Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Going camping

We are going camping this weekend and need some ideas for meals. We are on day #18 and my dh is still doing induction. I have started strawberries and nuts.

Are there any easy meals that can be prepared besides an omelot every morning? What about lunch? Dinner is easy--steak, polish sausage, hamburgers.

What about when everyone is smores??????? What can we have???

Holly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 18:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'd bring lots of lunchmeat and cheese and roll it up and make breadless sandwich rolls. Low carb tortillas are great to make wraps if you can spare the 3 carbs per.
About the only thing I can think of to do while others roast marshmellows for smores is to roast weiners.

Jamian
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:55

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Camping!

I was camping all weekend....ate lots of peanut butter. It was easy and didn't have to be refridgerated...

While the others were having smores, I made cowboy coffee. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Boil coffee grounds and cinnamon in water in a kettle. When it is done brewing (boiling for a few minutes), pour in one cup of cold, cold water, and it SHOULD pull the grounds to the bottom of the kettle. Pour carefully as to not disturb the fallen grounds!

HTH,

AMY
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 19:08

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default cowboy coffee

Amy, Great idea! Or if you can get your hands on a coffee press that would take care of the grounds issue for you.. I'm taking mine next time I go camping.

It depends on if you have refrigeration or not I guess.
If I were going camping i'd take flaxomeal for breakfast.. homemade or store-bought. It's the easiest, just add boiling water. Maybe make protein bars for snacks, and nuts & cheese sticks, cream cheese tubs with premade lc crackers or cheese "chips" for dipping, maybe mexican seven-layer dip with lc crackers, chips or whatever. Or tuna salad since the cans are so convenient. For lunch I'd consider hot dogs, hamburgers, simple taco's (meat, cheese, lc tortillas, etc) homemade chili (prepared beforehand) a number of low carb soups, precooked chicken you can reheat over the fire. shish kebabs? Just throwing some ideas out there.

As for s'mores..
you could try roasting some nuts in a ball of tinfoil on the fire perhaps? Not sure how it would work but it might be fun to try. You could even season them or try one of the recipes for pseudo honey roasted nuts.

This might be more trouble than it's worth but you could make your own low carb marshmallows.. I'm considering this for my next camping trip. I don't know how well they will toast though. You could even eat it with a piece of SF chocolate, but i don't know what you could do for the graham cracker.

"Marshmallows"

3 packets Knox gelatin -- or 3T. bulk gelatin
1/2 cup splenda
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup boiling water
-Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a mixing bowl.
-Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
-Add to boiling water in saucepan; cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
-Remove from heat.
-Cool to consistency of thick syrup.
-Stir in SplendaŽ and vanilla.
-Beat egg whites till soft peaks begin to form.
-Very slowly, trickle a small stream of gelatin mixture into egg white, beating until all gelatin is mixed in.
****Continue beating until light and fluffy (but not until they're dry.)
-Pour into pan, cool to set, and cut (smaller for "mini" marshmallows)!
-Perfect to sprinkle over puddings or berries and divine over pumpkin pie or mock sweet potato casserole!
-Entire recipe =14 carbs
-**Original recipe{9.5 carbs} called for 5 packets of Splenda but I found it wasn't sweet enough.Recipe fills a 9x13 pan!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTE: The recipe says to beat till fluffy!They sure mean that too!I thought I would beat just till peaks formed....well, I did it too much!The mallows set really quick when it is overbeaten!
C.

Last edited by nitrovixen : Tue, May-20-03 at 19:24.