Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 23:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192.5/165/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Question Is Glycerine a carb ?

A lot of protein bars use glycerine as a sweetener and they do not count glycerine as a carb. Is this right ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 23:49

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well, technically in labeling laws if it's not protein or fat, it's a carb. They figure them out "by difference." The theory behind glycerine is that it's indigestable and will not raise blood sugar. It's another YMMV (your mileage may vary) thing. It may affect you, it may not. Doesn't affect me a bit as far as I can tell.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:30

Plan: Controlled Carb
Stats: 249/202/194 Male 74"
BF:I Kick Ass!
Progress: 85%

Glycerine threw me out of Ketosis and is definately an issue. Treat it as sugar.

And by the way, NET CARBS are bogus! The ONLY subtraction you can safely make from carbs, is fiber.

Be a LOSER!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/163/141 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I don't think it has any effect one way or the other.

http://www.ketofoods.com/updates/su...ol_article.html
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 12:15

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I have a DEFINITE glycemic reaction to glycerine. For my body... it is the same as sugar. Not good. I avoid bars at all costs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:59

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I can't answer the carb question. But, from exeperience, foods made with Glycerine have a horribly soggy texture...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: 205.5/169/138 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:50+/33/28
Progress: 54%

I am just coming to the reluctant conclusion that glycerine acts just about like any other carb in my body-- though I realize that is not the case for everyone. I have learned to leave sugar alcohols alone, but some bars (Atkins, some Ultra Lo-Carb, etc.) have glycerine but no sugar alcohols. Even these bars cause me to leave ketosis and not lose weight. So it's probably one of those things you are going to have to check out through experience to see what's true for you.

Does anyone know of a bar that includes no glycerine and no sugar alcohols??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:27

Plan: Controlled Carb
Stats: 249/202/194 Male 74"
BF:I Kick Ass!
Progress: 85%

I'm still looking for the ultimate bar; I don't believe there are any truly low-carb bars yet. I love the taste and convenience of bars, so I am always looking, and haven't given up yet! 14 grams of carb is about the lowest Atkins bar I have seen. I'm closely monitoring this thread if anyone knows a truly LC bar!

Criteria: 2 or 3 grams TOTAL carbs after subtracting fiber

Last edited by jaybo33 : Mon, May-26-03 at 06:30.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:39
Registered Member

Stats: 205.5/169/138 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:50+/33/28
Progress: 54%

I posted my question about a good bar as a new thread (looking for ms. or mr. good bar) and here is one exciting response -- bar recipes we can make ourselves that won't have sugar alcohols or glycerine, of course:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=105802

It makes great sense to me to try making my own, and there are an amazing number of recipes in this link.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:48

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I don't have any trouble with glycerin and treat it just like I would a sugar alchohol. I do subtract fiber and sugar alchohol and works fine for me. I do think that some people can't tolerate the sugar alcohol though. My friend hits the bathroom after two pieces of the Hershey's sf candy, while I could eat two servings (ten pieces) and end up with only a little gas (okay...I'm trying to make a point here...lol).

Keep an eye on it and see how it affects you, but don't jump to conclusions, either. I think sometimes people try something and if for some reason they don't get the results they want, they automatically assume it is that thing they tried rather than realize there could be a host of reasons they didn't get the results they wanted. At this point, I'm firmly with TES on the staller question.

L