Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Wink Comical fast food orders

I'm finding that choices at fast food restaurants aren't as bad as what I first thought. Come with me in the drive-thru lane to my McD's visit 2 weeks ago...

Annie: Yes, I'd like your dollar double-cheeseburger. Hold the bread and ketchup.
Girl: (long pause, as in "Huh"?)
Annie: Did you hear that order?
Girl: Yeah, uh, I just don't know how to do that.
Annie: Well, can you just make the burger without putting ketchup on it, and hold the bread? I am doing Atkins.
Girl: Uh, I just don't know how to do that...
Annie: That's ok, just give me the dollar cheeseburger and I"ll do it myself.

The second time I went in, I politely spoke with the woman manager and shared my experience. She chuckled and said, "Oh, we get Atkins orders all the time now!" Next time, tell them you want it in a box."
I went further the following time and asked that they put the cheese in the middle, so it doesn't melt into the box. ( I later was told by the manager that when the girl said "I don't know how to do that", she was referring to punching in the order, not excluding the buns.

This weekend, while on vacation, I went to BK. The order-taker said, "You'll need a box with that, a fork and a knife. We get orders for Atkins all the time now."
My mouth dropped to the floor, we exchanged smiles, and she made my day!
Has anyone else had any other comical experiences with orders? Or any ideas for other orders?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%

too funny. i haven't tried that yet but i plan to as soon as hubby wants to go out for a quick bite.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Too funny!

Please friends, don't think I eat every meal at McD's or BK! LOL

Cetacean, let us know what their reaction is! We need a good laugh!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:38
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nope - still getting the raised eyebrows here. "No bun?"
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:46
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

When I worked at a "healthy fast food" restaurant say 8 years ago, we had a no bun button. I never used it, and had no idea who would want to use it. Times sure have changed.

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 14:01

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Unhappy I'm too chicken

I haven't gotten up the nerve to ask for my burger sans bun-- I always just take it off myself. I had a great lunch at Subway today. I found out you can order any sub as a salad. Their dressings are all fat free, though, so I asked for some oil and vinegar.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 14:20

Stats: 160/127/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%/28.7%/??
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up In N' Out Burgers

In N' Out Burgers has a "protein style" option for their burgers. They wrap the burger in lettuce leaves for you! It's very cool.

Here is their website... you can nutritional info there. I think I remember the protein style burgers being about 11 g carbs each.

http://www.in-n-out.com/

Shel
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 17:09

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

One of my first experiences ordering LC happened when a friend and I were in the food court of a shopping mall in Seattle; I asked for a cheeseburger without the bun, and the young woman behind the counter gave me a blank look and asked, "What do you mean?" It took several tries at explaining what I wanted before she got it. I guess she just couldn't imagine someone not wanting bread.

Karla
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:00

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

Annie,
Yep, I can relate! I've chuckled about this several times after making a quick morning run through McD's for an "Egg McMuffin...but no muffin, please". The first time, the McD's worker (in her best Charlie Brown's teacher/speaker voice) stammered "I'm sorry, you want...you want.... what?"
One day, when I first starting LCing, I had ordered a salad and before I realized what I was doing, I had crunched up 2 packs of crackers and dumped them on my salad (I know, most people eat them on the side... I like them ON my salad). After I realized what I had done, I frantically started picking out cracker pieces and piling them on a napkin. About that time, the server came back to ask if I needed anything... she couldn't take her eyes off that little pile of cracker crumbs. I just kept on picking cracker crumbs and told her that everything was just fine.
This past weekend, I had a Philly Steak 'n cheese sandwich at a local restaurant. I decided to just go ahead and get it with the roll and take it home for my dog (it has all those yummy beef juices in it!). The waitress gave me the funniest look after I ate all the meat and cheese ..then asked for a "to go" box for just the bun.
Heehee... it's actually kind of fun to be "different", isn't it?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:11

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I went to Wendy's a few weeks ago...and asked for a Classic Triple, plain, no bun...The woman asked if I was on "that no bread diet." I said, yes...and she told me that half the employees there are on that diet.

Places I've ordered without the Bun:

McDonalds (N 9th Ave, N Davis Hwy)
Wendys (N 9th Ave)
Burger King (ATL -- Delta Terminal)
Chilis Too (FLL -- US Air Terminal ?)
Sub Place (MCO -- Delta Terminal)

Chilis Too and the Sub Place (can't remember the name, but BK was closed at the time) were the only ones who gave me an odd look.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:45

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Someone I know told me McDolnalds now has a button for no bun-I never order it that way because they ususally mess up my order anyway and this will just make it more difficult for them
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I decided to just go ahead and get it with the roll and take it home for my dog (it has all those yummy beef juices in it!). The waitress gave me the funniest look after I ate all the meat and cheese ..then asked for a "to go" box for just the bun.

LOL I do that all the time. I don't ever order with out the bun because I just pick it off myself and my puppy dogs sure enjoy them when I get home (We dont eat out often so its a nice treat for them). I have come very used to asking for a second small plate when we go out (We don't ever go anywhere fancy....) and picking out the things I cant have and then asking for a togo box. Most of the waiters ask me if everything was OK I just smile and say yep! While my BF looks at me and shakes his head.... What can I say never a dull moment with me!

Sarah
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:15

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

I should probably mention that there was a time (before 1992) when I didn't eat buns, rolls, or biscuits. It wasn't because I was dieting...I just didn't eat them. This was mostly because my mom cooked all of my meals before then and I'd just gotten used to a meal being meat (beef, chicken, fish), mashed potatoes, and green beans or peas.

She never made bread with meals. That is probably why I was skinny until 1992. On the occassions when I ate out, I would order a burger with no bun. I got quite alot more questions back then than I do now.

But, alas...I tried bread (other than the breading on fried foods or the occassional slice of birthday cake) for the first time in 1992 and became instantly addicted. Around that same time, she got a new job and stopped cooking...we started eating out and I started eating alot of bread.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/160 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 15%

ha ha ! I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and felt really uncomfortable when I asked for no bun at Wendy's and I got that blank stare. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. The first time I went to McD and got a double cheeseburger plain I didn't ask for it that way and lost all my cheese because it was stuck to the bun...so I learned fast :>).
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 23:24

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Quote:
originally posted by Shrinky
I went to McD and got a double cheeseburger plain I didn't ask for it that way (in the box w/cheese in middle) and lost all my cheese because it was stuck to the bun

LOL. Yup, that was me today at lunch. When I peeled off the bun, I had to take the cheese off too because it had bread bits stuck to it. I've learned my lesson at McD's. I've gone back to plain burgers w/o buns and a side salad. Two times I ordered those new premium salads. First time, I ordered grilled chicken on a bacon ranch salad with a cup for water. I got crispy chicken, no cup. Second time, I ordered grilled chicken on a bacon ranch salad with a cup for water. I got grilled chicken on a caesar salad w/o croutons, and a cup! Then I learned, those salads are waaay too salty for me (must be in the seasonings they use on the "grilled" chicken). Good luck on your LC journey!