Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 13:30

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default I've moved to CALP from Atkins

I started out adding fruit, since I love fresh summer berries. I get about 1/4 cup w/ heavy cream and splenda after dinner. Last night was the first carbs in a while. I had 4 wheat crackers with cream cheese.

I must tell you that I am just starting over. I've been doing low-carb on and off, mostly off, for over three years. I've got a horrible sugar addiction. Even the smallest taste and I am ravenous for more.

But, this time is different. I've got all my stuff going in the same direction. I'm exercising every day (low-impact aerobic workout) and NO sugar. I did Atkins for a week, then moved to CALP. I've gone from 301 on the 14th of May to 292 as of this morning. Most of that is water weight. Thanks to Atkins that excess water goes away pretty quickly. I also went off the pill a couple of days ago and that caused another drop of excess water.

Like I said, I am no expert. But, I have been around the block. I've been going 90 miles an hour on induction, and I've been face down in the muck, with no idea how to get out again.

The big thing has been a Diabetes scare. I was told in no uncertain terms that if I didn't shape up, in three months it was guaranteed that I would have Diabetes. I am that close.

My biggest advice - if you are going to slowly add carbs into your program, be very picky about which ones you allow in. Stick to veggies, or really seriously whole grains. Fruit too, if it doesn't make you crazy. I am lucky in that respect. If I stick to low-glycemic index fruit I am ok. Think mainly berries.

Definitely get enough fiber. I've learned that you don't 'go' all that much on low-carb plans unless you get a lot of veggies. Something that gets to be a problem for me. So, I supplement with Metamucil. Helps a lot.

Also, another big suggestion - take measurements of several areas of your body. Then, you can refer back every month or two and see how you are doing there too. Some people report that they still shrink in inches, even though the scale isn't moving. Do this now, and it might hold off a binge from disappointment at the scale not moving.

I have to NOT weigh myself to be successful. If I weigh and see it go up, or not move at all, then I get really disappointed. That carb voice starts talking. I'm aiming for once a week or a month - when I can work up to that. The scale also becomes an addiction when you are trying to lose weight.

I think each plan is pretty individual. You should try one for a month, see how you feel, how your hunger level is, how it addresses your cravings. How you lose weight, inches, etc. If you are happy, and making progress, then stick to it. I personally like CALP very much, and I'm incorporating Suzanne Somers delicious recipes because I think some of her ideas are awesome. I can't wait for macaroni and cheese. With egg noodles of course. Spinach bread for sandwiches. Lasagna. And, let's not forget the sweet stuff. I'd like to perfect a cake recipe so I can make birthday celebrations legal for me. I will always love sweets. But, they don't love me. So, it is my personal mission in life to find substitutes for all my favorite grub.

I'll pass on any recipes I come up with.

I think the biggest message when it comes to low-carb is that refined products are unhealthy. Stick to real food, leaning on veggies, lean proteins, and you'll be good.

Melissa