Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/270/199 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question Falling off the wagon and trying to get back on ... help

I fell off the Atkins wagon about a month ago. I'd like to get back on and it seems so much harder.

I wonder how do you get back on? Is there any good tips I should do this time around? I fell off before because I was bored with the food/diet and was very busy/stressed in my life.

Not to mention, I was TIRED of salads and meats, how do you all not get bored/tired of the same foods??

Oh well, I am still exercising - so that's a plus and I only gained about five lbs back more or less. But I really want to get back on this diet.

So please if anyone could give me a few pointers, I'm guessing the first couple of days will be pure hell...hehe.

Thanks!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 21:51

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

One thing that keeps me from ever going off this WOE is remembering how crappy I felt all the time before I started Atkins and how much better I feel now that I'm LCing.

Maybe you could remember how great you felt eating LC. As for the food, I'm really quite content and satisfied and find the menu much less boring that any other plan I've ever tried. I make the food alot of different ways, just check out some of the recipes on this forum for ideas. And don't forget all the other great veggies besides just salad you can have!

You can do it! And this is a great place to come for the support and encouragement you need. Go for it!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 01:27

Stats: 183/140/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I agree with Pugzilla. What keeps me on this WOE is how crappy I felt for many years before I found it.

I have at times been bored, too, and have gone through spruts where I have tried endless recipies trying to vary my diet. In the end, I settled for a few things I like that are easy to fix, and that I know keep me within my carb range. The fact that there is no hunger at all for me on the WOE is what really helped condition me to look forward to eating these foods. True there is not much variety, but I look at it now as a good habit I created to replace the bad habits, and I much prefer it. It just takes time and commitment, that's all.

Hang in there.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Hi Yentl22

Boy do I know that feeling! I was good as gold for just over a year. For the past 5-6 months I got just plain lazy, and gained back 15 pounds.

I'm back on now after some hard soul searching. What inspired me is the post in the general forum about addictions/comparison to alcoholics.

What's worked for me is taking it one day at a time. Each day I wake up and say to myself "This is going to be a low carb day" If I want to cheat, I repeat "This is going to be a low carb day". I've lost 2 pounds this week.

Keep at it...one day at a time, one meal at a time, or one mouthful at a time. Small victories win the war.

Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:16

Stats: 221/206/175
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default me too

I am back for the second round of Atkins now also.

Last year I lost 35 pounds, and was about 10 pounds away from my goal weight. Then I got lazy, psyched myself out that I "deserved" a few cheats, and eventually put the weight back on - plus one pound.

I was really pissed off at myself, so am back on it now - and I am finding that the weight does not come off as easily the second time (in my case anyway). So this time I am going to stick to it, because I don't want to have to start over again.

Here's an idea - get a picture of yourself when you were at a good weight (maybe high school if necessary). Post it where you can see it regularly. That helps me anyway.

Scott
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

There's a saying, "You are what you eat". This is true mentally as well. Your train of thought goes to the knowledge you've been taking in, what you've been thinking about. You can use this in your favor by doing a lot of reading. Get out your Atkins book and re-read it. You can go read the success stories here.

In the end, ask yourself, "What do I want?" Another tip: There's a saying that's a favorite of mine. "Success is a matter of the made up mind." Make up your mind, and do it. When you get in the habit, it's not so hard, it's just those first weeks.

You mention boredom. Take it as a personal challenge to find 2 new recipes a week. Use the forums search function to find recipes with your favorite ingredients, especially vegetables. Have you tried the pizza quiche or the cheeseburger casserole?

Look forward. Do you want to be in the same jeans next May? Ask yourself this, "The person I want to be, what would she do?"

Hope this helps
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:46

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

I asked this question about a month ago and someone suggested that I stand in front of the mirror w/out clothes and jump up and down....if that's not a reason (for me) I don't know what is!!!

I agree, you just take it one day at a time...tell yourself to "low carb it" and sit back and enjoy the results. I'm back today after 4 days of being off and they scare of gaining back the weight I lost has brought me back.

Good luck and I didn't check to see if you had a journal, but this has helped me a ton, even on the days that I BLEW it! The support here has also helped me and the success stories...well, they speak for themselves! Talk about motivation!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:42

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

set a day 3 or 4 days from today - that's your start date! You now have a few days to eat what you want, because starting next week - you'll be on your way to feeling great!

I started the Tuesday after Easter - that weekend I ate a bag of jelly beans and after every bite I told myself to enjoy it and remember it.

Now I look forward to steak and eggs every AM and cheese and peperoni every afternoon.

"you only have to control today, don't worry about tomorrow"

Good luck and can't wait to hear your results!