Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default please help, im lost

I need some serious help. I started on cad yesterday, and i was so excited, and a part of me still is. The only problem is that I feel so tired during the day, and sort of out of it, not to mention grumpy (just ask my boyfriend) .After my rm at night(around 5-6 pm, I get so tired. I eat two cm a day, and I dont snack. I read the book and dont think Im doing anything wrong...three years ago I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but I thought I had it under control...is this diet not for me? My reward meal is balanced and i only had one little pastry for dessert. The only thing i can think of is that its because of my blood sugar since this diet really works for so many of you. I am so sad, this was the one plan I felt I could live with for the rest of my life...I don't want to give up but I don't want to feel like this. In the middle of the afternoon i feel so tired and hungry(and yes, again, grumpy) please anybody, help, any thoughts, suggestions, anything at all

sad in vegas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 22:22

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Bluedelfin,

I think you should give yourself a little time to adjust to the diet. A day or two is not long enough to draw any judgements as to what the long-term would be like for you.

I use this diet because it is the best thing I have found to control unstable blood sugars and cravings. It is a huge relief to not be fighting my diet all day every day - life is too short.

Can you post your menu? Maybe we could see something. Are you drinking lots of water? What was your diet just before starting CAD? If you were eating low-fat, it can take a few days for you to adjust to burning fat for energy. Are you eating enough? Starting a journal here could be helpful because we could see more over time, but don't hesitate to use this forum.

Lila
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:22

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

heya

Feeling awful is common for the first 3-4 days of doing any low carb diet. Your body has to get over the addiction and withdrawls. Hang in there it will get better

Jaden
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 10:35

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Smile don't give up!

Everything new is hard for a while. Our bodies are truly addicted to sugar and starch and when we deprive them of this, initially they react very badly. After a little while, they rebound and react far better.

You will feel better after a while. Ask anyone who's quit smoking what it's like the first few days. They are fighting an addiction to a chemical, just as you are. It's not easy, but it can be done and [COLOR=deeppink] you can do it!!!

I'm back on this after a long break and I know I never felt better than I did on low carb. Keep it up. Give it a chance. You'll probably feel better than you ever did before once you get past the detox part.

Best of luck.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 14:15

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

One more vote for keeping at it. Give yourself at least a week before even thinking about throwing in the towel. Just when you think you can't stand it anymore, you're going to turn a corner and feel GREAT! Don't give up yet....

Deb
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:35

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

When I first started I remember having very strong feelings befor my RM-I would feel like-Everyone get out of my way I need food!!!! The feeling was urgent and I was very grumpy until I could eat. I don't know if these are like the feelings you are having, but they definitely went away.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 20:31

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default I agree......

Hang in there..... give it a few days.....

You have had some wonderful suggestions. Eat plenty, drink lots of water, sleep plenty..... track your food and activities in a journal. ...... all of these things helped me on my road to better health!

You can do it!
Libby
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 09:10
Registered Member

BF:
Default thank you

thank you all so much for the wonderful advice, it's good to know there are so many nice and caring people outthere!
I hate to say this, but I had to go off this diet. I followed it to the T, and it just wasn't for me. Instead I started upping my veggies alot and working out every day at the gym, with both cardio and strength. I eat five minimeals aday and as many veggies as I want. I keep the protein to 3-4 oz per meal. For some reason this works for me. I allow myself one dessert per day if I want it, no guilt trip. So far I'm having the kind of results I want, no cravings, more energy and no guilt. I'm still in the beginning stages of this, so I don't know where it will take me, but it just made no sense to me that I never lost on atkins, cad, schwarzbein etc ,even after being in deep purple ketosis for over two weeks. I guess I'm weak, because if I don't see any results after that time it doesn't feel right. I will let you all know how it works out, but I'm already down three pounds in my first week of doing this. I never saw results like that on these other diets. Maybe it's just water weight although I doubt since my tom is coming up. Maybe my body is just weird?? wish me luck, and the same to all of you. This weight thing means so much to all of us, I sincerely hope we all succeed in whatever we decide works for us. I hope I still belong in this forum, since I still sort of consider myself a lowcarber.
By the way, I know that my overeating is emotional, so I started going to a meeting which has helped me a lot, I recommend this to anyone. I don't think all obesity can be blamed on insulin, I think some of it, even a small portion has to do with our emotions. At least it does for me. These meetings are a god send and they have taught me that when I take away the longing and pleasure of eating sugary, starchy stuff, I have to replace that hole with something else I can enjoy, or there will be a void and I won't feel fulfilled. Made sense to me, as my binges were really sonething that I looked forward to. Sorry this is so long.....i got carried away. Guess I'm trying to keep that hope alive!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 09:39

Unhappy Emotional eating

Oh, isn't the emotional eating thing sooooo true. Right now I'm having a crappy day and the first though is "Cookies."

No. I didn't have any. But it was the first thought. As if cookies were going to solve my problems. No. I don't think so. They'll only add to my distress as I'll have one more reason to be upset. i.e., going against my true desire to be healthier and happier.

Well, I wish you luck. Lots of veggies is a good thing and you have to do what works with your body. Everyone's body reacts differently to food and it sounds like you've found something healthy that works for you.

Jeannie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default cookies

thanks jeannie, yes those cookies are tough, especially when it's a tough day. I had a really tough and stressful day yesterday, and I hate to say that I had dinner at Taco Bell, so I guess I still have some way to go to resolve that inner voice that tells me that I deserve that cookie and cake when things are going rough. Sigh...but I got right back on today and had my egg omelette and tomato and cucumber for breakfast. I doesn't make it easier that my boyfriend always has cookies(yes, the white chocolate macadamia nut and oatmeal, and he also buys little pastries, ...did I mention he's slender? SOOOO UNFAIR!!!) anyway, I try my best to avoid them, but I do allow myself one sweet per day, preferably sugarfree.) So I try to look away when I open my cupboard and see these cookies and pastries, and it's getting easier. Maybe next time I get mad at him I'll throw it alldown the garbage disposal. good luck to you..how is your weightloss coming along?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 12:42

Default weight loss

Well, right now, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm in week 17 of my 4th pregnancy and I'm just trying to gain very slowly. In past pregnancies I gained 50 lbs each time, so I want to gain far less this time, if I can be good and make that happen.

Before I got pregnant, I was losing steadily. I went down to about 152 and then...

Anyway, I gained about 17 lbs the first trimester and then said. "No. I've got to low carb and I've got to do it now." It really seems to be helping as the weight gain has basically stopped.

I know what u mean about cookies and pastries in the house. I have a husband and 3 kids who love the stuff. I can't not have it here in some measure, anyway. Sometimes, I even miss having apples, bananas and grapes (always sitting on my counter in a fruit bowl for the kids). It's hard, but I know it's not for me.

Continued good luck to you. We CAN do this.

Jeannie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 19:06

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 188/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Bluedelfin,

Finding what works for you is what this is all about, and it sounds like you are on a good track at last. Keeping a lid on the cravings, cheerfully eating enough & not too much, getting the weight under control is what we're all looking for, and it sounds like what your're doing now fits the bill for you.

Do keep us posted, and best wishes going forward. CAD/CALP isn't for everyone, and we all know that. You can still start a journal & we'll come by & visit!

Lila