Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/205/155
BF:
Progress: 21%
Unhappy Gained 9 lb in 2 days & not losing it. In Ketosis. Here's my 2 day menu

I gained the weight about 4 days ago and haven't lost it yet
Day 1 (Am I right in subtracting fiber from carb total to get countable carb totals?)
Breakfast
2 sausage patties (2)
2 eggs(1.2)
1 flax seed muffin (.5)

Lunch
7-8 ozs Skirt Steak (1)
with spices
splenda sweetened Hansens Soda (0)

Dinner
7-8 ozs More Skirt Steak (1)
1 cup Celery (2.3 carbs)
Blue Cheese Dressing (2)

Snacks
1 slice roast beef (1)
2 flax seed muffins (1)
1/2 Low Carb Chocolate bar (.5)
Low carb shake (2)

Day 2
Breakfast
3 porkrind pancakes (2)
butter (0)
Homemade low carb syrup (0)
made with stevia

Lunch
1 chicken thigh (0)
1 chicken leg (0)
2 flax seed muffins (1)
butter (0)

Dinner
1 chicken thigh (0)
1 chicken leg(0)
7 oz iceberg lettuce (4- 2.65fiber= 1.35carbs?)
blue cheese dressing (4.5)

Snacks
4 cups pork rinds (1)
1 flax seed muffin(.5)
low carb candy (I know I shouldn't have) (6 carbs this was a whoops, I didn't realize there were so many carbs in it!)
BTW How do I post my picture? And How do I view journals to see people menus? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Saurus...

there is no realistic way that you could have gained 9 pounds of fat in 2 days eating what you have listed above. To gain 1 pound of fat, you need to consume 3,500 more calories than you burned or about 31,500 more calories than you burned in your case. Your menu above doesn't lead me to believe that's the case. My guess would be water retention from something (my guess would be the sausage and the pork rinds...both are pretty high in sodium).
The best way to deal with that if that is the case is to cut back on the salty foods and make sure that you are drinking plenty of water.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I see a lot of things under the "snack" catagory. I'd try cutting a few things out of that if you can help it. None of them are bad, really. It just seems like a lot. If you're hungry during the day, then maybe you should start switching to 4 or 5 small meals instead of 3 big ones.

Those pork rinds are killer in the sodium department. That could be making you retain water (which is what this HAS to be).

Other than that and the muffins (I don't know anything about the flaxseed muffins) it looks pretty good to me. I honestly don't think that's fat that you've gained. It HAS to be water.

Btw, how do you make porkrind pancakes and homeade syrup? I'd love to have something other than eggs for a day. LOL.

Hang in there, hun. What goes up must come down.

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 22:01

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I don't see alot of veggies? they should be a good part of your carbs, but most of your carbs seem to be coming from the muffins, pancakes and lots ofsalt in those pork rinds.
I 'd be adding more veggie, like cauliflower/ broccolli/asparagus and watch the shakes and bars.

Good Luck, Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 22:56
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb

Hi,

I tend to agree with Kathy54 about the muffins and bars and such. They could be the culprit particularly if you are consuming them on a daily basis. I would steer clear of them for awhile and see if the weight starts coming off. Maybe having them as an occassional treat would be more beneficial to you. Get more of your carbs from veggies. I dont have any of the muffins bars or anything. My treat is sugar free jello with whipped topping on occassion. I figure the quicker I get to my goal weight then on occassion I can treat myself to these goodies.... in a low carb way of course......lol!

We can do this together !!!

Support = Success

Traci
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Are you drinking any water? Have you begun taking any prescription medications?

I echo what others have posted. You could be one of those people that react to sugar alcohols as if they were carbs and the sodium in pork rinds and sausage. Both will make you retain water.

I would also scrutinize the count on the flax muffins. Unless they are about 1-inch around and made with nothing but flax, water and fat, it's not quite possible that they're .5 grams each. If you make them yourself, you may be assuming that flax meal is 0 carbs from reading the label on the flax.

Quote:
And How do I view journals to see people menus?

You can either click the journal icon at the bottom of anyone's post or go to the journal forum and scroll through.
Quote:
How do I post my picture?

It's all right here.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 07:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/205/155
BF:
Progress: 21%

Karen,
I hope it is not the muffins that are causing problems. I really need them, for err regularity. The flax seed muffin contain flaxseed, soy protien isolate, oil, egg, water and stevia. There is 1/4 c flax seed per 6 muffins and as far as I can tell, that was the only ingredient containing carbs plus the .6 from the egg. Does that sound right?
I am drinking a lot of water and not taking any medications. I am trying to begin exercising. And guess what? The weight came back off as of this morning!
I sure do appreciate everyone's advice and posts.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The muffins I make are pretty similar but I use soy milk as the liquid which is really low in carbs and soy isolate. The count comes out to about 2.9 grams per muffin. But, you should enjoy them. They're still pretty low on the carb ladder! Spinach can aslo help with regularity.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:21

Stats: 205/195/135
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I just want to thank you

for posting about your gain. I am in a similar position. I lost 10 lbs. the first 2 weeks, then have gained 5 the last 2! granted I am smack in the middle of my TOM, so I have been waiting to see how that changes things. BUT, I also added in SF treats after induction. I fear that is the real culprit. I'm pretty mad at myself for getting hooked on that stuff since it was hard to break the sugar habit the 1st 2 weeks, but I did it. I am sad that I am one of those who cannot tolerate the sugar free stuff. I just have to break the snack habit altogether. That is a tough ticket, but I am completely committed to losing weight so I will do it!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:47
Registered Member

Stats: 290/228/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I am by far not an expert but what i have read I believe you need to make sure you are eating enough carbs as well
Day 1 i counted 14.5 carbs
Day 2 even with the candy i counted 16

YOu are drinking alot of water correct?
More vegetables?
are you regular? could be your full of ~~~~
( sorry i was and that is what my wife tells me until i made sure i ate my veggies and added potassium)

again no expert here just going off of my very limited knowledge.

Maybe someone with more information can verify the needing more carbs theory i am tossing into the wind.

I cant find the post or the reference but not having enough carbs does not help at all
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:02

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Thumbs up

There are calorie-free ways to be regular. I take the generic fiber capsules (compare to FiberCon). Got the idea from someone on one of these boards.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:57

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%
Default wow

You made your original post on one day and the next that your wt came off. WOW! You lost 9 lbs. in one day? Outstanding. I wish I could do that. I would be at goal in, like a week.