Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Did you believe lowcarb would work when you first started?
Yes, definitely 34 28.33%
No way, not a chance 19 15.83%
Cautiously optimistic 67 55.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Did you believe lowcarb would work when you first started?

When I started low carbing last July, my attitude was "There's no way this is going to work. What the heck, I've tried everything else, so what if I gain more weight eating all this fat."

I'm so happy to have been wrong!

How about everyone else?

judy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:42

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

You should have seen the disbelif on my face when my husband first mentioned that we should try this diet. Nope, didn't think it would work - I thought it would send our cholesterol through the roof.

It works, and it lowered the cholesterol.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:50
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Very good question!

I recognized myself in the description of a carboholic to 100%. I knew it was me. But I still could not believe this would work. Once I got the "energy kick" in the first week of induction I knew this was working.

Here I am over 3 months later.
And yes, I had blood work done 7 weeks into Atkins, I was very nervous about the results and they came up just fine.

Congratulation on your progress, Judy!

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 07:54

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

No, I couldn't believe I would EVER lose weight on a diet where I wasnt hungry all the time. I did it for my health and was amazed when the lbs started falling off.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 07:55

Stats: 244/165/150 Female 5'5"
BF:It is scary!
Progress: 84%

I knew it would work bc my mom has been maintaining a 70lb loss for a year and my dad lost 60lbs about 6mnths ago and maintaining. So I just had to motivate myself and I have my parents and this board that helps me so much!!!Thanks everyone and good luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 08:05

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I heard about Atkins from a friend who'd lost weight on it...So, I knew you could lose weight. But, I was still very doubtfull it would work for me.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 09:03

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I remember in 1967 meeting a friend of my roommate .She came in exhausted from shopping, dropped herself on a chair and proceeded to munch on a small wheel of cheese and said she was on a new diet.
I was horrified.
What year did the LC diet hit the public?
Pene
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 12:03

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally posted by penelope
I remember in 1967 meeting a friend of my roommate .She came in exhausted from shopping, dropped herself on a chair and proceeded to munch on a small wheel of cheese and said she was on a new diet.
I was horrified.
What year did the LC diet hit the public?
Pene

Dr Atkins went on a Low-Carb diet after reading about it in a 1964 edition of the Journal of the AMA. He was first published (in Vogue) about 1970. His first book didn't come out until about 1972 or so. I find it ridiculous that the AMA was so ardently anti-Atkins, when they were the ones who suggested he go on a LC Diet 39 years ago.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:15

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I never thought it would work this well. I was thinking it would help me lose 10 or 15 lbs and then I wouldn't be able to take it anymore. Well, almost 70 lbs later here I am
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 21:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5.5
BF:Si, mucho!
Progress: 0%

No way did I think this would work. It is against everything I had been taught. And every starvation diet I had been on. But I just could not live that way.. Eating a skinless baked chicken breast and a vegtable and or rice everyday. The first day I tried this I ate 2 pieces of chicken with the skin on.. Oh my God! It has been years since I have eaten the skin of chicken and let me tell you I felt guilty. I swear I knew the next day I would wake up and have gained at least 5 pounds... I also thought I would never be able to give up my breads and crackers and all my carbs that I loved so much. But 3 weeks later I still feel strong..... I pray this is a new way of life for me and that I can always feel this free...

Thank you everyone here for all you love and support so far. I am a newbie and do not have a lot of experience to share yet, but one day maybe I too can help someone. Thanks Again. God Bless.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 04:19
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I wasn't really sure it would work for me because I have a slow thyroid and I am a vegetarian. I had tried low fat/low calorie and exercised 5-6 days a week and lost 4 pounds in 3 or 4 months. I went to the doctor September 18 2002 and was almost sure he would tell me that this was the best I could expect. He put me on a low carb diet (he didn't use the name Atkins, but told me to limit it to 20 g of carbs) for two weeks to see what would happen. Since my mother and brother were both on Atkins and it was working for them I called them and asked about the rules. They made fun of me since I was pretty anti-Atkins at the time! Then I went and bought the book. Amazingly enough I lost 4 pounds in those 2 weeks and my doctor and I decided to keep on. I was half expecting it to stop working for me and I didn't really become completely convinced until I had lost 20 pounds and my blood work came back perfect.

I was a little concerned about eating more soy as I had heard and read where it can screw up your thyroid as well. I was not willing to go back to eating meat. My doctor reviewed some articles and told me that there did not seem to be a consensus on that and since we were going to watch my thryoid very carefully, not to worry. So far, so good. My thryoid levels are great, my other blood levels are perfect and I am down a total of 34 pounds-but even more amazing I have lost 10.5 inches in my waist ALONE.

My brother lost 25 pounds and my mother lost 40 pounds. My dad saw these results and started Atkins himself. He had done it years ago, but went back to his old eating habits when he originally lost the weight and ballooned back up. He is now at a healthy weight as well. My whole family has lost 124 pounds so far.

I have become a complete convert.

Last edited by Paleoanth : Mon, May-19-03 at 04:21.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 07:27

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I knew it was going to work because my sister in law lost 20 lbs in 2 months doing it and this was with drinking beer. It is the only "plan" that I felt great doing and with each loss of pounds and inches it gave me more incentive to stay LC. This is why I will always be LCing...maybe not as intensely as now during wieght-loss but definitely I will never go back to eating high-carb again!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking My own personal Science experiment

With my science background I treated it like an experiment. I had read the Zone and suspected that my problem was eating too many carbs. But how to change - I could not figure out how to reduce what I was eating and drinking. The Zone was too complicated. The Atkins way was easy for me. Still would doing this LC diet really work? - I went cold turkey and after first week lost a couple lbs. Started getting excited then after 1 month and 18 lbs down - was jumping up and down. The chemistry of cutting down carbs to 20 gm and ketosis is a marvel. It worked far beyond what I expected!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 269/269/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was a bit skeptical when I first went on it. I've not lost any weight but no longer have to take insulin and my sugars are normal.

I wish I could get the weight to come off now...I see some folks her melting away but not me.

But the results of my diabetes makes up for the weight loss.

Birdy...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 11:03

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%
Default Welll

I thought what the heck. I'll try it !