Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 04:41

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Red face I'm sick...(not stupid) So can I eat wheat bagels? =0

Hi. I have a question..that I shouldn't be asking and probably nobody knows but um basically.. I have no thyroid and I'm not on thyroid meds anymore. I won't be for another 2 weeks because I still got to swallow a radioactive iodine pill to kill the leftover cancer cells in my neck.. I feel fine other then I have no appetite and the smell of almost every food is making me want to (even boring, broiled chicken)

I have like 5 appointments next week and I now get motion sickness in the car, so I've been eating a wheat bagel with 66grams of carbs from Dunkin Donuts only when I have to go out..it's blah tasting (which is what I need) and settles my stomach. I know I'm going to get bloated, I already am from the lack of meds...But I shouldn't gain 10lbs of fat from this should I? Basically just wondering how bad this is going to screw me. The wheat is atleat better then plain right? =0

I do try and atleast drink the Atkins shakes cause of the vitamins and stuff, but yeah they don't really help for the motion sickness.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Sat, May-24-03 at 04:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 05:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Slim, my husband went thru the same thing 5 years ago. I don't recall him getting sick from his treatment though. Having no thyroid is a b*tch though, I know what you are going thru. I too went thru chemo ten years ago, and anything that had an odor made me hurl. If that is the case with you, I suggest eating cold sliced meats, and cheeses. That pretty much got me thru it.

My husband is doing great, and has lost 10 pounds this winter from his modified version of low carbing. Less bread, and potatoes. Good luck. We are thinking of you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 05:56

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 162/147.5/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

I think given the circumstances you should do whatever it is your body needs to get you through this. If you have to eat a bagel so you won't get ill and lose precious disease fighting weight, than so be it. Your health and the ability to fight off the radiation is most important. If you're 10 pounds heavier when fiinished, so be it. As long as you're eating healthy, good carbs, I wouldn't stress at all!

Best of luck, a good friend of mine just went through this about 2 months ago and she is doing WONDERFULLY!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 08:11

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When you are sick and suffering and need something that your stomach will accept, go ahead and eat the bagel and don't worry about the carbs.

Carbs do have one very fine property: they help in healing.

Any weight that you put on will just be water which will soon leave when you get back on LC. (Eating starch carbs holds water in the intestinal tract and in the cells.)

Be really good to yourself as you get through these last hard days. Even chicken noodle soup would be OK for this week if that's what it takes to settle the tum. As the other posters indicate above, better days are coming for you. All the best.

#5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 09:25

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Have that bagel or whatever you need right now, worry about the carbs later. I had my thyroid removed in 1999 and it was the absolute worst operation I ever went thru. I could not talk for a month afterward. Please take care and don't worry about carbs right now.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 09:25

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Smile Have you tried

saltine crackers? Millions of pregnant women can't be wrong.
9gr of carb per svg, vs 66gr for a wheat bagel. But, given your circumstances, I'm sure no one here is going to bash you for doing what you need to do, to get through what you need to get through.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 06:43

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I've been thinking about you. Eat whatever makes you feel better. As Tofii said earlier, you can get back on the program when the time is right. Let us know how you are doing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Hey Junebug, I'm not going through chemo, but yeah.. that's exactly how I feel lol. Anything with a strong scent or taste makes me sick. I'm not eating much of anything really. I had 1 bagel and 2 atkins shakes Friday.....then slept the rest of the day.

I know everyone always says carbs are fine if you're sick... but ugh I still don't like doing it =/ I feel like it gives me an excuse to yoyo diet or cheat.

Also another question....

Atkins Shakes in the cans, those can only STALL people from losing, correct? They can't like make you gain right? Or do they not have an effect either way? I've never drank this many before, so just wondering