg, unless you are post menopausal, in which case you'll need 1500:750.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:56

Stats: 200/190/140
BF:31
Progress: 17%
Default leg cramps

Hi! Yes, I have those nasty leg cramps that happen first thing in the morning or anytime I awaken at night. Hurts something awful!

I agree with Rosebud. You need the Magnesium and Postasium that is lacking in this diet. It is hard to get enough when you are on induction. I have been on induction for over two months now.

Another thing that contributes to these "Charlie Horses" or leg cramps is dehydration. Get yourself a sports bottle with a straw (helps because you can drink more, faster) and drink, drink, drink that water! Don't forget to take a multi-vitamin every day, too!

Hope this helps,
Joytothewww
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 16:53

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

So, if I have Coral Calcium and it has 530 MG of Calcium and 265 mg of Magnesium is that not enough?

Also, on my bottle, it has calcium listed like this:

Calcium (from 1515 mg coral calcium) 530 mg

What does the 1515 mg mean?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:18
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Rick,

You need a total of 1000mg calcium, so if you double your dose, you'll be fine.

I can't claim to fully understand the ins and outs of how they obtain their calcium, but generally you need the "elemental" calcium, and I'm assuming your bottle says something like 530mg elemental calcium and 265mg elemental magnesium.

I remember getting caught early on by this. I had a bottle that said "Calcium 250, magnesium 125," and I thought great, just what I need. It was only when I was wondering why i was still getting occasional cramps and read the label more closely that I saw I was only getting 100 mg calcium with each dose, not 250!

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 04:59

Hi Zoki,

I pass the question about the salsa on to Rosebud. To tell the truth, Rosebud knows more about this than I do. I have been on the Atkins Plan a relatively short time and am learning about it each day. Be sure to visit other journals, you can gain a wealth of information. Hang in there, low carbing does work.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 05:19
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks, Michael.

Quote:
Do you know if salsa is allowed?

Hi Zoki, it pretty much depends what's in it. I know that sounds kinda obvious, but that's about all I can say.
I'm guessing you don't mean homemade, because you can choose what goes in it, so it's a matter of reading labels. If you stick to a sugar free or at least very low sugar one, you should be okay.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 07:10

Default Salsa

Yes, I am a fool for salsa - it is nice on eggs as a dip with pork rinds and for me, something I can just eat out of a dish. You can make almost any kind of salsa in the world by just adding the ingredients you like to a blender and let 'er rip!

One of my favorites is to find a low carb canned tomato - one that processes with the least sugar, add a little chopped onion, a little chopped jalepeno and a little chopped cilantro - blend until it is a consistency you like in a blender. This produces a salsa most like the "canned stuff" and "jar stuff" you know that one that comes form "New York City!" - Paces.

Even better, though is one made from fresh tomatoes, adding your own favorite herbs, onions peppers etc. Add a little of the jalepeno vinegar before blending for a nice taste of a bit of red wine vinegar. Enjoy!

About the only thing that works on Atkins is to know exactly what is in what you are eating. You either memorize the carb chart - which is not that difficult or you carry a carb counter. Always Read every product you put in your mouth to determine if is has sugar or carbs. If you do that, you will always be safe.

Hope this helps. Joy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 15:48
Registered Member

Stats: 210/170/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Wish I knew
Progress: 67%

I too get leg cramps. Kinda just an achey feeling like you wanna stretch but it makes me toss and turn because I can't get comfortable when I am trying to go to sleep. I also wake sometimes in the night. I have never had problems sleeping through the night before. I am just completing my first week of Induction and take the Basic 3 and Essential Oils.

Can you take additional of Potassium and as Rosebud suggests Magnesium which is the main leg cramp preventer. Basic 3 has that stuff in it dosn't it. Should I take more?

Tammy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 16:02
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Tammy,

Check the label to see how much magnesium, potassium and calcium is in the Basic 3. I doubt there'll be 1000mg calcium, 500mg magnesium and 400mg potassium.

Rosebud
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:11

Cool

Hi Zoki,

Just stopped by to see how you are getting along. Have the leg cramps gotten better? Usually I have them at night around 1:30 to 3:30 a.m. and sometimes when I am walking, especially up hill.

Anyway, just stopped by to say hello and see how you are.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:22

Default leg cramps

Hi Zuki and everyone else,

Yes, my leg cramps are under control ever since I started the potassium, later I added magnesium along with my mulitiple vitamin.

I travel a lot and most of the time - 99% - I am in coach class. Kind of like being in a shoebox for 9 hours at a time! I am extra careful to get up and walk around the plane when it is not pitching in turbulence! I drink at least 16 cups of water a day in addition to any decaf coffee or tea I have.

As long as I remember my minerals and my water, I am staying clear of those leg cramps!

Let me know how you are coming along.....Joytothewww