Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/153.5/120
BF:29
Progress: 16%
Default Anti-Atkins fanatic at the health food store

yikes, I was simply browsing the local store, comparing various protein shakes. Settled on Atkins vanilla because it had the lowest carb content, brought it up and was made to suffer a tirade of opinion on Atkins diets, Dr. Atkins himself (a crook, a thief, a liar, and, least graciously, "a dead man"). This particular salesguy is not always there, it's a small family-owned business and I think he is the wacky cousin they feel sorry for and let him work a few shifts. He pushed hard for the other brand I'd been looking at and almost bought. "We only carry Atkins because it sells."

The more regular and sane salesguy looked annoyed, and I don't think he necessarily agreed with the other guy. He is someone who has helped me figure out a few things i.e. treating reflux without meds, and I know he never eats sugar at all. I asked him his opinion and he shrugged and said "the other one tastes better."

Is this anti-Atkins anger common? I'll admit it did give me pause, as heart disease does run in my family, but overall I think he was a wacko and Atkins is safe. I hope!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:09

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thats insane! I'll bet the owner or manager of the place would be interested in knowing that! No health food store I have ever gone to has "judged" my choice of products and in fact, just the opposite, has provided knowledgeable support.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:23
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I'm sorry in advance, but this hit home to me as a previous shop owner...

You must report this idiot in writing to the owners, detailing the hostility and bias, not to mention the incorrect information.

Health food stores are supposed to be a resource for information...whichever your particular plan or principle...
but perhaps this dude needs to be reminded that "swindling" people with lies, cheats and snake oil is not new to the "supplement" industry.

How awful to have to run into that kind of treatment when you are in a positive frame of mind! Fight back with some solid info!! Good luck,

#4   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:28

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

That is insane. I would not stand for that treatment. What a rude jerk.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:28

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Thumbs down

No, this is NOT common! The guys at my store love Atkins, b/c it sells like crazy!!

In my opinion, when people get that crazy-defensive, they rarely have their facts in order about much of anything, they're running strictly on emotion

Reporting the incident is an excellent idea-good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:35

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Not to change the subject , but Sibli can you let me know if lcing gets rid of your reflux or if something else has ? My husband has been thinking of lcing to get rid of his reflux .He can't sleep at night . The doctor had prescribed him prilosec , but right now we don't have insurance and it is very expensive... I had him read a post about a week ago where others were saying lcing got rid of their acid reflux .and he just says" I think I will try lcing but hasn't done anything about it." Thanks, Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:38

Plan: Atkins Restarted 2-2-04 Original weight 243 lbs.
Stats: 228/203/150 Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 32%

My local health food store is very supportive of Atkins, one of the workers is even on it so I ask him things occassionally and he's helped me pick out some very yummy LC food. I wouldn't stand to be treated that way, afterall, "the customer is always right".
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:43
Registered Member

Default thanks for the validation

I don't think I'll report it, only because the other guy--the sane, helpful one-- who was there saw the whole thing, and it's his mother's shop. They're all opinionated but never over the top (I didn't even ask!?) like this other guy. I'm mention it to them next time I'm in there. On the one hand I can sympathise with people wanting to share their knowledge, especially if they're passionate about it, but, as all of you said, this was totally the wrong way to go about it.

As for the reflux, I was lucky that dietary changes made a big difference. No tomatos, no spicy foods, no dairy (also good to keep allergies and sinus infections at bay-- I'm a singer) and no eating late at night. I do have a bottle of Prevacid, but I only use one if I've eaten a bad food and been stressed all day or something. Otherwise I'll have a tablespoon of Gaviscon (keep it in the fridge, it tastes better) and that does it for me.

Almost forgot: keep your head elevated at night. Whether using an extra pillow or somehow elevating the head of your bed. When I was first diagnosed I took Prevacid for a month, but after that initial treatment I only "spot treat."

Last edited by SibliSabli : Wed, May-28-03 at 10:46.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

How long have you been on Atkins? I would have a mild case every once in a while but I haven't had a problem since starting the lcing.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

The other thing you could do, if you do not want to report it, is to "report" with your $$$. You could stop shopping there. Is that the only health food store where you live? Are the prices and selection compelling? The information provided certainly is not, from what you described. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 17:49
Registered Member

Default no boycotts yet...

This freak really is a case of one bad apple in a very good bunch. The rest of the staff is excellent, I've been going there for years. the products and advice are all sound and they love helping research stuff, whether or not it results in a sale. But this guy...

Anyway CinCin I've only been on Atkins this time around for 4 days. I'm sure I read in the book something about reflux being helped by a no-carb diet, but I also recall wondering what connection there could possibly be.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 18:20
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I would have cut him off at once, and told him to mind his own freaking business! I never listen to anyone rant at me about my choices. Especially strangers.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaillean
I would have cut him off at once, and told him to mind his own freaking business! I never listen to anyone rant at me about my choices. Especially strangers.

RIGHT-ON!

Best to all;
Jake
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 21:13
Registered Member

Default I hear ya

I guess that I've grown used to hearing bizarre statements and rants and observing them in an interested, yet emotionally detached way. My favorite is: "Hm, isn't that an interesting viewpoint." Which leaves them thinking they've accomplished whatever goal they had in mind but doesn't encourage them, so everybody is happy without my causing a weird scene. Good skill for dealing with a lot of New Yorkers, ESPECIALLY artistic ones lol!!

Plus he's not a baby-eating ogre, just some weirdo who thinks he needs to tell everyone what he thinks of Atkins, and in his mind he thinks he's saving my life.

Now, if there WERE animals or babies involved? Oh you bet your a** I'd have caused a scene.

Last edited by SibliSabli : Wed, May-28-03 at 21:16.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 08:07
Registered Member

Default doh! cincin I just figured out what "lcing" means

But it doesn't really change my answer... the dietary changes I made when I was diagnosed helped more.