Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Carb count of Low Carb Breads

Hi, Im curious, what the average carb count is on the bought Low Carb Bread?

I have been eating one slice 1-2 times a week for about 3 weeks now with no effects, still losing. The bread I buy is made with no flour, only organic grains. The carb count is 15.8 with 4.5 fibre So 11.3 per slice, I think that is really good for a bread not marketed as Low carb and I get it at the Overload store for 1.59 a loaf.

The Brand is SILVER HILLS The have about 5 kinds all made with no flour. Awesome bread with lots of flavour.

So those that buy low carb bread, please post the carb count, Thank you.

Cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sat, May-31-03 at 10:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well! Too bad none of the Canadian eaters of bread have responded to this yet. It could be quite helpful.

I was just having a look through the Low Carp Products forum and noticed that there were lots of posts on low carb breads. If you go there and do a search using the key word "bread", you'll find lots of information.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 10:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think Atkins bread has 6g per slice. I also got another brand which tasted really good, but the slices were way to small to use as samwich bread
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:59

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Atkins and Carbolite breads have something like 3g net carbs per slice. Atkins bread is not that good. Carbolite bread is horrible. I will occassionaly have a slice or two of Nature's Own Reduced Carb Bread, which tastes pretty good, especially if you use it as toast. It is made with Whole Wheat and Soy and is sold in most major supermarkets...and has 7g of carbs and 2g fiber for 5g Net carbs per slice.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:27

BF:

Thanks Karen, I'll check it out. I really enjoy the silver hills bread and one slice is just enough for me, not to mention it's pretty darn good fibre, lol

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:19
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just remembered something...Capers carries a bread in their refrigerator case called Essene and I think it's made by Lifestream. It's made with sprouted, whole grains and is a small, dense loaf. It's quite delicious but i haven't had it in years so I don't have a clue on the count.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%

I'm from the Vancouver area, and I buy a bread that's not touted as low carb, but is on the low carb side.

I can't remember right now the name of the maker, I am at work, but I can check when I get home. I buy it at Save-On-Foods or Safeway, and it is an organic sprouted grain flax seed bread, and is absolutely to die for. The slices are those thick and wide kind of slices, and it is 16 carbs, 5 carbs fiber, so 11 carbs per slice. One slice can easily be cut in half and make a nice sized sandwich.

I keep it in the freezer, it freezes nicely. I don't have it everyday, about two or three times a week for a treat with my eggs, or for a sandwich at lunch.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 09:46

BF:

Gee, that sounds like Silver hills or maybe Natures way.

I read through alot of the low carb bread thread, and I think I'll stick with the Silver Hills. Most have the opinion, the $$ low carb stuff, lacks either flavour or texture. S.H. may be higher in carbs, but it seems to be fine with me, as it's not a daily item, and I feel safe in that, as I was never abig bread eater, I'm not missing sandwiches, cause I've never been a fan of them, so I just like a slice of toast with Almond Butter for breakfast 1-2 a week and I'm happy
For those of you in B.C. Silver Hlls ( better know as Squirrely bread) is sold in many big stores at around 3.89 a loaf, I buy mine at McGavins Overload for 1.59, (10 loaves at a time) and freeze it right away, it has no additives in it, and should as well, be kept in the fridge in summer months. It's the only bread my family really enjoys, other than my homemade, LOL, not lately!

Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 18:33

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I drive my shopping cart past squirrely bread every time I go to Overwaitea, and I have missed this bread so much! I love the seeds, the taste, the great toast it makes!!
I am gonna buy some and have a piece once or twice a week- and even at full price this bread is worth the money.
Here is a link:
http://www.silverhillsbakery.com/in...onid=3&pageid=5

Mae