Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:26

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 244/216/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default For those who read the "Coconut Oil" article in Womans World magazine

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

Hey there's a woman who I believe goes by the name on here.. Redonecutie. She's in the R-S section in journals and it's close to that name. She uses it and it's in her menues. You might wanna browse her journal and ask her if it's working for her. She has been doing it for awhile.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:39

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 244/216/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks. I will find her and read. I just posted so people could have more info about it. Personally I have not tried it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 16:11

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default plain old coconut

i was stalled, (im also on thyroid meds) i started the oil but way too expensive so in my scientific mind i said where does coconut oil come from ....... yep coconut

my version of coconut oil is a can of coconut milk, unsweetened .
i take 1 c per day, it has same amt of oil as the oil, only slight down fall, it has 4 g of carbs, but it is way more palatable, and so much more versitile, another thing u can do is take in unsweetened shreeded coconut flesh, (similar to milk but not sure on the exact numbers) and let me tell ya, since i started the milk, my wt has been coming off religiously, im so greatful to have found coconut.... good luck
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: carbohydrade addict
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

NURSEGAL, how did you find out that 1 cup of coconut milk has the same amount of oil? What does it tast like? I have tried the virgin coconut oil, but can't get past the taste or smell. Also do you just drink the coconut milk straight? If it really is the same, then I will try the milk for sure! Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Coconut milk is cheaper than the oil? I can get a jar of coconut oil here (when it's in stock) for around $5.00 per jar and that would last me 9 or 10 days, but the coconut milk is $1.50 per can which contains only slightly more than 1 cup. That's a lot more than the oil! I'll have to look around and see if I can find the coconut milk cheaper. Since you can't get the oil anywhere around here right now, the coconut milk might be a good second choice.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:20

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Thanks to nursegal for the coconut milk suggestion. I can get the Spectrum Naturals refined/deodorized organic coconut oil, but the stuff tastes like machine oil when heated (acrid and bitter is how someone else on these boards described it). Nevertheless, it's great for my skin, so I hold my nose and drink the bare minimum I can to avoid severely dry skin.

But throwing coconut milk into my daily shake and my faux malto-meal (psyllium husks, walnuts, cinnamon, cumin, water, and stevia) has been a nice change of pace. And, it's boosted my magnesium and potassium intake.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Self imposed lowering of carb intake
Stats: 214/189/145 Female 5'3"
BF:As IF I'm tellin'!
Progress: 36%
Default Unsweetened coconut milk

I was intrigued by the article as well. I'm also on thryoid medication, and have been low-carbing for a week. Where do you purchase unsweetened coconut milk? I've not looked for it, but have never really noticed it in the supermarkets. I'm hoping you'll say you buy it at a grocery store, as anything that has to be purchased in a health food store is terribly overpriced.

Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 17:06

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Well, here in the East Bay of the Bay Area, I can get it at three places:
  • Whole Foods (Thai Kitchen, $1.59/14 oz.can) (True Nature, $1.39/14 oz. can)
  • Safeway (forget the brand-- some Thai name, 1.09/13.5 oz. can)
  • Country Square Market (forget the brand-- some Thai name, gf bought it)

The one at Safeway is too sweet (though sugar isn't listed in the ingredients, I suspect it's there) for my tastes. The CSM brand is actually salty--bleah!. So, it's the Thai Kitchen for most things, and the Safeway brand for curries for now.

I will try the True Nature Brand in the next week. I'll post my experience in this thread.

Last edited by acohn : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 13:32.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Self imposed lowering of carb intake
Stats: 214/189/145 Female 5'3"
BF:As IF I'm tellin'!
Progress: 36%

Thanks, I'll know what to look for the next time I get to Dallas, since I don't think our grocery stores carry it. I will check on the ethnic food aisles here, just to be sure, though.