Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:24
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Need help w/ eating habits!!!

Ive been very satisfied with my weight loss so far but now i only want to lose 5-10 more pounds.
But ever since induction, ive been eating bars and sf things. I still lost weight but now im in a definate stall
I'm really trying to keep all the bars and sf things out of my life now. I eat them everyday!!! I cant help it!!!
Today, i ate good LC stuff.....but on wednesday, im getting my delivery of Atkins bake mix and quick quisine things
Is this ok?
Since i deprived myself of a REAL induction, i have to do it now. I was thinking about doing the EGG DIET (only eggs) But......just cant resist. Its like a diet within a diet.
So, can you please help me and suggest some ideas and recipes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 23:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, would you please give us an example of what you eat each day ? You know I hate to say it, you probably don't want to hear it, but I'm a MOM so I'm going to say it!!
Your Goal weight may be a little under for your height and you say you've been low carb'n for 3 years ?? My goodness girl, you body is still developing, You need more good carbs in your diet. Why do you feel you have to lose so much weight ? If you have been eating these bars instead of real food, sorry girl, it is not healthy, at any age.
There is tons of recipes in the recipe threads and read other peoples Journals to see what they are eating.

Waiting to hear from you
Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sat, May-17-03 at 23:26.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 07:32

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

I bet if you went to the recipe section of this site, you'd find help. But, I would advise you not to get too worked up......it sounds like you'll worry yourself right out of the diet! Just relax, and pre-plan some sweet treats throughout your day, so that you can stay away from the bars. Try jello with whipped cream, maybe just a small square of LC chocolate. How about going to 1/2 a bar a day, just to wean yourself off? Also, I don't know that the LC bread mixes are a "bad" thing. Maybe others have more experience with it than I do though.

Good luck, and hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

According to your profile, you are 15, 125 lbs., and 5'6". It sounds like you are a nice size already. I would forget the egg diet thing or any other diet. At your age you don't want to start the diet game. Just eat LC meals and get plenty of exercise. The young girls I know that are slim are runners or play sports in school. You have done great so far with LC. Try replacing those LC bars with some LC veggies. Dallasalis
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 12:54

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Hey

Where are you in Brooklyn, the 5th ave street fair is going on today and it was a lot of fun !

We keep telling you that you are already small for your frame, but you never explain why you still want to lose weight, why?
If you are that height and weight and 14 years old and still not satisfied with your body, what exactly is it?
your parents are supporting this diet so they think its ok, do they agree with what size they think you should be?
I'm not the police, but I want to make sure you are OK. Giving advice is a powerful thing and it makes me responsible and more so when I give it to someone your age so I have to get some answers from you before I feel OK about it.
That said I'll tell you what I did when I was a 14 year old overweight girl- I joined the soccer team. I know that most schools around here have very limited sports programs, but they have phys ed and they ususally have track so through the phys ed department you could ask about what you could do to make yourself healthy or look the way you want to look. There is the NY Road Runners Club, and they have an age level that you are at, if school sports dont work out, then maybe check that out? I see kids your age running in Prospect park together so there must be something up. They say kids are overweight now adays from watching TV!!!
If you can do it through exercise and and awareness of how bad refined sugar and flour are then you will be much better off for life than me ! I took until now to realize what sugar and flour do to my body-its about learning how to be healthy not learning to lose weight quickly.
You should be able to eat natural sugar in the form of fruit not candy you know that !!!
That said, whats up with your idea of how you look? What do you want to change?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Since i deprived myself of a REAL induction, i have to do it now. I was thinking about doing the EGG DIET (only eggs) But......just cant resist. Its like a diet within a diet.

Diana...with so little (if any ) left to lose, you should be moving out of induction and well into ongoing weight loss. Doing an all egg diet or something similar is still not teaching you good eating habits. You should be eating some type of protein, fat and a good serving of low carb veggies at nearly every meal. With so little left to lose, you could even begin to introduce small amounts of lower GI fruits and nuts back into your diet and perhaps even some whole grains.
Save those low carb bars, candies and muffins for occasional treats and don't use them as your main source of food.

FWIW, a stall is defined as a period of 4-6 weeks without a loss of pounds or inches and you may not be losing any more because your body has simply decided that this a good healthy weight for you and will fight you trying to get any lower.

