Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Should I Weigh Myself w/Digital Scale B4 or After Morning Shower?

Was just wondering if the digital scale employed a similar technology to the body fat scale. In discussions of body fat scales, I've seen people say to make sure you're adequately hydrated for a proper reading. Out of curiosity, I weighed myself before I stepped in the shower and again after I got out of the shower. The "after shower" reading was .5 lb. less than the "before shower" reading. Does my wet hair make a difference? My scale is just an all-digital scale. Or should I just be consistent - just always weigh myself either before or after the shower? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:10

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I always weigh myself before I take a shower, because I have rather long hair and it holds quite some weight in water. Also, I generally weigh about 1/2 hour after I get up in the morning, before I've had anything to eat or drink.

I don't know how scientific it is, but it seems to work for me and I think weighing at consistent times and in consistent conditions is probably the best way to get an accurate reading.
  #3   ^

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have read that you are supposed to weigh in at the same time everyday and I think this is true because I get up at 4:30 with my husband every morning and i weigh at least 2 pounds more than I do at 9:30 (when I get back up) So I weigh myself at 9:30 every morning to get an accurate weight.

Im sure that wet hair would make up for the difference, even tho it isnt dripping wet.
  #4   ^

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I would suggest picking one (before or after) and then stick to that. Personally, my hair holds quite a bit of water post-shower, so I usually do my weighing post-pee, pre-shower. I think the body fat scales use water in our bodies to measure fat percentages- something about the little pulses that travel through our bodies. As far as I know, my digi scale is just like my analog scale- step up and hold your breath. I wouldn't worry too much about being adequately hydrated.

There's my $.02 for the day!

HTH-
Nikki
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Quote:
I usually do my weighing post-pee, pre-shower.

I'm with you, Nikki - that is my weigh in window also!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:30

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Just weigh the same time of day each time you get on the scale, in the same condition of dress or undress. You may want to consider weighing only once a week due to daily fluctuations that can occur. Wegh more often and you can make youself miserable if you focus only on weight.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 249/229/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Post-pee, pre-shower and naked. Even take off my rings and watch
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:21

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm with Tbird. I like it to be smallest weight, and that is my thinnest time!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%
Default stripped

Quote:
Originally posted by TBird710
Post-pee, pre-shower and naked. Even take off my rings and watch

HEHE I do too! My Boyfriend thinks I am nuts! Glad I am not the only one!
Sarah
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 11:55

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

"Was just wondering if the digital scale employed a similar technology to the body fat scale"---------------------

The two are completely different and the moisture content of your body should make not matter on a regular digital scale. There are two things that would cause variation pre and post shower, however. You have a considerable loss of skin cells in the shower, but also hydration that would cancel out any loss of weight from that. It would be expected that if your hair was still wet, you should weigh more, and not less. So, what’s up?

The bigger variable is the temperature and humidity of the area the scale is in. Digital scales are effected (some more that others) by these variables in their accuracy and will tend to read slightly higher in dry cool areas compared to hot humid ones...sort of like your bathroom is before then after a shower. If that is where the scale is, it will give a different reading for anyone before and after the shower is used.
This could be the reason for an apparent loss after a shower. Nothing is simple, is it?

At any rate, eliminate the variables and weigh in under the same conditions each time. The phase of the moon and planetary positions can be ignored .

T.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 12:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thanks for all your replies!

Quote:
The bigger variable is the temperature and humidity of the area the scale is in.

TES, this really seems to make sense to me. I knew I couldn't miraculously lose 1/2 a lb. by showering (if it were that easy, we'd all be showering many times a day, LOL). Thanks! I probably will opt for the morning weigh pre-shower, if I shower first thing in the morning. That way, I can weigh myself always at the same time. I don't shower first thing every day, some days I shower midday. Happy LCing!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:12

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Default Weight reduction at night...

As opposed to starting a new thread, this one seem on topic enough for my question (but if a mod feels otherwise, feel free to split the thread. )

What is a normal amount of weight to lose while sleeping?

I just started the Atkin's diet yesterday. The night before I started I went out and bought a set of scales. Just the cheepo $15 analogue bathroom scales (with the dial that turns when you step on the scale).

When I got home (about 9:30 pm) I weighed myself. The result was what I pretty much expected -- 170 lb.

I then weighed myself first thing in the morning (post-pee and post-shower, I think ) but I weighed 165 lb. Is this possible, or is my investment in cheepo scales the problem?

So, last night before going to bed (after jogging and showering) I weighed 168 lb. And this morning, I weighed 165 lb.

I'm guessing that weighing myself at night is not giving a true measure, but I'm not feeling too confident in the scales I bought either. Losing 3-5 lb in my sleep seems too extreme!

Any thoughts?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:16

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I fluctuate anywhere between 2-4 lbs. overnight. I weigh just before bed to give me an idea of what to expect the next day.

Weighing at night does not give a true measure- IMHO. There's too many variables that can throw it off-- food intake, water consumed, working out, etc. I may weigh every day, even twice a day, but I only record my weigh-in from Sunday mornings.

HTH-
Nikki
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:30

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerdy
I fluctuate anywhere between 2-4 lbs. overnight. I weigh just before bed to give me an idea of what to expect the next day.

Weighing at night does not give a true measure- IMHO. There's too many variables that can throw it off-- food intake, water consumed, working out, etc. I may weigh every day, even twice a day, but I only record my weigh-in from Sunday mornings.

HTH-
Nikki

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks!