Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 10:47

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Any Travelers Out There?

Hi Everyone,
I just graduated college and hve a graet new job; however, it is one that has me out of the office everyday. Does anyone else have the same problem with LCing on the road? I also hate being in teh office, so when I am I feel like a waste just sitting at my desk. Does anyone have any suggestions for eating on the road, or for brining an easy to pack lunch to work? I hate cooking!

Corie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face traveling

You can order protein foods and veggies just about anywhere. If you're stuck with fast food, order a burger with cheese and extra lettuce (plus whatever else) and toss the bun, then eat the burger wrapped in lettuce leaves-it's actually good that way!!

As for things to pack, you can do all kinds of roll-ups; there's always cheese and/or atkins Advantage bars, which were never a problem for me personally-oh, and hard-boiled eggs. I'm sure some others will have other good ideas, too-
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default Hello!

I to travel a lot with my work. I make sure to prepare my lunch the night before (failing to plan is planning to fail). Like Jannie said, hard boiled eggs are a standard, as are LC finger foods that I can eat as I drive.

Pieces of roast beef, chicken, pork or ham, dry salami, slices of cheese, cucumber slices, celery sticks, lettuce, sliced mushrooms, pizza quiche and that infallible baggie of pork rinds. I'll occasionally whip up some ham or egg salad if I know I can eat my lunch when I'm not driving, or leftovers from supper the night before.

Invest in one of those cooler/lunchbags to keep food fresh and safe to eat. I always take 2 - 1 Litre bottles of water with me too, so I know that I'll always have enough. I also keep a baggie of beef jerky in my briefcase for snack emergencies or if I'm running behind schedule and can't get to supper on time. Hope this helped!

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 215/174.6/150 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I travel tons for work. This requires me to eat in restaurants frequently. The good is that the companpy picks up the tab. The bad is that it is darn easy to pack on the pounds.

I find that LC-ing is very easy to deal with when dining out. There will always be roasted chicken, fish, or beef on the menu. Ask what the meal is served with and don't hesitate to ask for veggies instead of the potatoes or rice. In this economy, any restaurant is very happy for your business.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:26

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

I hear ya! I pack cheese and pepperoni as a snack. I also eat out every day for lunch and get my salad in for this meal. Stay away from buffet breakfast...scrambled eggs are sometimes made w/ milk.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 11:28

Stats: 150/143.3/138 Female 5'5"
BF:27.9
Progress: 56%
Default On the GOOOOOOOO!

I agree with Wolfiesask on the leftovers. Invest in some good individual containers or get those disposable/microwavable ones. Tomorrow, I'm making a vat of chili in my crock pot and I will freeze a bunch of lunches for myself for later. Whatever I plan for dinner, I always make enough for several additional meals. It's really convenient if they are already stored as individual meals. I've got to be able to grab and go.

When traveling, I look for the ever present chicken ceasar salad. There is a taco place near my office that has a spicey mexican chicken over salad served with salsa instead of dressing. Something a little different. You can always order the buffalo wings when you're out and about too. I know there is usually some sugar in the seasonings they use but it's still better than getting the sub sandwich!

And I always have nuts in my desk. When hunger strikes and there is no time for a messy meal, I'll eat a few of those to get me thru. Macadamias are my favorite but I'll also keep pistacios around becasue its takes time to shell them and keeps me from eating too many.

I look forward to other folks ideas on this thread. It's a good question.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:03

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

You can always cut up some low carb veggies- broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, cucumbers, etc.. put them in a ziploc & bring a tupperware container with some full fat Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing for dipping it in, this can even be eaten easily enough driving. Wrap some of your favorite lunch meats with some of your favorite cheeses- turkey w/ cheddar, roast beef w/ provolone, etc... Atkins Advantage Bars & Shakes also are easy for an on the go meal; I know they stall some but they work for me & might for you too. You could also carry your own salad dressing, then pick up a salad at a fast food place or other restraunt ( I like Wendy's w/ the grilled chicken myself). Get a small cooler/lunch box to keep stuff cold, then freeze 1-2 water bottles to further keep stuff cold & once they thaw drink the water. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:17

Plan: Trying Atkins
Stats: 130/122/115
BF:
Progress: 53%

Wow! Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the suggestions! Is anyone out there on induction right now? I feel as though I am limited as to what I can eat on the road. Cheese is out, right? (At least the amount I like to eat!) And I love it so much

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!

Corie
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:26

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I have one question. I notice a lot of people that are LCing eat pork rinds. How are you getting by the sodium?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:55

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

My job has no refrigerators to use and I can't get the food I bring to stay cold-Even with ice packs. I don't eat lunch meats at all so I have to go out for dinner-I work nights and ususally get some sort of hamberger or chicken or salad to go-those dollar menus rock!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Just a thought...but if you have to eat out every day, I would keep those fast food places to a minimum - unless you're doing your own salad bar...

But I would invest in a really nice cooler for your front seat and ziplock bags for everything! The fresh veggies and dip are a good snack, as are the sliced turkey and maybe some hot wings...

Keep lotsa water on hand, and I couldn't live without my big bag of shredded lettuce in the fridge!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:08

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

RickinTN,

You asked a good question about the sodium in pork rinds. Unless you've personally noticed a connection between eating sodium and increasing your blood pressure, there's no reason to avoid sodium in moderation. I know that somewhere among these threads, there's a link to a long article that reviews the heated debate about the sodium-blood pressure connection. The evidence seems to be inconclusive; reasonable people can gather a ton of evidence on both sides of the debate.

The trick about sodium is to keep it in the proper ratio with potassium. The standard recommendation is to eat at least a 2:1 ratio of potassium to sodium. Many people who aren't focused on their health can easily take in twice as much sodium as potassium. You can find out more about the role of potassium at Krispin Sullivan's web site. There's even a formula there to calculate how much potassium you need, based on your ideal body weight.

Personally, I make a potassium broth to ensure that I get enough potassium. Although my recipe doesn't mention it, I add 1 oz of kelp (available at health food stores or from Maine Seacoast Vegetables in bulk at a good price). As this nutrition chart shows, kelp is loaded with potassium, but balances it with some sodium.

I use pork rinds as part of faux breading mixes, as a substitute for bread crumbs.