Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Lofatcity (Picture of Health) Atkins type
Stats: 96/92.4/64
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Cream Whippers (such as the ISI brand) - how do you measure the cream you eat?

Hello,

I'm in Melbourne Australia and I have just purchased a cream whipper. It's a Kayser brand but works on the same principle as the ISI cream whipper.

I have the .5 litre size and have just read the instructions. I'm having a blonde moment and not sure how much cream I put in. I read somewhere that the volume is increased fourfold, i.e. 1/2 cup cream turns into 2 cups cream.

as I have the .5 litre size container how much cream do I put in? Also, I read in the brouchure that you can use lite cream (in Australia this lite cream does not whip up with regular beaters) so if it whips up in the cream whipper it will be great and also represent a huge savings on fat grams.

Sorry I have so many but I don't know anyone who has one of these gadgets (I purchased it from a gourmet kitchen supply outlet).

Also, when it is whipped how do we know how much cream we are consuming? Cos it's been whipped and volume added - I don't think I will have a clue if it is 1 tablespoon of cream or what?

Hope someone can help me out with the above.

Thanks so much.

ozgal
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/169/138 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:50+/33/28
Progress: 54%

I don't know the device at all, but it seems to me you decide how many of your three tablespoons of cream (allowed each day) you want to put in, and it does not matter the volume that comes out -- that volume is air beaten into your original 1, 2, or 3 TBSP. And use heavy cream, not lite. You are not trying to save fat grams here; you're trying to avoid carbs. I don't know the lite cream, either, but check it out and I suspect you will see that it has more carbs than heavy cream. Sounds like a fun kitchen gadget -- enjoy.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:35
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for your help.

Lite cream, believe it or not, only a slightly higher amount of carbs yet has half the fat and calories. I know Atkins does not worry too much about fat grams. I am actually following a slightly different program (Australia) whereby I have a certain amount of protein, fat and carbs to follow. So, in this instance the fat g and calories do count.

Also, it would not be economical for me to use the cream whipper for only 3 tbs of cream. A soda bulb has to be used each time you whip up a batch and cannot be re-used.

I remember reading that the cream is whipped to four times its volume, so I think I will use that as a guide, i.e. 1tbs whipped=1/4 tsp unwhipped cream. Hope this formula works as a guide.

I will keep a watch on my results to see if the cream tips me over.

Thanks for your help with this....sometimes it just takes me a while to work out some of the finer details.

If anyone else actually does use a cream whipper and has any other suggestions that would be great.

Thanks again for help.

ozgal
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:50

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Hi Ozgal,

I use an ISI and measure the output at 1/3 to 1/4 the amount as I would regular the heavy cream that made it... that is, if you use three to four Tbsp of whipped cream out of it, count it as one.

When you make it, you can use the maximum amount that your maker is rated at, which in your case it .5 liter. That is the pre-whipped amount, not the amount it will become after the gas is added. Mine is the same size and although the gas charge is capable of handling 2 cups, it works better (fluffier) with one, although not as economical.

I use 2 tsp vanila extract and 3 pkt Splenda/cup of cream.
Have fun!

T.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:10
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tes,

Thanks so much. I also add vanilla essence and Splenda in pretty much the same quantities as you.

My guesstimation was pretty close, i.e. 3 to 4 times the unwhipped amount. Thanks, good to know i am on the right track.

Can I just double check the 1 cup amount with you. Do you use 1 cup of cream in your whipper rather than the 2 cups so that the end result is fluffier?

I don't mind doing this also - it is a bit more expensive but if the product is better it is worth the cost.

Thanks so much for your help - I'm just about to have SF jello and whipped cream...yahoo!

ozgal
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:26

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally posted by ozgal

Can I just double check the 1 cup amount with you. Do you use 1 cup of cream in your whipper rather than the 2 cups so that the end result is fluffier?

ozgal

Yes, that's correct. I also have to shake the whipper more than the directions say to after adding the charge to make it come out nice and "whippy". Be careful not to shake too much as it will get too thick. So, shake a bit, test, and shake more if needed.
T.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 23:21

Plan: Aitkens
Stats: 200/200/175 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Where did you get the cream whipper in Australia?