Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/175/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Discouraged

I am really discouraged and wondering if I can see this induction thro. I feel awful. It's day 11 of induction. I'm tired and been in the worse mood. I go thro periods in the day where i feel Ok and then I just feel so crappy....Like I'm running on empty. I've had the hot feeling/upset stomach/slight dizziness/tiredness....
I am drinking tons of water and also on vitamins. For potassuim I'm using the Atkins shake because I can't a small potassuim supplment to swallow. I'm eating through-out the day, around 1700 calories.
Fitday has really messed me up because it seems to underestimate or overestimate the carbs....When I think I'm right at 20 grams, I think it's been less.
I really don't want to give up. Struggling with being over-weight has truly ruined me as a person. But this is tough...
Any advice from you guys would be great.
I may increase my carbs for a few days and see if that helps. I've also heard that the Atkins Center offers doing the diet at higher carb levels, like 30, or 40....But I would talk with them for the details. Does anyone have info on that?
I have great respect for all of you who get thro induction
PS. No, I don't have a flu or bug....)
Thanks for listening,
Nan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 20:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I really feel for you. I went through an awful time in induction for about a week. I felt like I did have the flu, actually.

Did you also give up caffiene in induction? That might be a part of the problem if so.

I know that Protein Power and the Schwartzbein Principle start you off at a higher carb level than Atkins. You might want to check those out if you are not feeling any better in a day or so. Also, if you exercise that could be a part of it. I couldn't get through a workout in induction-you might want to take a break from exercise until your body adjusts.

Please keep us posted.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 20:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks )
I didn't give up coffee--1 cup in the morning
I have actually stopped exercising for the time being until I feel better....
Nan
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 02:55
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Nan!

I feel for you too! From what I hear you're doing things right - lots of water and enough calories, supplements etc.
Some people have terrible time during induction but I know it will pass. Are you getting most of your carbs from fresh veggies? I hope so.
Another thing - this WOE will start a real hormone battle for us women and until things regulate themselves we just have to keep going. I felt horrible in the beginning and around TOM the first three times. Make sure to eat good protein like meat/fish/chicken, keep on drinking water and don't forget those veggies. Keep in touch with us, I know you can do this!

Take care!

Alina
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 07:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Alina

Funny you mentioned the hormone thing. I did have my TOM last week and it was tougher than usual. So I can see where this WOL takes time for the body to adjust.
I'm getting most of my carbs from veggies and trying to eat enough all the way around. I think the calorie reduction overall is also very difficult--I've noticed some days having trouble eating 1400. I have an allergy to fish but I can eat chicken. Turkey makes me sick now. But I'm eating foods just on the induction list.
It's comforting to know that others have a difficult time on induction as well. I got thro the first week just fine....And then bam, my body just felt awful. I would really like to get to get to the 2 week mark, (this Thursday)
I'm disappointed too because my loss so far is not very good. I'm only down 3 pounds since I started....And there aren't any inches lost yet.....
I know feeling yucky isn't a reason to quit. I'm just hoping my body starts to adjust soon....
Thank you both for responding....The support on here is truly appreciated.
Nan
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:11
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You can get extra potassium by using Nu-salt or Halfsalt on your foods.

Also other foods have potassium in them like avacado, and you are allowed half a one on induction.

You are almost through and then you can add in 5 more carbs from green veggies and it should help even more.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 231.8/231.8/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I remember reading that Dr. Atkins...

Hello, sorry you having a tuff time! I never had induction yuckies, since I didn't start out doing induction levels (I am nursing a 21 month old).

But I distinctly remember reading that if you are feeling really bad (beyond those first few days of yuckies) at induction levels, then you should up your carbs---Dr. Atkins doesn't want you feeling lousy.

But where did I read it? I beleive it was on the Atkins Nutritionals site. Check around on the site and see what you can find out.

theresa, aka, 2moosmom
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:39

Plan: PP
Stats: 285/270/230
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Hang in there.....

Nan,

Hang in there, you will start feeling better before too long. First couple of weeks are rough, but you WILL start feeling better.....

Mark
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

Guys, I'm really upset--I got wicked dizzy walking the dog and it scared me. Of course it made me panic and probably feel even worse. I tried to eat breakfast and it turned my stomack--But I did force food down.
I read on the Atkins site that withdraw last a couple of days--But it's normal to happen in the first week--I'm in the second week. Is this still considered withdraw?
It does say that if you feel this to up your carbs with added veggies.....So that's my next step.
If I give up, there's just nothing really left--I've tried it all and failed.
Nan
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:57
SPOILED

Nan,

you should look at the %. Around 10% is fair for induction. I promise you this works. I've just lost weight after 8 weeks of waiting and it's very common. Accepting it will make this a lot easier. As I said - I think you are doing things right and it's strong of you to go on. It will pay off!

Alina

EDIT: try to add more veggies. It would really help to log into fitday - it can calculate which nutrient you get too little of. I would guess - iron, so eat broccoli and spinach.

Last edited by Alina : Mon, May-19-03 at 08:59.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:59
Registered Member

BF:
Default %??

I'm still confused on the %, Alina....
I need to loose 40 pounds total.....So what % am I looking at?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:00
SPOILED

Your stats say you've lost 9%. Some people have metabolic resistance but they still lose weight, only slowly.

Having TOM last week can mean you need more iron, the symptoms you describe are typical for iron shortage (not only of course).

Apart from dark green veggies meat is a great source of iron, do you eat it or just chicken? I still think the solution is in what you eat.

Last edited by Alina : Mon, May-19-03 at 09:14.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:12
Registered Member

BF:

I am actually taking a muti-vitamin with iron but I can try adding the right veggies-Spinach/brocoli and ????
Fitday is frustrating--I only use it to see my calories/fat/protein but I don't trust the carb counting.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:17
SPOILED

Even if you don't trust the carb count - go to "reports" and check which nutrients you get every day and how much. I do it every day, had too low iron a month ago and boy did I feel awfull.
Just a thought!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:22
Registered Member

BF:

Alina,
The reports says I am at 47.40 for Iron in the past week 1/2.....Is that too low?