Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Stallers in order of their power

I had a hard time finding a title.

I hope to get LOTS of opinions on this thread. Here's the question.

For the entire population of Atkins followers, (not you personally), from what you have read, in which order would you place the most common stalling agents; going from the WORST common stalling agents to the LEAST likely to stall most people?

My guess goes something like this:

Bars (worst)
Shakes
alcohol ??
Too much cheese/cream
Too many calories, (for those in the last 20 pounds)

(I'm forgetting some)

Aspertame
Coffee (least likely to stall most folks)

Remember, this is NOT you....this is MOST PEOPLE...from the information you have learned here and other reliable sources.

I'm really interested to hear the results of this, as it seems my order of how much I avoid these stallers seems to be related to how much "power" I perceiv they have to stall me.

I sure hope that made sense.
Please, if you have any good grip on this, post your list.

thanks so much
Ann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

don't forget nuts, they should go in there somewhere
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:09

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Caffeine?

Aspartame products?

Spenda Products?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

My guess would be this....

Bars
Aspertame
coffee
Shakes
Too much cream/cheese
Too many calories
Alcohol

My list doesn't reflect what I think causes more stalls in and of themselves. I believe that it comes from the most common mistakes of overuse. (ie, discovering LC bars and thinking they're fine for every day use because of the low net carb count).

I think that most of these things are fine in moderation, but will most definately cause a stall with excessive use.

~Angi~
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:29

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Wow!

No list, but some needed comments.

I don't want to put a damper on this one, but I think the whole "stall thing" is highly over rated and may be only an urban legend.

What really effects the action of this way of eating is probably as simple as calories consumed verses calories burned. Yes, I know that studies show that a person consuming the same amount of calories LF versed LC gives different results, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that a lot of folks seem to think that there is some food that will cause their body to stop loosing weight. And yes, I believe there is too. That food is anything in too big a quantity coupled with not enough exercise.

I think that exercise is more of an issue than most want to think it is, and would rather believe that eating some "stalling agent" is the reason for lack of continued results.

This diet was originally conceived to be effective and quite simple, with success for most, just by the following of some simple dietary choices. I don’t think that Dr. Atkins himself
would have been bothered by such activities as keeping a daily record of all that entered his mouth, yet alone want to see a pie chart or percentage breakdown.

The rules are simple and easy to follow.

It would seem most logical that it is ones own bodily response to a mixture of events that causes weight loss to slow down or plateau for a time period. I am not talking about resistance to weight loss because of medications or metabolism, but the event many refer to as “stalls” in their expected losses over time.

Do some of you really believe there are special foods that when they touch your lips magically stop weight loss?

I have found the best way to reactivate the event is to just park the car farther from the grocery store, buy only acceptable foods, and then go for a 2 hour bike ride after putting the groceries away. And rather than messing with fitday or wondering why I haven’t lost a pound this week I just go for another walk or lift weights until I regain my senses.

The less I weigh, the more exercise I need to continue loosing with the same caloric intake. You see, burning of calories is a physical thing and if you are moving less weight around, you don’t burn as many calories. That’s why the heaver you are, the faster you loose….at least initially, and then it slows down unless you speed up. Think about this concept a minute.

I am a man of science and I don't mean to over simplify this whole thing, but this is really a simple way of eating and overanalyzing it will not change the biological facts.

This is not a fragile eating plan.
But then, what fun would it be if we thought that tweaking and fixing was pointless and the real fixing we should be concerned with is our activity level and not exceeding a proper calorie intake for that activity level.

Had to get it out...don't mean to be a party pooper

Best to all.
T.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:31
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Tes... that may have some credibility for some but this is very personal.

For me I need more calories or my body holds onto the pounds. The 10-12X my weight is too low for me.

Just like everything with low carb, it seems everything you understood about nutrition is different with low carbing. And that I believe totally.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:38

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Tes,
I think you have some very valid points. I too am guilty about wondering whether i am having 2 ounces too much cream per day, when really exercise should be much more of a focus. I think you are absolutely right about our bodies not being as sensitive as we might think....
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:41

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Too many sweet treats in a day
Too many veggies in a day
Too much bacon or salty foods
Not enough water for long periods of time
Too much cream cheese.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 14:46

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Post No-No's

I can't really comment on others, just me, & that would be too many nuts. I would also say "hidden" sugars & too many calories.

Just a l'il note re this, much to my pleasure, I tested out how regular chocolate would affect me, after I was given some for Easter. Turns out I can eat some (not a whole bunny!) & not gain! But I am now struggling with being careful to not eat a whole bar!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 15:16
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

I think everyone has to find what works best for them in the LC WOL. I haven't had a problem with eating bars and shakes or aspertine (sp?) the last of which is maybe a once a week thing. I drink coffe and have an Atkins shake almost daily. I think it is all about finding your own balance on the system and making it work for you. I loose steadily with no problems I also hit the gym everday as well and can't have any diet soda until I have drank my water for the day.

Good luck!

#11   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 15:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Do sf chocolates and sf candies count under LC bars, or are they worthy of their own spot on the list? I'm thinking of LC bars like the Atkins Advantage bars or protein bars.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 270/232/145
BF:
Progress: 30%

Be careful with "sugar free", just because it is sf doesn't mean it isn't loaded with carbs.

The bars I eat are all LC candy bars or Advantage Bars. Mostly made with sugar alcohols instead of refined sugars. There are tons of LC treats on the maket you just have to find what works for you. I would say about 80-90 percent of my daily carbs come from Vegies. Everyone just needs to find their balance and what works for them.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:00

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

Anything with too much salt!! ie) Nuts, Pork Rinds, Bacon

All of these cause me to retain water no matter how much I'm drinking.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 18:25

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm with TES !
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 18:51

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Wow, "stall" has become quite the hot ticket word around here since I last perused this site. Seems like people are really falling back on this word as soon as they don't see any scale movement for a week or two.

Our bodies have to adjust to weight loss and they don't like it, so they try and maintain a level weight for as long as they can before letting go of more, especially the closer you are to goal. A true stall is when you don't lose any weight (or lose and gain the same couple of pounds) for SIX WEEKS OR MORE. Anything less is just, well, our body being stubborn. The first time I did Atkins, I would not lose for three weeks or so, than WOOSH, and five pounds would be gone. This happened over and over again until I reached goal (about six months for me).

Now the fact that I gained it all back and then some is a totally different story!!!

~Shelly