Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Angry VERY SCARED - Panic Attacks

Okay...it's me...the girl who accidently got the Diatix! The long-awaited doctor's appointment is Thursday at 1:30pm....hahaha 14 hrs+ after eating! I will probably have a tbls of butter or creme cheese at 8am.

Here is the "end-all". As of 10 days ago...my daily average BG was 120......as of last Friday...with the IN-LAWS here...it was 200. I feel that stress in mounting...mounting....ALSO

I feel like ...more than my own family...I want to tell you guys the results.....wish me luck!

Thanks for being here!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Hope your doctor visit goes well.

Did you know that stress can raise your blood sugar? Yup.
OTOH, without knowing more about what your daily menu looks like, it's hard to know whether it's stress, diet or both causing the increase.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 23:46

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

You may also want to go to the pharmacy and pick up a holistic formula called "Rescue Remedy". That will help a LOT with the panic attacks. If you find you are under a lot of constant stress you may also want to add a cortisol lowering herbal supplement. I take both and they have helped a lot. I also take an herbal adrenal support supplement called DSF by Nutri-West. It tastes awful, but really helps. I can actually 'feel' it work.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 22:15

BF:
Default Doctor Update

Thank You Kyturner! I will pick those up at GNC on 20% off day next week!

Well, I somehow survived the doctor's appointment. I must admit it was rather anticlimactic. Pretty weird actually. Too long to go into completely, but I did whip out my glucometer when they said they had no "testing devices" in the office. My BG was 145...it had been 220 the night before (many Xanaxs before). My BP was 141/88. Doctor told me that BP and BG would come down if I lost weight (I weighed 220 in his office...guess I need to change my profile).

My daughter went in with me and told him she wanted to buy me a membership to Crunch for my birthday. He said "Good Deal". I said..."Don't I need a stress test or something?" He said I would be fine, but gave me the names of some pretty fancy Endo's here in Atlanta, GA. Bruce Bode??? Anyway...said they would need to order any tests like that, as he is a OB/GYN. He did give me a prescription for Metformin 500 tabs.

I have been taking a tab with dinner over the weekend, but I am not sure I should be since he didn't order any bloodwork to check my kidneys, etc. Plus...they are giving me some "gastly" problems.

My husband thinks I should just go to a brand new doctor and get a complete physical before I take anything. So...that's where I am at right now.

Any thoughts? BG is back in the 140's today and I lost 5lbs over the weekend.

Hope everyone had a really good Holiday Weekend!

Last edited by Sherrielee : Mon, May-26-03 at 22:18.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 03:09

BF:

I can help you with the 'ghastly' problem. Get him to give you Glucophage XR (extended release). Either form of Glucophage/metformin is very very safe, unless you already have kidney disease, in which case you'll need your doc to monitor your levels. The XR version does not cause the 'ghastly' problems because it releases the medication much more slowly--and also helps to regulate your bg better too.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:49

BF:
Default Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice, I am not asking that doctor for anything else. Plus, I am cutting the tabs in half...250 in the morning...250 at night, like Dr. Bernstein advises in his book. Blood Glucose was 75 last night when I came home from the gym.

The tummy problems are gone. After I come back fro vacation, I am seeing a new doctor.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 00:29

BF:

If your new doc agrees to put you on the XR version of Glucophage, you only take them once a day and do NOT cut them in half. It renders the XR part useless and they then become just 500 mg of metformin. (Including the 'ghastly' problems)