Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 21:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Shashimi anyone?

I love sushi rolls!(to many carbs with the rice). So I started on shashimi! As long as it is the higher end fish (expensive here) it is FABU!!! I always see the puke face when someone mentions sushi in here... Any Japaneese raw fish lovers here? If so any other tips on cuttin out the carbs and eating exotic?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 21:55

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I love sushi too.. just had sashimi today, on a small bed of shredded daikon and with the usual soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger. I know the ginger probly has sugar in it, but I don't eat a ton of it. Still, it won't surprise me if I up a lb tomorrow because of the salt. Trying to drink a LOT of water tonight to make up for it.

Last edited by jeanyyy : Wed, May-07-03 at 21:58.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 22:21
Registered Member

BF:

Tee Hee.. We are on the same page I think!lol I actually DO NOT like the ginger...Love ginger ale and ginger in food but can't eat it with my fish...I wish I could have it more often...but the only good sushi place in Albuquerque, NM is PRICEY.

I have to admit I never was a real sugar freak (except my soda) but the salt...Lord help me!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Too bad you are not up in this area. We have some wonderful asian markets in the Seattle area. I just bought a bunch of pre-cut sashimi the other night for dinner. There were ~ 8 pieces in each container and the average price was $3.50 per container. I got some hamachi, maguro, smoked salmon and a really beautiful white tuna that I had never seen before.

We can also buy larger pieces of sashimi grade fish there - like the ahi tuna steaks - to die for - when lightly seared!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:

OHHH man your killing me! I could eat shashimi for a week and still have money left over..for one good meal here...(pouts) Well I guess thats one more reason to move to the northwest! (I have been thinking about it)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 23:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Yum Yum! Just had sashimi tonight at our fave Japanese restaurant. We go at least twice a month. I get the sashimi dinner, 16 pieces of seafood that varies by what's fresh. My favorite is yellowtail mackeral, very rich! With the dinner comes the cucumber salad (the vinegar is sweetened, but it's just a tiny bit!) and a green salad, miso soup, and rice. I give the rice to my husband. I checked the carbs on my home miso soup and it's negligable so I usually eat it at quality restaurants.

Tomorrow night we're going to a dinner party. Oh, YaY! They are serving steak and lobster! We are bringing the appetizers.......oysters on the half shell!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 10:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Try to use the low-sodium lite soy sauce (many restaurants have it) or you could go one step further and make your owm sashimi. I'm sure there's at least ONE fish market/gourmet store in Albuquerque where you can get sashimi-grade fish.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 315/285/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up

Tracy916: You are right about being lucky and living in Seattle. I love Seattle. The international district in Seattle is to die for if you like asian food. They not only have everything but it is fresh and good. My favorite market is the Uwajimaya market. They are online if anyone needs to know.

We live way inland where people don't know the dif between Sushi and Sashimi. We make our own Sushi here at home. We cannot get the grade of fish we need so we use other ingredients like smoked salmon, crab, shrimp, etc. Instead of the rice, I make "egg crepes" and lay flat on the nori. Add ingredients like cucumber, lettuce and avocado. We can't eat it without the pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. It just wouldn't be the same!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 269/245/150 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hey you sashimi girls! Love it. Had it 2 nights ago. I'm a Mackeral, Yellowtail and Salmon lover, love those buttery fishies. I also like to have the edamame, steamed soy beans. If you haven't tried it, do. High in protein and fiber.
I steer away from the pickled ginger as it is made with Aspartame, boo. Wonder if Splenda will make a good ginger?
Sometimes the sushi chefs can make a roll out of thinnnnnly sliced cucumber paper, no rice. They'lll put anything in it you like, me: avocado, cream cheese, salmon, green onions mmmmmm.
Elaine