Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/181/150
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default grocery shopping

I am getting ready to go to the store to start this diet. Can some of you give me some good items to purchase. Just in general, what are some good foods for like snacks.

Should I buy the deli meats or the ones already packaged?

Also I was wondering about the eggs. Seems like you eat alot of eggs on this diet, doesnt it effect your cholestorol?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:50
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Question Slimfast is not allowed on Atkins...

If you decide to stop doing slimfast and try Atkins, the book gives a whole list of foods that are allowed. You will be astonished at the variety of things you CAN eat and lose weight.

Atkins WOE shopping (for me) includes several cartons of eggs, canned salmon and tuna, a big carton of whipping cream, full-fat cream cheese, butter, olive oil, pork rinds, a cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli, bagged salads (without carrots), Marie's Super Blue Cheese dressing, full-fat mayo, a good selection of frozen vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower or red/yellow/green peppers or stir fry vegetable mixes, full-fat cheese, spices, club soda, bottled water, Torani or Davinci SF flavored syrups, Splenda packets, bacon, full-fat sour cream, ground beef, olives, avocados, a can or two of pumpkin, etc.

Also, cholesterol does not come from food you eat...it is manufactured in your body. The Atkins WOE has been shown to lower cholesterol.

Last edited by GrlyGrl : Wed, May-21-03 at 08:51.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:52

BF:

I am already surprised at what all you can eat. My aunt is on the diet and she told me you could eat hot dogs, with out the bun of course and I couldnt believe it.

Thanks for you list.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:04
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default yes -- hot dogs, too...

Yes -- Hot Dogs! (in moderation though because they have a lot of salt and I retain water very easily) In fact you just reminded me -- I have to pick up some all beef hotdogs for the Memorial Day holiday.

In general, I try to limit my intake of processed meats because it is hard to find them without nitrates added -- that's a Dr. A suggestion. But I still occasionally eat hot dogs and sausage...and I love them!

You can buy packaged meats -- just be sure to read the package and check for added sugars, nitrates, etc. Deli meats are great, too, but I think they can sometimes be expensive.

Good Luck with this WOE -- you'll enjoy it. Does your Aunt enjoy the Atkins WOE?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:12

BF:

My aunt enjoys losing the weight. I dont think she mentioned the WOE. She is a little bigger than I am. Last I had talked to her she was losing about 2 pounds a week.

It is a big step for me to go off slim fast and try this diet. I have done well with the slim fast, but I am just bored with it. I dont think I would get bored with the atkins diet. It will be really hard to give up mashed potatoes and bread tho. I am determined to try it tho as soon as I get myself off this computer and get to the store, lol.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:18

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

For snacky things I love cellery w/cream cheese, pork rinds w/cream cheese, just plain cream cheese (not really lol).

I get these huge bags of not breaded chicken strips in the frozen section and fry up big batches of them every couple days. They are great finger foods, or you can cut them up and put in salads or stir fry or anything. You can put different seasonings on them every time like mexican, lemon pepper, italian. Dip them in beaten egg and then parmasan cheese and herbs and bake for crispy cutlets. I couldn't live w/o them.

Good luck and have fun shopping and eating all the great stuff LC has to offer!

Jamian
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction (again!)
Stats: 320/256/180
BF:no/frickin'/idea
Progress: 46%

Also, check your hot dogs for cereal fillers!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:20

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Hi Stacy

Some good advice given to you. Try a low carb recipe or two every week. My first suggestion would be our breakfast meal six days a week, Donald's Deep Dish Pizza Quiche. We love the stuff. We make it on Sunday and eat in for breakfast. It beats having to make breakfast every motning. We also pack our lunches the night before. Planning ahead, I feel, is very important to success doing LCing.

Cheers!

BrewWA
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:21

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Just read your last post (must have gone up while I was typing mine) about mashed potatoes. I know it sounds kind of wierd, but try making mashed cauliflower. It's bland and white, and something to put butter and gravy on, or cheese, or whatever.

Jamian
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:21

BF:

the chicken strips recipe sounds really good. i could eat chicken every day of my life. i will try that.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:24

BF:

im not sure about the mashed cauli. I am not a huge veggie fan, potatoes and carrots are my favorite and neither of them are allowed. Does it taste anything like mashed potatoes? Or does it just trick your mind into thinking you are eating mashed potatoes, lol.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:24
Registered Member

Stats: 180/130/120
BF:
Progress: 83%

When I go shopping I always buy: eggs, bacon, cheese, meat from the deli, H2O, and lettuce for salad. You have to watch some of the meat from the deli because it can have hidden carbs.
I buy oscar meyer cheese hotdogs. I try to buy a variety of meat like hamburgers, chicken and steak. I eat a lot of shrimp too, but that depends on your budget. I like to keep some beef sticks in the frig too either for a snack or a quick lunch. Prok Rinds are a good thing to have for a snack. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Good Luck, at first it takes a lot of time to do your shopping because you're always reading lables, but it gets easier.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:26

BF:

Mrs. Eldon, you have lost alot of weight. Has it been on the atkins diet? How long have you been on it?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:32

BF:

Well you all have motivated me. I am off here and going to the store. I will be back tomorrow and list the things that I have eaten and I hope you will be here to help me. I am new to the diet and will need alot of help. I dont have the book yet but have been reading on the website. I live in a small town and the library is a completely different direction as the store so I wont be able to get the book today.

Thanks again for all your advice.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:46
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I go shopping for a week at a time and always get at least one cut of chicken, beef, and pork. Other staples for me include:

- half and half
- a dozen eggs
- bacon
- broccoli
- mushrooms
- avocado
- asparagus
- 2 bags of pre-chopped salad greens
- can of chicken broth
- can of diced tomatoes
- pre-cooked sliced chicken (section with pre-packaged sandwich meats. Really great for adding to a salad)
- jar of olives
- blue cheese or ranch dressing
- cheddar cheese
- berries (after Induction)
- peanuts, cashews (after Induction)