Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 21:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Post Well.. my weekend OFF of Atkins....

If some of you may remember I put a post up last week about how Ive been stalled for about a month at 180 or so, only 10lbs from my goal.

I made a decision... I was going to go off Atkins for a weekend and then start induction all over again on monday, tomorrow. Im also gonna start running and some excercise.

My parents rented a cabin at Lake Tahoe, NV, for the weekend and I figured why not make it this weekend to relax and make it my "weekend off". So... I did it.. I cheated all weekend for 2 days. I didnt go nuts like I thought I would and matter of fact I had a REALLY hard time bringing myself to eat carbs. I mean.. dont get me wrong.. I DID eat a bunch of carbs but I was still finding myself limiting how much. Example.. my father brought a bunch of Coronas and lime.. I found myself making my way into town and buying a couple 6'ers of Ultra for the weekend. I was still drinking Diet Rite instead of Soda..... and I was snacking on deli meats and cheese instead of carbo-junk. My worst meal was on Sat night, we went to Chevys *mexican food* for my fathers 49th b-day. I had 2 shrimp and crab encheladas (sp?) along with a single corona and lime.

Anyways... even though I cheated I was still stuck on watching SOME of the carbs. Even though I cheated I dont feel any better that I had cheated, I kinda thought Id feel happy or giddy about having a good cheat, I dont and I dont feel thats a bad thing either. Maybe its my body and mind coming to grip with the fact that the Atkins WOE is the right way to eat, cause Ill tell you what, those few oreos I had this weekend didnt "hit the spot" at all.

Well.. back to induction on Monday.. darn.. back to Grilled Steak, steamed veggies, and bottled water. *sarcasm*

I love this WOE.

FYI... I got on the scale late this afternoon.. Im only a lb heavier then I was when I left on friday.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 22:13
Registered Member

Stats: 235/225/190
BF:
Progress: 22%

Good luck and keep us updated as to whether the carb shock worked. Isn't it amazing that even though you gave yourself permission to cheat you still had a hard time doing it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 22:19

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

omg I just experienced the same guilt! The weekends have been tough for me lately though. I am surrounded by carb junkies.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 191/187/165
BF:
Progress: 15%

I tried the same "carb shock" this weekend. I only did it for 1 day, actually 6 hours.
I also did find myself trying to limit my carb intake. I really did feel guilty afterwards. The ablility to binge did not make me feel better.
Wierd thing was I did not gain any weight.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 22:48

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hmm we all must have tried this act of binging this weekend LOL b/c i too was "carb shocking " but i have been doing it all week... only gained 2 lbs... and induction starts hard and heavy in the morn.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 23:58

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

Hey there - so maybe GOOD habits are hard to break as well! Best of luck starting induction again. Those last 10 pounds are always the hardest. We're all with you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 00:36

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I gained a few lbs due to "carb creap" so a couple days ago I decided to eat up the last of my fruit, cottage cheese, LC cookies, icecream, SF chocolates and then go back to induction. I also had half an apple and gobbed each slice with as much real peanutbutter as it could hold, and I threw in some taco bell for dinner (I knew I'd be eating enough carbs to kick me way out of ketosis anyway so I figured I might as well really make it worth it). I was extatic all day after that apple and pb. Was the best feeling I've had in months! Don't get me wrong, I love this WOE, but the battle with wanting more goodies than I could have was just getting to me. It totally satisfied me to release myself for a day, and I've been on induction for three days since w/o a single craving. I think it is healthier for me to do this once every couple months when the restrictions of the diet start getting to me rather than let it creep up agonizingly and end up gaining more than if I just let go for a day.

Just thought I'd share a positive carb binge experience.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 17:20

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 212.5/187/125
BF:
Progress: 29%
Wink

Hey everyone,

Well I've been on the Atkins way of life for a while now, and my mom, who keeps going on and off of it seemingly every month, well she decided that to motivate herself to do this way of life, that she would take off one day of the month and just eat whatever she felt like. Then I thought about that and it couldn't really hurt too much to eat whatever you want for one day a month for one meal, so I think that it's okay to cheat every once in a great while. It's not what you do right now, it's what you do every day that matters. I hope that you all do really well and I wish you the best of luck. Take care.