Just because you're getting your shipment of stuff on Wednesday doesn't mean that you have to consume it all right then. Try going at least a few weeks without all the artificial stuff and eating real meats, veggies and such and see how you feel; it's difficult to learn healthy eating habits unless you are actually practicing them.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:36
aznlily68

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thank you so much for your replies and care
Ive been told all my life that im skinny....but my body is completly out of proportion. My thighs are garganutous but u can see my ribs/lungs. I used to run the brooklyn bridge back and forth twice a week to work out my legs. But i just got weaker and weaker. I just want to lose some on my legs and people say that if i keep up with atkins long enough, thigh fat goes away.
I'm transferring to another high school next year and Im trying out for many different sports (soccer, track, tennis, volleyball, bowling) I hope i can get into a team
Every time i quit a diet, i gain so much and even if i dont look fat, i really feel fat.
I just want to be 100% satisfied before i stop. I promise i will stop and be more loose with my food. But, i have so little left to go!
Thanks a lot for caring...you guys are great
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 16:35

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

OOps it' looks like you may of duplicated the post ?? Just a different title. So thought I'd bump this one up
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
My thighs are garganutous but u can see my ribs/lungs. I used to run the brooklyn bridge back and forth twice a week to work out my legs. But i just got weaker and weaker. I just want to lose some on my legs and people say that if i keep up with atkins long enough, thigh fat goes away.

Oh, Diana!

There isn't a diet on the planet that will let you chose where the weight comes off from. It sounds to me like you have a pear shape...your thighs and hips tend to be the largest and your top/middle smaller. Dieting can not change your natural body shape. If you can see your ribs, then you're quite thin enough. I'm very concerned that you may be developing an eating disorder in trying to force your body into a shape that it wasn't meant to have through excessive dieting, especially when you say that others tell you that you're thin, but you still feel fat. Very few people are 100% happy with their bodies even when others feel that they are beautiful, even models. No matter how thin you get, there will always be some part of you that you are not completely satisfied with.
If exercising makes you feel weaker and does not build muscle, then you're likely not getting enough protein and food in general. I other words...you're not eating enough and not enough of the right things.
Diana, you're still young and growing. Stop being so critical of yourself and start nourishing your body with the right foods in the right amounts, especially if you are planning on getting involved in sports. You won't be able to perform at your best when your body isn't being given the nourishment that it needs.
You can continue with low carb, even when participating in sports, but I'd recommend that you do it at maintainance levels of carb instead of induction levels.
Please take care of yourself.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:39

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Smile Hey

Hey Diana,
I have to agree with Lisa,
this diet WILL NOT remove just your thigh 'fat'. I too have never lost my thigh fat since I turned 25-neither can my roommate and she runs the NYC Marathon When you get older it gets harder!

This is a picture of what we do to ourselves when we focus on a part of our bodies that we cant change no matter what we do

Instead of believing what people are telling you about Atkins to lose your thigh fat, believe what you see, which is no one who loses weight in one part of thier body without it coming off all over. It is sad but true that some people have big thighs, look at Serena Williams the tennis player who is in the best shape anyone could be, and she has really big thighs.

If you can see your ribs, you are at the END of a weight loss program. If I saw ribs on my dog, I would go to the Dr.
You need to go to a Dr. You need to go to a NUTRITIONIST. You said your parents would pay for any food, well it would cost about the same to go to a Dr. to see what you can do to lose weight in your thighs only. When the Dr. meets with you and your parents she or he can tell you exactly what to do, I promise !

You will be wasting your time to do this any other way please please please go to the Dr. You will not lose your thigh fat by doing Atkins or eating eggs. You are a smart young lady, and you can make yourself look exactly like you want to if you go to the Dr. If that doesnt work out, please come back here and tell us what happened and maybe we can help.

I hated running when I was your age too !!! Because it hurt to run so much and I felt better playing easier sports. I was never tired from it till much later, but I was eating as much as my Dad back then

But playing soccer did makes my thighs much smaller and I was still eating everything I wanted to. So there is hope for you once you see the Nuritionist Dr.
Tell your parents you want to see one today !

#11   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:10

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally posted by aznlily68

Every time i quit a diet, i gain so much and even if i dont look fat, i really feel fat.
I just want to be 100% satisfied before i stop. I promise i will stop and be more loose with my food. But, i have so little left to go!

aznlily --
Low carbing is NOT about being satisfied with one's weight loss and then stopping.

Low carbing is a lifestyle. I know you've seen lots of mentions of WOL on this board -- that stands for Way of Life.

If you quit low carbing and go back to eating carbohydrates, you're going to gain weight.

What you need to do, in addition to the advice of everyone who has come before me, is get ready for the later phases of Atkins.

Maintenance is so named because you figure out how much carbohydrate can eat and not gain weight -- and that's what you eat. Period!

You may wish to consider exploring the possibility of consulting with a nutritionist at the Atkins Center, which is in Manhattan.
http://atkinscenter.com/about/atkins-center/index.html
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

According to the BMI chart here, for someone who is 5'6" your normal weight is between 118-148. 115 is underweight for someone of your height. I agree with everyone else who's posted that your goal weight is not a reasonable or healthy weight for your height. 125 is a healthy medium for your height.