Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 118/115/112
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Atkins cures Acid Reflux: BE ON TV!

I had horrible acid reflux/GERD for a year and was seriously considering stomach surgery. An ENT doctor on the East Coast suggested trying a low-carb diet... and after 2 weeks, I was 100% cured.

I work for the local NBC News station in San Francisco, and I want to do this story. My GI doctor here had never heard that a low-carb diet can stop acid reflux... he had told me to cut out citrus, caffeine, etc., which did absolutely nothing to help me. I am looking to interview a patient, like myself, with a similar succes story. I think this news MUST be told... it seems very few people know that a simple switch to a low-carb diet can solve acid reflux problems, which affect so many people. My doctor didn't even know it. Getting the word out could save people thousands of dollars on medicine, tests, etc.

If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area and are willing to be on camera, or know someone who is, please email me!

MODERATOR NOTE: Edited to remove email address. Please do not publish email addresses in open forum.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%

OMG I was so glad to read this. I have only been on atkins for 2 days so I cant say if it has helped or not. But it seemed like everytime I thought I had it figured out what was causing my acid reflux then it would flare up whether I ate that item or not. First thought it was milk, then tomatoe sauce and all kinds of things but it would always come back. I do hope this is true because sometimes mine gets pretty bad.

Thanks for posting the info and I hope you find someone to help you out with your interview.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:32

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

It's true - I had been taking Prilosec for years for my heartburn - once I started this WOE, my symptoms went away. Now, if I eat anything too carby, I will get heartburn almost as soon as I swallow!!!

One thing I know that heartburn is the result of carbs is coffee. Before going on this WOL, I was always told that coffee caused heartburn. Now, I drink coffee by the pot (I'm a professional, don't do this at home! ) and, since low carbing, I still drink pots but don't ever get the heartburn!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Stats: 211/163/141 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am so glad to come across this thread!!!!

I am not in the San Francisco Bay Area but I can tell you that it's true.

I had never experienced heartburn or indigestion until was pregnant with my daughter. I have had it every day since she was born. She's almost 16 now!

I started taking Alka Seltzer and moved on to Tums and Rolaids then on to the Liquid Antacids. All these sent me "running to the restroom" several times a day.

A long time ago, a friend recommended baking soda and water. I guess that was about maybe 10 years ago. Up until about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was taking more than a dozen doses a day. Basically, every time I ate or drank anything (including water) I'd have to chase it with some baking soda and water.

I think in the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've taken it maybe twice. I was seriously wondering if this diet was the cure. Now I am certain!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:36

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am not in the Bay area, but I can attest to LC eating as a cure for acid reflux/chronic heartburn. My symptoms were slowly getting worse, and I was experiencing heartburn pretty much every night, and waking up with horrible acid reflux. I had just purchased a large-size bottle of Pepcid AC to keep by the bed, and was taking a tablet each night before bed when I started Atkins. I took two of the tablets, and the rest of the bottle is still on my bedstand!

But since starting Atkins, I have had NO instances of heartburn or acid reflux. NONE. NADA. My fiance's mother had surgery to correct this problem. If only she had known it could have been avoided by following an LC lifestyle, she may have been spared. From what I understand, the surgery still has not entirely cured her and she has other problems as a result.

No more acid reflux/heartburn has been one of the many unexpected but much appreciated "side effects" of this wonderful WOE. I hope your story gets out, and I hope we have the opportunity to see it nationwide!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Stats: 290/228/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 62%

i was getting reflux worse and worse, if i ate any meat ( or thought it was it) especially pizza my old fav it would hit me after about 20 min and last all night.

I started this 2+weeks ago and i have not had reflux or heartburn once .

plus i am also not gassy as i was another good side effect according to my family
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:11

BF:

Thank you all for your input. Since the moderator deleted my email address, please respond to this post if you want to be part of this story, and I will get in touch with you.

I am still amazed that this diet has cured my reflux. For a year, I had a dry cough, and would choke and dry heave out of nowhere, around the clock, no matter what I ate or did not eat. It was the worst thing I've ever experienced. Nexium, Prevacid, Tagament... nothing worked. Needless to say I am VERY happy and look forward to sharing this important story!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

These posts about the heartburn are another shining example of the great value of this forum. I have been having the same problems as all of you folks. As soon as I started Atkins, all my acid reflux/heartburn symptoms disappeared! No more Tums! I could never take baking soda because of its HUGE sodium content.

So happy to have read this post, and to be a part of this wonderful group of sharing, caring people!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:53

Stats: 252/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

my acid reflux and heart burn has gone away also, its so nice not to wake up in the middle of the night with acid reflux
also my snoring has calmed down alot too
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%

I had heartburn and acid reflux so bad that in the middle of the night I would wake up and vomit. Once or twice at work I had to vomit after lunch. I was prescribed Tagamet and told to go to a low fat diet. , omit caffeine, chocolate etc. The Tagamet helped a little, but I still had bouts. When I went on Atkins I was sympton free and no longer needed medication and have enjoyed fatty things likes butter, bacon, mayo etc. Another thing I have noticed is that my hair was falling out on a low fat diet. Once I went on Atkins, there's very little hair going down the drain!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 14:27

BF:

Napalil: Will you talk to us on camera?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 16:27

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I am a 26 yr old female and have had acid reflux since I was 18. My parents have it and I seemed to inherit it also. I am a smoker and a social drinker, and I was eating TONS of Carbs. I was just using TUMs or pepcid all the time-I had a bottle in my car, next to my bed, at work--just in case. I went to the doctor about 4 years ago and he gave me Prevacid. It worked while I was taking it but then my perscription ran out. Since I have been Low carbing I have the occasional heartburn. Not nearly as bad as before. I seem to only get it now when I drink.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 17:57
Registered Member

Stats: 155/124/105 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I'm not in your area either, but my reflux and heartburn are no longer an issue! It took me about 2 1/2 weeks and then I realized it was gone.
Great benefit!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 18:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:

FYI Baycity You can send and receive private messages after you have made 25 posts. Unless they choose to block you.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 21:17

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up Me too!

I have had ingestion and acid reflux since I was in college. I'm now 53. It was SO bad two years ago, that I had to prop myself up in bed to sleep without my food backing up. I was living on Tums, Imoduim AD and Tagamet. Two weeks into Atkins, GONE. I have now been on Atkins for 16 months and the health benefits alone motivate me to make this my WOE forever!! I am so thankful to have found this way of eating.

Kathy