Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Between a rock and a hard place

Hi all. I have been trying different types of low carb since Feb and have lost nothing. In fact, I have gained fat around my abdomen and legs.
I lost 22 lbs on WW last year but stopped because I wasn't getting enough protein and my hair was thinning, etc. The problem is, my body has not readjusted to low carb high fat. I am burning nothing, even with exercise. I am hypothyroid and also on HRT (considering natural solutions to that with progesterone cream). I can't fit into the clothes I did last summer.
I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO AND AM DESPERATE TO REVERSE THIS!!
I had a carb minibinge last weekend-popcorn, some Ezekial bread. Don't think carbs are the answer, even the non-empty ones, was hungry all day Sat. My ongoing craving is ice cream, not breads and pasta.My problems are these:
1.I get up early and eat around 5:30 AM, have a smaller protein snack at work around 9 (sometimes part of breakfast left over), have lunch and something around 3. Because I start my eating so early I eat too much during the day. When I look at the menus of some people I can't believe they can go on 2 hardboiled eggs and some bacon until lunch.
2. I still want a "dessert" with my lunch. Used to use fruit-so......

I have read South Beach, PP and Atkins, am paralyzed at this point about how to eat. Never turned a ketostick anything but tan during induction.
Thank you for letting me vent and whine, am stressed out about a lot of things in my life right now and want to at least get my eating under control.
E.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Lightbulb

Think about your motives for using a l/c eating plan. Have you read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution? If not, you can get lots of info and inspiration from the website: www.atkinsnutritionals.com.

Are you abiding by the allowed foods only? Have you broken your addiction to "empty" carbs, i.e. junk food etc? Do you exercise? How much water are you drinking? If you're looking for a quick fix, this is not is. Low-carbing is a lifetime thing...

#3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Its a hard cycle to break out of. I was finding myself binging on legal foods until I just started recording everything I ate. That helps me. I count calories too, and I just make it work. I stopped buying legal snacks, other than 1/week (meaning 1 thing of cottage cheese, 1 pack of cheese curds etc) and I just eat that. I try and have a bigger breakfast and dinner and a medium lunch with a lot of protein. I also make sure to eat at least 20-30 g fiber a day, because it makes me fell much more full. I also was having problems with those atkins bars, they were not really like2 carbs in my system, and I was binging on them! (I ate a box of 15 in less than 2 weeks!) they are expensive too!

dont give up yet! You just have to figure out what works best for you! Try to de-emphasize food, that seems to work for me.

Hope some of that helps. Try and post some menus and maybe you can get some more advice to what is going on.

I have the ice cream cravings too, funny thing that I never even liked ice cream before this WOE! Also, my dessert craving time is at night, so a few days a week I allow myself a special treat of sugar free jello!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:14

Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for the replies.
I was doing Leslie Sansone tapes and some Pilates when I was doing WW and afterwards but have found myself unmotivated lately, like I have no energy. Trying some weight training too but it's sporadic.
I was staying on induction except for one cup of coffee in the AM (but that never stopped me losing on WW. )Limit diet soda to one at lunch and often have Hansen's with Splenda.
Oh yes I drink ALOT of water, got used to that on WW.
I feel like I lost when I ate less fat on WW but I need to up my protein. I always like whole grains, don't eat alot of junk food, mostly popcorn for a snack.Already cooked with olive oil. When I lost I was eating Kashi and yogurt, wholewheat pitas with turkey pepperoni , mozzarella and veggies,etc but dropped WW because in order to keep within points I couldn't raise my protein to 6 oz . PP book says I should be eating 34 gms per meal.
My problem that WW helped with was portion control. I also find I will pig out on nuts so there goes another low carb snack; once ate a whole bag of macadamias from Trader Joe's in a weekend.
Beginning to wonder if I should go back to WW but just eat a higher point range to accomodate more lean protein. I just don't feel like I really belong here anymore.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:28

Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

I'll probably be banned from this forum for writing this, but low-carbing is not suitable for everyone, apart from the suggestion to stop eating refined carbs and trans fats. If you're not succeeding with low-carb, you might want to read the book The Nutrition Solution: A Guide to Your Metabolic Type, which explains the metabolic typing concept. Metabolic typing categorizes people into two major metabolic groups, and two subtypes of each group, for a total of four. Two of the subtypes are better-suited to a low-carb diet, and two are better suited to a higher-carb diet.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:54
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have heard it said here before, low carbing isn't for everyone.

I have to say though that I haven't seen any scientific proof backing up the theories between blood type and diet having any corolation.

Smaller meals throughout the day can be very effective. There are other common stallers you may not be aware of.

Are you really a turtle?

If you do go to another plan, good luck!

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 13:10

Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Just to clarify, metabolic typing is not the same as blood typing, and the results of the metabolic typing lab work don't necessarily result in the same dietary recommendations as the blood typing paradigm.

The reason that there isn't a wealth of clinical studies about metabolic typing is that the paradigm is where low-carbing was about 30 years ago in terms of acceptance. The medical profession villifies it or ignores it, and the public hasn't heard of it. But, metabolic typing does have a 30-year history of its own, and recent refinements about 10 years ago have made the methodology comprehensive. The research to date has been methodical, but limited and private (not peer-reviewed). Metabolic typing practitioners haven't marketed any special foods, other than specially formulated supplements for each metabolic group. So, nobody has a big advertising budget to promote their books or their agenda.

Last edited by acohn : Wed, May-28-03 at 13:19.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:49
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Sorry, I should read more carefully, I thought you were referring to the Eat Right for Your Blood Type book.

I haven't heard of the other.

There are lots of books I want to read, now there's another one for my list.

Beth
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:59

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

After reading both the blood type diet book and the metabolic type.....they both pretty much confirmed my higher protein, etc.. approach on atkins........I thought that was pretty interesting.......

.......as far as your plan ewinpa..........you can modify what you were doing on WW to include more protein and stick to the unrefined foods, grains, etc... to round out your points...........I think everyone here will agree that it is very much an individual thing to find out what will work best for your body~