Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Question Pump up the fat?

I know eating enough fat is an integral part of this Atkin's diet specifically.

BUT i'm a victim of the low fat gendre. I've forced myself to buy real butter; regular salad dressings and real sour cream.

BUT......I admit I use them sparingly and I AM a fat trimmer and skimmer when I cook meat.

I sincerely think I need MORE fat and fitday agrees. ANY tips how to add more fat to your diet?

IE) We recently had a thread on fave treats, how about fave treats with FAT.

Thanks kindly.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 01:10

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I think that maybe you need to eat a big ol' hunk of low carb cheesecake... Which i think has about a million billion calories, and a fair amount of fat that might help you out I also trim my meat (and cook it all on the george foreman grill, which drains the fat off)...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 05:43
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Cream cheese cheesecake is one of my favorite ways to add fat as well. I also like to munch on a handful of nuts when I feel peckish.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Stop I am dying here , that sounds so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where do you buy cheesecake or do you make it homemade? I am sure I have saw the recipe....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Mock danish (see the recipe section) would be good for raising your fat percentages as well as adding more to your foods. Cook in butter or olive oil and don't be shy about adding butter to your veggies or salad dressing on your salads.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:51

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I don't regularly eat cheesecake, but I do regularly eat the creamcheese with cinnamon and splenda. Its a great snack and definately adds a boost to the fat category.

It was odd not worrying about fat at first, but I took to it like a duck to water after the first week or so. My aunt also does Atkins and cannot bring herself to eat it hardly at all. I told her she would lose better, but she just can't eat it. Brainwashing by our government at its finest...lol.

L
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:55

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I guess I am still a victim of the low fat diets. But, I do have a question. Until recently, I was on a low fat diet and kept up with my nutritional info on the Slim Fast site. I noticed I wasn't getting enough fat in. So, I contacted the dietician and asked her about it. She said since I had a lot of excess fat on my body, that would be no problem since my body would burn the excess fat in it.

So, my question is, and I think I already know the answer to this, is do I still need to make my diet to be about 65% fat?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:31

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 281/231/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default pump up the fat

Hi,
Do you like pork crackling as a snack? If you buy some pork rind from the butcher, score it and rub in salt and some olive oil and then cook in a very hot oven on a rack for about 30 minutes. Makes a great crunchy snack and increases your fat intake. Crunchy things are what I miss Cheers Lyn
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:22
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Enough Fat

Rick, and other low-fat thinkers,

Your metabolism has to have an intake of fat in order to begin to burn fat. If you are not taking in lots of fat the metabolism will burn lean muscle. It burns carbs first and then fat or lean muscle, whichever is available. Eating fat forces the metabolism to burn fat. When your ingested fat is burned, it will burn body fat instead of muscle. And, heaven knows, most of us don't have muscle to spare!!

That's my understanding, anyway.

Barb
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:37

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

On the local news not long ago a doctor or nutritionist (can't remember her title) she said that doing the Atkins diet wasn't healthy because it weakened the heart muscle.... Could that be why? Not getting enough fat intake......
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:18

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

cincin11 ..lo fat combined with lo carb is bad for the muscles, so yes fat is the key to prevent your body from breaking down muscle. Read Karen's April 21 post for a good explanation of fat metabolism
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 01:44

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I worked hard to UP my fat today. Ate chicken wings and even dipped them in a sour cream dip.

I'll continue to work on this and try out some of your ideas. Any others most welcome! K